Best 29er Wheelset For R6000

bikebum2.0

Love my ZTR Arch EX. Never had to straighten them in over a year and Im about 109kg. Previous rims were like tin in comparison. Syncros.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just picked up a set of ZTR Arch EX's (I weigh 95kg, so the Crests were not an option) hooked up to hope hubs, tailor made by CWC to order (color scheme of hubs, spokes and nipples as requested).

Cost me R5,500 + around R500 to have shipped to JHB.

These wheels are great, so are CWC.

Edited by Jigghead

My experience with ArchEX is tgat not all tubeless tyres fit easily on them, then I could not get the tyre bead to seat perfectly either...... they would seat, but tge tyre always had a bit of a wobble, luke the wheel was out of true. This was With 3 different brands of tyre. The WTB frequency range is exactly the opposite. Tyres seat perfectly. The rims are stronger, and costs about 40% cheaper. ...... and there's about a 3g difference in weight.

I noticed that with the Kenda Slant six, especially after putting in new sealant. Issue was that you actually need to clean out the inside lip of any old sealant, preventing a clean fit.

Racing Ralphs have no issue.

American Classic..awesome wheels..

+1

American Classic Race, just not sure how much they are now.

Nobody mentioned Tune King&Kong hubs. I have seen a few on xc bikes - are they any good? I dont think they take a thru axle, though.

Also, any comments on Chris King hubs? Expensive, but they look nice. Im considering some for my next build, but are they worth the money?

Nobody mentioned Tune King&Kong hubs. I have seen a few on xc bikes - are they any good? I dont think they take a thru axle, though.

Also, any comments on Chris King hubs? Expensive, but they look nice. Im considering some for my next build, but are they worth the money?

Tune hubs are super light, but also super expensive. Similar price range to Chris Kings. Haven't used a pair myself, but I read a few forum posts questioning their durability. They are super sexy though. I'd be very surprised if the don't have adaptors for TA. My dream hubs if money was no object :thumbup: .

Tune King = R1700, Kong = R3500, abouk 3k less than a set of Chris Kings.

Edited by Christie

Hi. The American Classic wheel set would be my recommendation. I have a set of these in 26" and they are awesome.

http://www.buycycle....an-classic.html

Ciao.

These are great if you have a degree in panelbeating or are a trainee in a panelbeating shop...

Great if you are the weight of a flea but if you have skipped a few toilet stops in the past few weeks for a k@k, avoid!

Tune King = R1700, Kong = R3500, abouk 3k less than a set of Chris Kings.

My bad. Still double the price of Hopes. So still pretty expensive.

These are great if you have a degree in panelbeating or are a trainee in a panelbeating shop...

Great if you are the weight of a flea but if you have skipped a few toilet stops in the past few weeks for a k@k, avoid!

I'm not biting - let's just say 6000km & many races later I'm still a happy customer. Front & rear wheels each needed truing once. I won't comment on pretzels I've seen.

I'm not biting - let's just say 6000km & many races later I'm still a happy customer. Front & rear wheels each needed truing once. I won't comment on pretzels I've seen.

You must have a few dumps on route then...

Cough cough, where is your wheels at the moment oom?

I am not the weight of a flea and I have not needed to do anything with or to my AM's after about 2000 km of riding so my experience is exactly the opposite of chukky's.

Well, I have had one of the first set of American Classic 29'er race wheels on my SS rigid.

Not a moments worth of trouble .

Perhaps I need to do more miles of ride harder.

what riding do you do?

If you ride hard then i recommend ZTR

If you are gentle on your bike :whistling: American classic

both are great!