Woolworths overnight Hyper food inflation!

Icycling

Woolworth watermelon today cost R29.99 and tomorrow the same size will cost R59.99. Thats a 100% increase - pity they perishables, but has SA now reached what Zimbabwe had a few year ago Hyper food inflation?

The fact they leave this on the shelf for the customers too see - thats not very discreet - are they proud to be ripping their consumers off?

1509776_10152109159730310_171986845_n.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No misprint.

Pricing is changed via an admin office which alters the pricing ,sending it down to the scales at store level.

I don't think it's a big conspiracy. If you have a look at the sell by dates, the cheaper one is actually newer stock. I encountered same thing at incredible corruption, 2 iPad mini covers, the white &red ones were R40 cheaper, when I asked why I was told older stock, and the CPA does not allow them to mark up old stock.

Had a gripe at the spar today. Floor cleaner with 33% free but that one is R2 more than standard sized ones so in fact you're paying R2 for the extra 250ml. Retail practices - sometimes it's better not to ask.

Retail practices - sometimes it's better not to ask.

no wonder they make money hand over fist while cutting corners. Government also sends its regard... :whistling:

no wonder they make money hand over fist while cutting corners. Government also sends its regard... :whistling:

Ouch

Yeah you should have seen pick n pay the day before Christmas eve... Everything was up by at least 3 Rand, which adds up when you're saving for a dream bike.. And some items were way up...

Oh and don't forget that convenient etoll system that can always take the blame...

I do think some retailers go a bit bonkers.

I had two situations today, Sportsmans Whorehouse is having a big clearance, saw a nice pair of NewBlance Minimus at a steal, the lady told me if I buy them today I will pay full price, yet on the 4th. I will pay half price.

I can sort of stomach that.

Then paid R 80 for a roast chicken at a Woolies and my wife tells me they are R 60 at the other two Woolies in town.

The final straw today was when I bought two rubber seals for a mixer (o-rings) get to the pay point and R 20 :eek:

They are 5 bucks for two everywhere else.

I get home and the id. is cool but they they are too thick, I got supplied the bigger of the two 'standards'

I return and that's when all hell broke loose after the sales guy grabbed them out of my hand spoke to me like rubbish and told me to get a refund.

It was at Mica, needless to say, no Mica will eve see me again.

The other day I grab the last bunch of Lilliies at woollies, get to the till there's no bar code. The supervisor goes to the back to get price. I start getting annoyed cause now I'm running late. Eventually she comes back and shrugs her shoulders, says no one knows. I almost lost it, put them back, grab roses and pay for those, in my head formulating my very rude complaint email to head office. At the door the woman gives them to me, tells me I can have them for free.

Reasons why I say - rather not ask.

One always hears about Christmas-inflated pricing, but I've never seen it myself.

The WW rotisserie chickens are already expensive, but R80?! Pull the other one WW.

when I asked why I was told older stock, and the CPA does not allow them to mark up old stock.

I could be mistaken but I think the sales person was confused as I haven't seen such a provision in the CPA.

Not only Woolies its all Major Supermarkets, just came from my monthly shopping & its normally 2500 - 3000 (for 2 adults & 2 dogs) tonight bill was 4000

Not only Woolies its all Major Supermarkets, just came from my monthly shopping & its normally 2500 - 3000 (for 2 adults & 2 dogs) tonight bill was 4000

Felt the same sting today. For two adults and a cat. Mal.