this AR the Adventure Racing thread

Shebeen

You will be missed Dave!

I have a sneaky confession that I will be filthy, smelly and free this week and again in November on Reunion Island...... It seemed worthwhile

Super jealous about reunion hey, 

Hope you packed a strong enough towrope so Leo doesn't stretch it too far...

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooh Golly! I'm getting excited just to dot watch you maniacs, frantically scurrying around like a lost domestic kitty in the night...

so an update on the race...

A few of the top SA teams are currently in striking range, although 2 of them are currently well off course on the hike.

Shebeen is taking a low line to try slingshot past Jewbacca on this 200km cycle which took the fastest team 17 hours. The 3km long straight up the escarpment hike a bike section looked like good fun...  .... naat...

Shebeen's team taking a nice tigerline to CP 26. That CP wreaked havoc with the top teams today - hope visibility is a bit better than lunchtime. Gonna be a cold night out for them but report are that the rain cleared up a bit.

http://live.arworldseries.com/africa18/

Jewbacca's team slighly ahead of Shebeen's. Both on their way to Jamaca. Both spent the night out on the mountains. Rumours are it's very wet, but visibility must have cleared up a bit - the last few teams got CP26  much quicker than the leading teams yesterday.

Parallel (Jewbacca) arrived at T5 a short while ago after a night on the wet mountain.

Shebeen (Rustproof) is about a kilometer away. I'm sure they'll appreciate hot coffee, peanut butter sandwiches and dry clothes when they get in!

After bad visibility / their nav error costed them some time on the mountain, Keyhealth is chasing down teams. They were down to 22nd place, and now already in 15th.  Now chasing the Swedish team Naturkompaniet and then it's Antimatter, Castle Light, Black Diamond - would be interesting to see which of these they can catch while still on the bike leg.

Parallel didn't waste time at the hike/bike transition and are now on their way to the Clanwilliam dam. Rustproof is still at T5.

Jabberwock also had a tough nav day in the mist yesterday and lost some time. They opted to chase team Sani (currently in 4th) rather than sleep at T5 (Total time spent there was 1:17). Nicely caught up, but Sani spent almost 5 hours at T5 - probably much better rested than Jabberwock now. Merrel Mentored also got some shut-eye at T5 (almost 6 hours). Omjakon, Blizzard, Agde all had less sleep (all 3 spent about  3 1/2 hours at T5)

Then Bloed and Omo (G4K4) just missed CP 26. Probably deliberately - a pity, because they were doing so well and if they knew where everyone else on the course is, they probably would have gone to get it. They were right there :(

Further back, Steak &v Kidney is hiking in the wrong direction.

Bloed And omo designer gold also hiked in the wrong direction this morning. They recovered, but I see they are now a partial team

Keyhealth Nevarest had a mare on that last hike, 31 hours for them where the fastest teams took less that half of that, they are chasing down the leaders with a power cycle now but the issue is now that Carla has ITB issues which is not ideal with the 59km trek ahead and there are not too many paths on that trek.

The cycle seems to be uneventful for most of the teams, I think that they will no doubt be enjoying some respite before another monster trek. The leaders are going flat out up front, nearly half way through the trek already, Jabberwock and Sani Racing are really chasing hard at this stage still.

Looks like some people are lost

Team 22 and 49... way off course

Been watching them the last few days. 49 had a perfect line to Sneeukop and one of the fastest times from T4. It's Yolande Speedy and Alec Aviernos (Greg Aviernos the Warrior Champ's dad). Last night it looked like they were on their way to Sanddrif, maybe follow the road from there - but I see they turned around now.

22 hasn't moved much sice last night about 10. 

Both of these teams should have enough food and shelter with them for one night - but by this afternoon they will get hungry if they can't find their way on the map :(

Team 38 is short coursing so they are on the cycle just skipping CP28 so they are not lost. 49 and 22 are in big trouble bu thankfully they all have spot trackers if needed...

The Russians have won, looks like Sani are powering towards the finish now with Omjakon chasing hard, this is going to be close. SHame Jabberwock has had a tough race and always a solid performance from them hey...

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

When you are lost, you are lost...

38 probaby shortcoursed themselves, opting to miss CP 28. I see more teams following that route now. Team 4 Lickety Split also missed CP 26 yesterday although they walked right passed it.

Team 38 is short coursing so they are on the cycle just skipping CP28 so they are not lost. 49 and 22 are in big trouble bu thankfully they all have spot trackers if needed...

The Russians have won, looks like Sani are powering towards the finish now with Omjakon chasing hard, this is going to be close. SHame Jabberwock has had a tough race and always a solid performance from them hey...

Looks like Jabberwock is set for 4th - if there's no bike problems later. The French team looks like they're approaching the abseil but they haven't registerd at CP 32 (unless tracker wasn't tracking). Merrel and EnduranceLifeUK is quite a bit of time behind.