[Event] Carnival City Macsteel National Classic Cycle Race

Frosty

IMO, that stretch of road is just pure dangerous...

What gets on my nerves today is that, the very same company of truck drivers were driving as close as they can to the shoulder lane (that nearly taken me out of action :angry:), right after they've driving past through that tragic accident scene...

On a different note, Thanks once again to the event organizer for today's event! :thumbup:

the same here. I got hit by a mirror of a Merc ML on my shoulder, luckily I was not injured. I was on the yellow line. His mirror broke off and he did not even stopped to see if we were ok.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got dropped from the B group between Heidelberg and Nigel. Finished in 2:50.

I feel pretty *** about my ride. I accidentally switched a guy when I tried to move through a gap that was too small. My back quick release caught his spokes and snapped about 6 of his spokes. Luckily no one came down. I found the guy afterwards and apologized. It was a stupid mistake. I will endeavour to not do it again.

Well done to the organizers. I thought it was very well run. I found the start was much less chaotic than last year. :thumbup:

Condolences to the family of the deceased rider.

I feel the organization was top notch and the event and route very enjoyable, big plus on sorting out the prize giving so quickly! Will be back next year for sure...Well done!

Oh my word, but I had a terrible race! And not because of the race organisers, which as usual, did a stellar job! :clap:

This was my first long distance after the injury form the fall of the ladder as per this post: https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/134593-off-from-cycling-for-a-while/?do=findComment&comment=2168624

My injured calf (left one), began cramping like mad just after we turned back to the finish at Nigel. That last 25 - 30kms was terrible and seemed to never end. I finished the race in 03:44, where my usual finish time is ±03:15. But, I finished without stopping even once! And, I suppose it also is the age catching up with me, seeing today is my 51st birthday.

I got dropped from the B group between Heidelberg and Nigel. Finished in 2:50.

I feel pretty *** about my ride. I accidentally switched a guy when I tried to move through a gap that was too small. My back quick release caught his spokes and snapped about 6 of his spokes. Luckily no one came down. I found the guy afterwards and apologized. It was a stupid mistake. I will endeavour to not do it again.

Well done to the organizers. I thought it was very well run. I found the start was much less chaotic than last year. :thumbup:

Last year WAS chaotic, mainly because we accepted the late request from CSA to increase the distance for the Elites. This year we had a year to get the right distance.

Please keep your comments, complaints and suggestions coming, so I can include it in the post race debriefing.

Edited by geraldm24

Oh my word, but I had a terrible race! And not because of the race organisers, which as usual, did a stellar job! :clap:

This was my first long distance after the injury form the fall of the ladder as per this post: https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/134593-off-from-cycling-for-a-while/?do=findComment&comment=2168624

My injured calf (left one), began cramping like mad just after we turned back to the finish at Nigel. That last 25 - 30kms was terrible and seemed to never end. I finished the race in 03:44, where my usual finish time is ±03:15. But, I finished without stopping even once! And, I suppose it also is the age catching up with me, seeing today is my 51st birthday.

Happy birthday Jaco

The 23rd February 2014 is a day that the Road Rangers will never forget. The loss of a cyclists can be seen as just another statistic, just another traffic accident that is lost among the thousands of traffic news reports published everyday but this accident was close to home for Road Rangers.

The Carnival City Macsteel Cycle Challenge is a very prestigious event, meticulously planned and executed by the club members of the Germiston Wheelers Cycle Clubwith the assistance from many other volunteers, EMPD etc. As well as it is planned and executed, one can never be assured that something will not go wrong.

So many cyclists die on our roads every year, some while training, some at cycling events due to unforeseen circumstances and/or accidents.

Road Rangers Safety Marshals has been involved with the Carnival City Macsteel Cycle Challenge with ER24 EMS Ltd. for 4 years and this past race must have been the most devastating of all.

The Road Rangers was first on scene minutes after the accident occurred, medical training kicked in and emotions left aside to treat the patient best we could. Resuscitation was initiated after vitals were checked and it was ascertained that the patient is not breathing nor having a pulse.

@ER24 EMS Ltd was on scene within minutes and worked with Road Rangers on the patient.The ALS medic took over the scene and after +- 45 minutes the patient was declared deceased.

Road Rangers would like to thank the following people working at the scene:

- All the Rangers assisting

- Colin from ER24 SMSD

- ER24 Team

- EMPD Bike Squad

- SAPS

- Heidelberg Medical and Trauma Volunteers

Condolences to the family and friends. Words cannot describe the loss of a precious life.

It is incredibly sad that an event such as this, which I thought was extremely well organised and executed on the day had to result with a fatality. My heartfelt condolences to the family of the lady that passed away. RIP fellow cyclist.

In my group (VA) we had bike marshals with us the whole time and directing traffic in such a manner to not even get close to us.

The marshaling in general was fantastic with all road obstacles such as potholes very clearly marked with neon spray paint.

This event calls for more and more cyclists each year with the organizing being top notch, and I was glad to see the loop route worked out perfectly!!

I for one will definitely be back!! :thumbup:

Liked the event. :thumbup: Liked the organization, and the marshals. :thumbup: Liked the extra distance for VA/VB. :thumbup:

Liked the demon faces spraypaint to mark potholes and the "oh ****" spraypaint at certain places :w00t: but only after I got dropped :mellow:

Just before my wife and I came accross the tragic scene, where the young lady had the encounter with the coal truck, we discussed what a hair raising section of the race this was. Two way trafic, tons of trucks and almost no shoulder on the road.

Sad to say, after many years of enjoyable racing we are seriously reviewing our participation in road events in future.....

Well done to the event safety guys on the motor bikes.

E

Enjoyed the raced but the seeding sucked

Was seeded in DL, caught up with a lot of the CL guys in the first 20km and went passed a big CL group as we turned right to Heidelberg.

One of the VA guys rode with us, strong bugger who won the sprint.

Finished in 2h54

Will definitely be back!

The spray paint (water soluble) gave us many problems with the rain on Saturday afternoon and overnight. A lot of the spray was washed away or thinned down.

Just before my wife and I came accross the tragic scene, where the young lady had the encounter with the coal truck, we discussed what a hair raising section of the race this was. Two way trafic, tons of trucks and almost no shoulder on the road.

Sad to say, after many years of enjoyable racing we are seriously reviewing our participation in road events in future.....

Well done to the event safety guys on the motor bikes.

E

We have just this morning decided - Full Road closure only - from now on for us.

The spray paint (water soluble) gave us many problems with the rain on Saturday afternoon and overnight. A lot of the spray was washed away or thinned down.

Gerald, please check your pm's! Am trying to trace a bike for a friend who crashed in KL

Great race, and always one of my fastest times. Started in CL group, they kept the tempo up from the start; then we had a massive crash, two guys in front went down, then person right front could do nothing but went straight over, I braked and narrowly missed him but went into opposite side of road with car approaching; heads up to guys shouting to avoid it; as I looked back, I saw lots of riders smashing into previous guys. Race proceeded well; then felt strong at about 60km mark and found myself two guys from front (won't attempt this again); almost got dropped; don't know were got strength but kept on; drag over highway always my nemesis; luckily it was down hill after that; kept in bunch; right to end and guys started opening up; respectable 2:46.

RIP fellow cyclist.