Modderfontein reserve trails

No, last one was last week. Will start again in spring. Yes.

Bugger. Would've liked to give the night rides a go. Any other places in the jhb area offering night rides?

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bugger. Would've liked to give the night rides a go. Any other places in the jhb area offering night rides?

I might be wrong but I think night rides are on but the over the moon night races will take a 2 month break...

Rode there tonight. It was rather fresh and the city lights were crystal clear. Who needs a race in order to ride at night? Give it a go with a few mates.

Get in touch with Robodog here on the hub. He is from The Trailhead, an awesome bike shop on the Spruit, they have a monthly night ride.

And if Irene(Centurion) isnt too far for you, there is a night ride every thirsday night from Irene mall. Dark & Dirty rides. Lots of fun

Are the Wednesday night rides still happening at Modders? Safe?

Over the Moon night race series is on hold till spring, but every Wednesday the reserve stays open until 21:00 or 22:00, I'm not exactly sure. If you hit the trails at 18:00, it's already dark, and still enough time for a very good workout :)

I've never even seen a "stray" person walking around, so I would rate it as one of the safer places to ride, day or night!

Rode last night and there must've been 30-40 people, judging by the number of cars. Night sky was crystal clear and the trails were awesome after some very light afternoon sprinkles  :clap:

I generally ride there on a Wednesday night and mostly alone! Very safe although I wouldn't do the red route at night, not because there is a chance you will get jacked, but because it tends to be more technical and even more so at night, maybe thats just me!

I noticed a poster at the entrance pay point that the deserve is no longer open on Mondays. Just for info.....

• 1 month later...

We rode Modders the weekend. Still a great place to train!

With the new "technical" urban fun section next to the river, there is a bit of added zip to the ride.

The complete red/black section now takes us around 2h44 to complete at 48km. Not a bad Saturday winters ride out...

Rode last Friday afternoon and noticed quite a bit of building in the reserve. Anybody know what's happening? 

Also part of the trail on the Yellow/Red has been damaged due to a new gravel road running right through it.

Rode last Friday afternoon and noticed quite a bit of building in the reserve. Anybody know what's happening? 

Also part of the trail on the Yellow/Red has been damaged due to a new gravel road running right through it.

Yes, did notice that. Looks like they trying to make the park more accessible for vehicles. Hope they not planning to build!

Yes, did notice that. Looks like they trying to make the park more accessible for vehicles. Hope they not planning to build!

Looks like the Chinese are moving in!

Looks like the Chinese are moving in!

As i understand it, Modders has about 5 years left under the Chinese deal.  

Can anyone confirm?

• 6 months later...

does anyone have the RED route in GPX format please

the old one (approx 42km) or the newer add-on (approx 50km) ?

• 1 month later...

Archived