[Event] MTN NATIONAL MTB SERIES #2 Sabie

Tim_Fair

Great event! Always look forward to it and have never been disappointed. Great trails, tough climbs and excellent water stations.

Wanted to do the 75km and 45km, but after the muddy 75km my bike was sick and now needs some attention before it can go on the trails again.

Photos at http://www.jetlineactionphoto.com/ They might as well just drop all the photos in the Unidentified category because I couldn't see any numbers on my board when I finished.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

awesome event ! pity that my whole bike will need an overall !

ultimately , i wanted to sit this one out but how can you start a season without doing Sabie…….and at this event no KM are free …..really points out all your weaknesses and strenghts

Edited by spy

Special mention to the crusher that finished 5th in the marathon on his singlespeed.

Much Respect

probably had the best bike out there. No dreaded chain suck

Counted from my Garmin file over 30 stops to try and clean and lube my chain!

Edited by Ramrod

probably had the best bike out there. No dreaded chain suck

Counted from my Garmin file over 30 stops to try and clean and lube my chain!

I agree, i prob also stopped as much as that. Never ever again will i ride in that mud again.

Special mention to the crusher that finished 5th in the marathon on his singlespeed.

Much Respect

But he started with the ultra boys ?

Hey EZRider, after a long layoff started in B on the 45km and did okay - first race on the 29er.

How was your ride, might have seen you come in, we were standing by the photographer just after the final bridge that takes you into the start/finish area and saw quite a few Flash`s come in - only problem you were all so muddy not even your mother would recognise you.

New 29er? Dale?

It was the muddiest ride I've ever done and that's saying a lot after Dullstroom.

Spent more time on the second half of the course and that was the downhill bit!

Glad you enjoyed your ride.

See you at our Magoebaskloof challenge in May?

New 29er? Dale?

It was the muddiest ride I've ever done and that's saying a lot after Dullstroom.

Spent more time on the second half of the course and that was the downhill bit!

Glad you enjoyed your ride.

See you at our Magoebaskloof challenge in May?

Yeah, I have had it a quite a while no, replacing my 26er Dale, just did not have chance to race it yet.

Are you expecting mud in Magoebaskloof in May :)

Yeah, I have had it a quite a while no, replacing my 26er Dale, just did not have chance to race it yet.

Are you expecting mud in Magoebaskloof in May :)

May is going to be lekker.......first Magoebaskloof......then Sondela......anticipation high! There is always a bit of mud at Magoebas.....it is however that slippery thick pine needle bed covering the ground that you need to watch out for (....and maybe Mount Merrick).

Edited by BarHugger

Thanks Fritz, Wessel, Tim, and the Sabie co.

Lekker weekend away with the family.

Marathon was really tough, first full 75km Classic there for me. I can imagine the route to be quite spectacular, some gaps in the cloud really gave the most amazing glimpses into the landscape.

Mud seemed worse than last years Lowveld Quest.

Bullsh.. um, Bushpig Run was hectic, wheels stopped turning as the mud caked on and my bike went from 13kg to 30kg, and I got 10cm taller.

Had some hectic heart stopping saves as my Rocket Rons skated perpendicular to some of the "sand" (read clay) roads.

Water points - great, 2000% better than Dullstroom - enough to drink and eat, and still get a quick drivetrain squirt. Thank you.

Pity the forest single track was so wet, caution got the better of me and it was slow going at times.

The Mamba - niiiice. always difficult having to pedal backwards to go forwards.

2x10 chainsuck has really spoilt my last two marathons, and even last years Sani Race day2 was diabolical.

I realise the 3x9 is much better and 1x10 with a 42 bailout sprocket is definitely the way forward. 2x10 chainrings are just too close for mud riding, and no lube could deal with Saturdays slush, not even Smoove.

Will be back, rain or shine, Sabie is a great event.

Put back Barberton into the Series mix and the world will be a better place :)