• Yellow, Green, Blue, Black
    • Yellow, Blue, Green, Black
    • Yellow, Blue, Green, Black
    • Blue, Yellow, Green, Black
    • Blue, Green, Yellow, Black
    • Green, Blue, Yellow, Black
    • Green, Yellow, Blue, Black

Hi guys

just wondering, since I've seen some serious different colouring schemes.

Whats would you choose as the rating for easy to difficult.

I'll leave Black as meaning, You're most likely doing MTB hiking ;)

G

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How are ski slopes graded?

I see green - blue - red - black in Europe

So maybe grade similar - green - blue - yellow - black for cycling

Edited by porqui

I don't know, last time I was on one it basically went white/blue/white/blue...

My thinking is I'd think CSA hold set a standard,

so that it does not matter which venue you at, the colour's are always starting and increasing the same as it gets longer/more technical.

G

How are ski slopes graded?

Edited by awesme

Green = flowy non technical single track and jeep track. Small drops no jumps.

Blue = flowy single track with technical features such as drops and jumps (table - topped) rock gardens and so on.

Black = highly technical trail with large drops and gap jumps. Large degree of difficulty.

Double black = trail as above but including large road gaps as well.

In jhb, double black means a gentle corner scattered with loose shale. So the grading in one section would not necessarily be indicative of trail in another area.

International grading is another thing entirely. Take france, for instance. Far higher technicality of trail, but then we are not France and our average rider shies away from a 5 cm drop. Which wouldn't even feature on any green trail ito a trail feature.

Oh. Distance does not feature ito trail grading. A 50km blue trail does not become double black due to the distance and hoe much exertion you put out. That's a separate grading which can be expressed in its own right by way of the kilometer reading.

Cpt, have you voted,

agree with your order. my assumption also, and experience from place like Rietvlei and Thaba.

G

Green = flowy non technical single track and jeep track. Small drops no jumps.

Blue = flowy single track with technical features such as drops and jumps (table - topped) rock gardens and so on.

Black = highly technical trail with large drops and gap jumps. Large degree of difficulty.

Double black = trail as above but including large road gaps as well.

In jhb, double black means a gentle corner scattered with loose shale. So the grading in one section would not necessarily be indicative of trail in another area.

International grading is another thing entirely. Take france, for instance. Far higher technicality of trail, but then we are not France and our average rider shies away from a 5 cm drop. Which wouldn't even feature on any green trail ito a trail feature.

huh, i'm lost.

G

I just shake my head and I think that even when "I'm big" I won't be at the level of those outside of "jhb" :whistling: must be so cool

huh, i'm lost.

G

The short version is, we dont have a mountain, so no matter what we have, do or try, will ever be on the level of CT or anywhere outside of Gauteng

Cpt, have you voted,

agree with your order. my assumption also, and experience from place like Rietvlei and Thaba.

G

Just voted now. Never come across a yellow trail before, hence the assumption that it refers to jeep track

I just shake my head and I think that even when "I'm big" I won't be at the level of those outside of "jhb" :whistling: must be so cool

Lol. It's not that dude. There are plenty of places that a blue / black grading would be warranted. But some people just don't know that a loose corner is NOT a technical feature described by 3 downward black arrows, normally reserved for drops over a metre high...

The short version is, we dont have a mountain, so no matter what we have, do or try, will ever be on the level of CT or anywhere outside of Gauteng

Lol. Tokai DH trails are only just black...

Lol. Tokai DH trails are only just black...

Really? I think they are not quite Black.... Im not trying to swing my willy here claiming anything but there is not 1 single place in Tokai I cannot ride (up or down) on a fully rigid bike comfortably.

I rode some trails in Europe with a 'Black' rating that made me leave many footprints.... I think grading is silly. People should just ride. If they feel uncomfortable, walk. Look at what youre walking over, check out a line or 2 and next time try to ride it.

Skills and confidence only grow if you try things you've never done before. The 'black' trails will be fiercely protected by the 'hardcore' thus making it intollerable for noobs. Cries of 'go back to the pump track' and 'wtf are these retards doing on our black trails' will be heard throughout...... Alternative 'easier' lines should be added to allow riders to choose how they break their collarbones lets everyone enjoy everything, not limiting options or making things seem hostile or unattainable.

I dont know.... Im wrong probably and expect abuse but I have never looked at a trail rating and agreed with it. Not in SA, not in NZ, not in Europe.... Trails should be trails. The end

Really? I think they are not quite Black.... Im not trying to swing my willy here claiming anything but there is not 1 single place in Tokai I cannot ride (up or down) on a fully rigid bike comfortably.

I rode some trails in Europe with a 'Black' rating that made me leave many footprints.... I think grading is silly. People should just ride. If they feel uncomfortable, walk. Look at what youre walking over, check out a line or 2 and next time try to ride it.

Skills and confidence only grow if you try things you've never done before. The 'black' trails will be fiercely protected by the 'hardcore' thus making it intollerable for noobs. Cries of 'go back to the pump track' and 'wtf are these retards doing on our black trails' will be heard throughout...... Alternative 'easier' lines should be added to allow riders to choose how they break their collarbones lets everyone enjoy everything, not limiting options or making things seem hostile or unattainable.

I dont know.... Im wrong probably and expect abuse but I have never looked at a trail rating and agreed with it. Not in SA, not in NZ, not in Europe.... Trails should be trails. The end

DH0 is black cos of the road gap. Otherwise pretty much everything could be classed as blue.