cutting a carbon flat bar

W@nna-BE

hey hubbers

i am keen to buy a used carbon flat bar from a fellow hubber, but its not the right size

can i cut it to size as the LBS did with my original steel bars?

yes... Measure it up and use a carbon bladed (normal will work) hack-saw and a cutting guide. Sand the edges to remove burrrrrs and Robert is your Fathers' brother...

Edited by singlespeedGuy

Get a pipe cutter that plumbers use. Mask up area as mentioned. Gives a much cleaner cut.

Retracting this as its a bad idea I've been told.

Edited by Cippo

Don't use a pipe cutter, use a carbon saw blade.

Welcome back stranger... :)

Personally I am a believer in using thin abrasive cut off disks.... but that assumes you are into power tool usage - does give a nice smooth finish on the end.

I don't for a second believe that using a plumbers pipe cutter designed for copper pipe will work well - definitely going to crush the inner layers of the carbon - not good.

Welcome back stranger... :)

Personally I am a believer in using thin abrasive cut off disks.... but that assumes you are into power tool usage - does give a nice smooth finish on the end.

I don't for a second believe that using a plumbers pipe cutter designed for copper pipe will work well - definitely going to crush the inner layers of the carbon - not good.

shot for the wb...

lol@power tools...., actually you need parktool's, you need this blade:

http://www.parktool.com/product/carbon-saw-blade-csb-1

What width is it currently?

If you're used to 600 (crazy narrow), definitely don't cut it. Give it a few weeks getting used to a wider bar, then come back and thank us for nudging you in the right direction.

Seriously, don't cut it.

I'm with the first try it uncut guys, I always rode with 580 wide bars but tried a wider bar on my 29r and loved it! Have now changed all my bikes to wider bars, give it a try.

shot for the wb...

lol@power tools....,

Air power actually.. :) although a dremel is also a good tool for small work.

I am also of the opinion the op should leave the width on the bars and see after a week or 2 how it goes - despite having grown up on 580/600mm bars, I have stretched them to 680 - and that works for me - wider gives me some shoulder and elbow pains.