Mtb vs Road bike

abcdefg

Hi Guys,

Is it fair to say that a road bike can be cheaper that an equivalent Mtb? Say comparing a basic aluminium frame in each case with average components?

And then the million dollar question, whats more fun? Mtb or Road cycling?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmmm

Both codes have their joys and limitations.

Borrow a bike for each code and see which one you prefer before putting your money down.

Generally, MTBs are more pricey - more alu, more parts.

Edited by ' Dale

Many more cheaper entry level mtb's to choose from than road bikes.

When getting into the sport, a mtb is more versitale as it can be used both on and off road.

A road bike can well ... its a road bike.

When getting into the sport, a mtb is more versitale as it can be used both on and off road.

Don't say that, someone might just drag that certain video out again with Dogma doing tricks. Shhhh!

Did he just go there? Oh no he didnt......oh crap he did....

Yeah try both (if you can) and see which works for you. Mtb is more versatile, so it could be better to buy mtb first. You can do on road and off road. But for me.. Nothing beats sitting in a pace line riding in the drops at an insane speed! Glorious absolutely glorious.

Why is that? You don't get much below the 5K range

In this choice the mtb always wins. With a spare set of wheels or tyres a mtb can be a (slightly slower) road bike.

Like the tankman said - a road bike cannot be a mtb.

More fun? Road biking does have the strategic appeal but here's something to ponder. Road racing you park in a parking lot and race on roads you can normally drive on. Mtb to park on a farm/nature reserve and ride trails that aren't always open to the public.

Mtb 1 - Road 0.

In this choice the mtb always wins. With a spare set of wheels or tyres a mtb can be a (slightly slower) road bike.

Like the tankman said - a road bike cannot be a mtb.

More fun? Road biking does have the strategic appeal but here's something to ponder. Road racing you park in a parking lot and race on roads you can normally drive on. Mtb to park on a farm/nature reserve and ride trails that aren't always open to the public.

Mtb 1 - Road 0.

+1

Mtb 2 - Road 0. :ph34r:

You can probably do more structured training on a road bike ( on the road :whistling: ) and, in general , the maintenance is cheaper, but a MTB is a lot more fun and versatile. I sold my road bike a long time ago.

Don't say that, someone might just drag that certain video out again with Dogma doing tricks. Shhhh!

:lol: I was thinking about exactly that, Martyn Ashton and his tricks ... thats why I stopped myself from saying a Road bike can only be ridden on the road!

But no one else (the majority of us at least) cant ride a road bike like he can!

Why is that? You don't get much below the 5K range

Yes you do, Axis, Avalanche, Peerless and some other weird names, wont exactly call them MTB's ... they look like MTB's but its main function is more a bike of transport than a bike you want to put through its phases in the mountain or rough terrain. R2k, R3k (Axis A90 with coil fork), R4.5k (Axis A70 with hydraulic disk brakes)

Road bikes you are going to start looking at R7 to R8k with some very basic components.

Round about R8k for a Sora bike.

Maintenance is my only gripe when it comes to Mtb

Yup more than double the time in the workshop getting hangers straightened, brakes fixed, rims true'd (dunno how many e's there are supposed to be) etc etc

:blush:

And then the million dollar question, whats more fun?

Lets see

MTB ... Singletrack, jumps, berms, dropoffs, mud, rocks, river crossing, sand, bunny hops, jeeptrack, technical riding, quick thinking, decisions, the unknown, nature, no cars, exploring, mountain ranges, traction, fresh air, wheelies, breathtaking views.

Road ... tar, cars, exhaust fumes, wheel sucking, fast, strategy, team work

You decide!

Based on a smile factor, I cant stop myself from smiling waaaaaaaaaaaay more on the mtb than on the road bike.

Edited by Tankman