Booze and cycling

Guest Travis.

2 Panado's (or any paracetamol) with lots of water before you hit the pillow. You may be left with a hangUNDER but definitely no hangOVER.

Agree. I prefer aspirin, but if you have heartburn issues, then paracetemol is kinder on you.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How long is a piece of string?

The odd tipple aint going to make no difference, go large and you'll suffer. (My argus times are slower whenever there's a batchelors the night before).

There used to do an anti drink/driving campaign during maties orientation week – the Buddy program (probably still going). Would be pamphlets, videos, the odd written off car wreck in the student centre etc all to raise awareness.

The one year they did an inter res ‘trials’ competition with a difference. Each res nominates a rider, and has to negotiate a trials course they set up in a parking lot. If they dab, or miss an obstacle they’re out. To get to the next round, you need to down a beer. The idea was (obviously) that the more you drink, the harder it becomes to balance.

It backfired, SPECTACULARLY.

It was going according to plan, by the fourth round there were only a handful of guys left. BUT, they had all now practiced on the route and were getting better. Two of the guys were sh1thot cyclists too with amazing bikehandling – the guy from our res actually did trials. They got to about 14 beers each, and even had a few TCs along the way. By then they were doing wheelies, stoppies, no handers..generally showing off and the crowd was loving it. With the whole purpose blown out of the sky, the organisers stopped the challenge. Didn’t happen again.

Would have made for an interesting study this past weekend at Farmasutra.

I imagine the main challenge would be to find a control group that wasn't drinking...

And now for the best advice anyone will ever give you. Those that use this preventative medication already will vouch for me.

2 Panado's (or any paracetamol) with lots of water before you hit the pillow. You may be left with a hangUNDER but definitely no hangOVER.

Agree. I prefer aspirin, but if you have heartburn issues, then paracetemol is kinder on you.

The water will help immensely, but the drugs aren't doing anything for you. They are not long-acting enough to have an effect on the pain the next day, and I will bet everything I have that its the rehydration attempt that is making you better rather than the drugs. So save your stomach lining from aspirin and leave it alone.

Everything in moderation won't hurt, I've ridden after a thick joll and feel and ride like ***.... I try to avoid drinking the night before!

The water will help immensely, but the drugs aren't doing anything for you. They are not long-acting enough to have an effect on the pain the next day, and I will bet everything I have that its the rehydration attempt that is making you better rather than the drugs. So save your stomach lining from aspirin and leave it alone.

I would imagine it has more to do with the blood thinning aspects of the medication than anything. Better absorption of fluids, maybe. I dunno. But it does seem to work.

Whenever I've drunk the night before I ride I can generally go longer than when I haven't, and had less sleep.

And to mirror Droo - top of Cobra as a kaaaaaak off session works wonders. The sweat is even worse when you've been drinking Cappies though. Or bermudan rum. Yisssus. That 140 proof stuff is lethal! Goslings 140 & Irn Bru. Awesome. And so smooth! Fark. A mate and I polished a full bottle off in one day. Granted, we started at 10, but still. It was a potjie. You can't potjie and NOT drink...

Guest Travis.

Last year at Aurgust 2 of my mates and I decided that we won't make our time we set before the race and went out drinking. Had lots to drink, went home late, hell even missed our starting group...I still beat the time we set.

So I really don't think booze screws you up that bad. Either you can take it, or you can't.

Go balls to the wall like Rouxtjie said and kotch and get it over with. Or do the water and headache tablets thing. I normally do both. Nothing stranger than being drunk and getting on the bike...

You without booze will be much, much faster than you with booze.

I gave up dop and my times improved drastically.

All depends on how fast you are and how fast you want to be.

Last year at Aurgust 2 of my mates and I decided that we won't make our time we set before the race and went out drinking. Had lots to drink, went home late, hell even missed our starting group...I still beat the time we set.

So I really don't think booze screws you up that bad. Either you can take it, or you can't.

Go balls to the wall like Rouxtjie said and kotch and get it over with. Or do the water and headache tablets thing. I normally do both. Nothing stranger than being drunk and getting on the bike...

What was the time you set?

Guest Travis.

What was the time you set?

I'm not really trying to play who's got the fastest time. Would it matter?

I'm not really trying to play who's got the fastest time. Would it matter?

It's academic, not about bragging.

If you were trying a sub three on a hangover your question would be much more pertinent than 3:30 or 4:00 which are manageable even if you are not feeling great.

I would never race for time after drinking but a few beers before a scenic marathon would probably work.

PS a good test of your booze riding threshold would be SA SS champs or actually any SS event...

time start training :devil:

When living in London, Friday nights we used to drink between 8-10 pints of wife beater then cycle home along the cycle path, used to be steaming when I got home and normally was asleep by 8pm, then wake up and go for a ride in the morning. Miss those days.

Generally I'm not such a big drinker, but it's the festive season and getting in plenty of practice for Xmas - My body is a temple :thumbup:

Guest Latent Blue

And now for the best advice anyone will ever give you. Those that use this preventative medication already will vouch for me.

I sold these in the hostel as a student for some cash

2 myprodols, 2000mg of VitC, Some Bco tablets - to take with some sugar water. Works like a bomb

Historically I haven't really suffered from hangovers (apart from a few times). I learned early on: its the alcohol left in your stomach when you go to bed that creates the problem: Purge before going to bed, easy as that...

When living in London, Friday nights we used to drink between 8-10 pints of wife beater then cycle home along the cycle path, used to be steaming when I got home and normally was asleep by 8pm, then wake up and go for a ride in the morning. Miss those days.

Generally I'm not such a big drinker, but it's the festive season and getting in plenty of practice for Xmas - My body is a temple :thumbup:

Stella ol stella....I must say beer hangovers are easy to handle on a bike the next day...just go get the poison out. But tequila / shots and rum and coke gives me a creeping hangover, the worst of them all. You feel "moegmens" for the whole day...you actaully feel kakker at lunchtime vs when you just wake up.

Ooooo eh eh...mankele SS champs are going to be rof this year.