Modderfontein reserve trails

Trails are good , most of the mud has dried up, just the first bridge crossing was flooded. Otherwise the trails are in good shape.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick trail update after yesterdays ride at Modders - the trails are in good condition overall with just a couple of sections on the red a bit overgrown in places and some sections that are badly rutted thanks to the mud of a few weeks ago drying out.

Concur with Tractor. The trails are looking good, but rutted and overgrown in places. Signage improved 100% and a few mods to crossings - no more between the two trees squeeze drop-off...

The dreaded mud still lurking at the entry to the river section and long the reeds. The fast section between the reeds has grown closed.

Still a great ride.

• 3 months later...

Also went on Saturday. Had a great time. Alot of work has gone into bridges over areas that can get muddy. only small gripe is that most of the downhill sharp bends are badly rutted from people dragging their back brakes.

Also went on Saturday. Had a great time. Alot of work has gone into bridges over areas that can get muddy. only small gripe is that most of the downhill sharp bends are badly rutted from people dragging their back brakes.

Agreed on all points. That last little section between the reeded exit box "exit" from the park and the bridge used to be a sweet little ending - now its rutted hell.

It is in awesome condition though I Sundays was fantastic!

I also went Saturday for the first time in months. The entrance is great now with blocks covering that first drop-off; and the chicken run signed for those that want, makes it much more accessible/friendly. The jeep tracks are graded and a lot of grass cut back, I was impressed. I also liked the exit route now they have singletrack running parallel to the tar and its a much better experience to bump down that than whoosh straight down. I can recommend the park to friends again.

- now its rutted hell.

Phew thought it was just me ...It's a jaw rattling ride down

Went and rode at modderfontein this morning for the first time during the day. I have done 3 Kia night races there but thats all in the dark.

I think i have found a new weekend ride for the next couple of weeks. Really enjoyed it.

Phew thought it was just me ...It's a jaw rattling ride down

Otherwise known as "fun" - well, with dual suspension anyway.

Otherwise known as "fun" - well, with dual suspension anyway.

Nothing a good quality sports bra can't resolve I tell ya.

Absolutely love modderfontein..clean and well maintained..bathrooms are fantastic and always clean..great experience. Only problem I do have is I think they should lift the rails over the chicken run bridge. Any cyclist going over the bridge and making a mistake could face a long drop down to the river below..

Any cyclist going over the bridge and making a mistake could face a long drop down to the river below..

That thought has never occurred to me, and now i'm gonna erase it from my mind. Fortunately i think i'm short enough to not be in risk of going over the top - in the beginning left a lot of skin on that bridge - now it's just another piece of trail :-D

must get in as much riding there before the rainy season starts and it's mudfest again.

I was there last weekend and I thought it was great. The drop-off at the beginning of the ride has been bricked up!

I was there last weekend and I thought it was great. The drop-off at the beginning of the ride has been bricked up!

Yes, also noticed the "Evil drop-off" at the beginning is now bricked. Must say I'm happy about that, but let's see what the rain does to it...nothing like slippery bricks on a steep decline :eek:

The reed section still full of mud. Don't think it will ever be the fast kamikaze run it used to be.

Great ride! Must get in a ride this weekend!

Archived