Mtb vs Road bike

abcdefg

Maintenance is my only gripe when it comes to Mtb

you know what they say - mountain biking is as addictive as cocaine, but much more expensive.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you know what they say - mountain biking is as addictive as cocaine, but much more expensive.

Heehee

I prefer road cycling. Tried mtbking, but did not enjoy it that much. If I want to get out into nature, I throw my leg over my four legged "ride" and take to the trails. Also, it is something my wife does with me :thumbup: :clap:

:lol: I was thinking about exactly that, Martyn Ashton and his tricks ... thats why I stopped myself from saying a Road bike can only be ridden on the road!

But no one else (the majority of us at least) cant ride a road bike like he can!

Yes you do, Axis, Avalanche, Peerless and some other weird names, wont exactly call them MTB's ... they look like MTB's but its main function is more a bike of transport than a bike you want to put through its phases in the mountain or rough terrain. R2k, R3k (Axis A90 with coil fork), R4.5k (Axis A70 with hydraulic disk brakes)

Road bikes you are going to start looking at R7 to R8k with some very basic components.

Round about R8k for a Sora bike.

I was referring to road bikes :thumbup: , nothing less then even 6K, which is surprising considering those cheap MTB's come with disc brakes, forks etc

mmm this is an interesting topic.

I got roped into doing a tour this weekend that the local bike shop is organizing. So I said okay i would ride it if I could get my hands on a road bike, any how our one buddy has a snazzy Carbon road bike collecting dust and him and I are the same height, so basically besides a few adjustments, a perfect fit for me.

So yesterday I figured well I best go ride the skinny wheel to get used to the position on the bike and so on and so on. I did a 70km ride, and now maybe it's because we live out here in the platteland and maybe it's because I was out on the road all by my lonesome self.. but shees it was boring. Besides for one truck that nearly clipped me (2km from home.. needless to say said skinny wheel did a couple of km's on the dirt next to the road after that- next time I will rather do the extra 5km and avoid the freaking N12 than take a chance for 2km) I had no issues with cars, they all seemed to be aware of me on the bike .. so big up to the guys in our dorp..

We don't have twisty roads, i basically rode around a big square. now even on the dirt around here, if we do a square loop it's at least interesting, the surface changes with the rain, there are rocks and obstacles and all the rest, but I can't see myself spending hours training on a road bike for the occasional outing with the roadies.

Maybe I will enjoy this tour thingy the weekend, I am seeing it as a chance to get some hours on the saddle.

One can't compare the two, really.

It's like comparing court volleyball with beach volleyball.

As a starter, a MTB is the more versatile buy.

I think though if I had to live in Gauting with all the busy roads and crazy drivers, I would rather do the mtb bike thing from a safety point

mmm this is an interesting topic.

I got roped into doing a tour this weekend that the local bike shop is organizing. So I said okay i would ride it if I could get my hands on a road bike, any how our one buddy has a snazzy Carbon road bike collecting dust and him and I are the same height, so basically besides a few adjustments, a perfect fit for me.

So yesterday I figured well I best go ride the skinny wheel to get used to the position on the bike and so on and so on. I did a 70km ride, and now maybe it's because we live out here in the platteland and maybe it's because I was out on the road all by my lonesome self.. but shees it was boring. Besides for one truck that nearly clipped me (2km from home.. needless to say said skinny wheel did a couple of km's on the dirt next to the road after that- next time I will rather do the extra 5km and avoid the freaking N12 than take a chance for 2km) I had no issues with cars, they all seemed to be aware of me on the bike .. so big up to the guys in our dorp..

We don't have twisty roads, i basically rode around a big square. now even on the dirt around here, if we do a square loop it's at least interesting, the surface changes with the rain, there are rocks and obstacles and all the rest, but I can't see myself spending hours training on a road bike for the occasional outing with the roadies.

Maybe I will enjoy this tour thingy the weekend, I am seeing it as a chance to get some hours on the saddle.

If it's boring you not going fast enough :whistling:

Rocky Road! You get both and marshmallow, bits'n'pieces and random cool stuff.

aaaaaargh, you divided by zero dweep

.. but shees it was boring.

Oddly enough that's one of the things I really like about road riding. Once you clear the city limits your legs go into autopilot mode and the km melt away.

It's what I like to call "dynamic meditation". You're actually doing something physical but the mind tends to wander off into a lovely problem solving, alternate view place where you get the time to think about things properly without the dsitractions of real life. I'm not a very zenlike shwaaaaaah dude but dynamic meditation really appeal to me.

Im all for road! Out in the cradle is amazing!!! And race mx so I should like MTB but road makes lank strong!