Replace Avid brakes with XT - guidance needed

grego12

Thanks guys for the comments...I'm sold on the XT brakes....there is just no plausible excuse for Avids......if you ride up too steep a hill they need to be bled!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a look at the world champs and World Cup winners and what group set they ride.

Olympic winner, SRAM and avid for excample.

Just saying

Have a look at the world champs and World Cup winners and what group set they ride.

Just saying

I think Avid are good if you have a 24/7 mechanic

Edited by grego12

Can't beat XT & IceTech for price, power, simplicity, ease of setup, bleeding and reliability. IceTech rotors are the best, they run straight, won't warp and give you crap with rubbing and alignment. Best overall package.

Only R1's can be considered and "alternative", not even an "upgrade". Just something different in the same class.

XTR has absolutely no advantage over vanilla XT. Because you can spend the change on another component upgrade...

Just saying

Irrelevant. Sponsorships dictate components to a great extent and they have 24/7 mechanics to keep everything running smooth.

Irrelevant. Sponsorships dictate components to a great extent and they have 24/7 mechanics to keep everything running smooth.

But people say they overheat? And look at the epic winners the last 2 years. Riding avid and they don't overheat on those long descents?

I have had avids for 3years now and have never had to bleed them, only replace brake pads.

But people say they overheat? And look at the epic winners the last 2 years. Riding avid and they don't overheat on those long descents?

I have had avids for 3years now and have never had to bleed them, only replace brake pads.

I can't comment on the functionality of the brakes or how they do or don't overheat. Never used them.

I'm a Hope man :P

I think the epic winners don't use their brakes much hence the win..... ;p

I have/had the following:

- Shimano deore .....on my 1st xc bike. Rode about 5000+km on that bike (not the type of things I ride now but not just flat roads either) never had issues

- Hopes.....my AM (and few DH rides). Done 2500+ km on it. Quite a few times the brakes were either on/off and sometimes (in the beginning more) I got nice modulation. Now it is just bugging me. I'll have to change something on it to make it better.

- Avid3..... on my DH bike. Haven't done much riding with it, neither a PROPER downhill ride. Yes I can feel it is not the "stopping power" of the hopes, but maybe good for me at this stage cause I tend to pull brakes when I don't really need them. I prefer the gradual feel anyhow.

- Shimano SLX....putting some on a bike now so will feel that in January. Can't wait.

Rather ask any workshop which brakes give the most problems and stop worring what the pro's win with because the are on new brakesets faster than you can change gears.

Avid Juicy ... sucks ass big time

Avid Elixer ... screams and shouts all day long without stopping a thing.

Avid, avid stay away from avid.

Rather ask any workshop which brakes give the most problems and stop worring what the pro's win with because the are on new brakesets faster than you can change gears.

http://captionsearch.com/pix/7vzal287ni.jpg

Grego12 - Once you have removed the Avids and replaced them can I come round and collect them so I can recycle them please.

I mean you would not sell such dangerous items on to someone else to use.(would you?)

( I actually do want them :) )

Hi! my name is Peter and I have Avid brakes.

That gave you endless problems even taking my brand new bleed kit to try and save them FOR WITCH YOU HAVE NOT PAYED ME YET BTW

Edited by no calves

That gave you endless problems even taking my brand new bleed kit to try and save them FOR WITCH YOU HAVE NOT PAYED ME YET BTW

Like a boss....pwned

Hmmmm 3years and no bleeding and no problems? Me thinks it is the rider not the brakes.

Hmmmm 3years and no bleeding and no problems? Me thinks it is the rider not the brakes.

Yea, all these oaks ride like dumbasses! :thumbup:

Seems like a regular occurrence for Avid riders.

A quick tally of the brakes we need to send in for repairs today.

We have done all we possibly could.

AVID 4

Shimano 0

post-4352-0-33987800-1388129239_thumb.jpg