Transbaviaans 2014

Garfield2010

Team Bottelary Hill Buddies satisfied with their results. Great team efforts amongst us, saw some teams arguing. One mechanical and a rehydrated partner which was nursed by the other team members this is called partnesrship and nothing better than rehidrat to fix a man.

T167

Men

Bottelary Hill Buddies [bhd]

Edgar-John Kleinveld - Andy Lucas - Brent Falkenberg - Juan Viljoen

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see that we are not even on the official results :eek: even though we finished in 14h26m.

Bit of a let down not to see your name on the finishers log....

Will have to take it up with Eco-Bound

My 1x10 didnt behave and probably lost my chain about 4/5 times. quite irritating at times. Stopped and chased back. It was hard. 1x10(34) on fangs was tough. felt like pushing my bike.

Well done to everyone who finished, it was an hard one but what an experience!!!

To all the 1x1 riders, I think we were 3, also very well done and to the guy at the start who told me "you are f$&@% crazy to ride the TB with SS®", we've finished 1am, unfortunately this was our first one and our check point organization skills was a bit poor and ended up costing us 3 hours.....ooooppppppsssss. Awesome awesome journey!!!!

Great event! Enjoyed my second one this year. Far more organised at the stops and way better prepared in terms of kit.

Glad we saved some gas for the single track at the end, im sure all sense of humor had left most riders at that point.

Well done to all that finished that head wind had a huge impact on times this year.

Yip, I think most people had a sense of humour failure at the railwayline.

I know I was a bit gatvol at that point!

Our one team rider, Penny, is still something of a beginner on a MTB and only just building her confidence on single track - and this was also her first night riding (my bad planning for not getting us out to practice at night). So you can imagine how she felt at that stage. Luckily she's very fit and mentally very strong too - was proud as anything how she stuck her head down and kept going through that section knowing how nervous she was. Stuff that Baviaans tales are made of ...

Edited by walkerr

Out of my 4 Baviaanse, this was the one that tested me the most. Hit the wall just after checkpoint 1 :eek: Nearly died trying to get to checkpoint 2. Had no idea what was wrong as I was not that unfit for something like this to happen. My team mates cruised to checkpoint 2 and I had to do a 60km ride of hell!!

I made it to checkpoint 2 and started to eat and drink everything I could find. Next stop Checkpoint 3. Luckily the fuel in my legs was back and I could chat and smile again! But the damage was done, my ITB injury from a 2 years back started creeping in slowly but surely.

I suffered up Baviaans Back, Fangs and MAC with every pedal turn feeling like someone was driving a knife trough the side of my right knee. Strong pain pills and muscle relaxers made it bearable to go forward and focusing on finishing. On the downhill after Bergplaas I picked up a sidewall cut and nearly lost is on a dangerous turn.

Managed to plug the cut but it kept on loosing pressure and had inflate it at all the checkpoint. But with all the bad luck and great team mates, we made it in 13:46 and was happy to finish!

Humour definitely left me at CP7, had a small slip on the railway track but nothing serious.

Almost went over the side going down MAC, that happens if you look at the line of your partner infront of you and not focusing on your own.

Out of my 4 Baviaanse, this was the one that tested me the most. Hit the wall just after checkpoint 1 :eek: Nearly died trying to get to checkpoint 2. Had no idea what was wrong as I was not that unfit for something like this to happen. My team mates cruised to checkpoint 2 and I had to do a 60km ride of hell!!

I made it to checkpoint 2 and started to eat and drink everything I could find. Next stop Checkpoint 3. Luckily the fuel in my legs was back and I could chat and smile again! But the damage was done, my ITB injury from a 2 years back started creeping in slowly but surely.

I suffered up Baviaans Back, Fangs and MAC with every pedal turn feeling like someone was driving a knife trough the side of my right knee. Strong pain pills and muscle relaxers made it bearable to go forward and focusing on finishing. On the downhill after Bergplaas I picked up a sidewall cut and nearly lost is on a dangerous turn.

Managed to plug the cut but it kept on loosing pressure and had inflate it at all the checkpoint. But with all the bad luck and great team mates, we made it in 13:46 and was happy to finish!

Well Done Wil Jy is n yster!

O and well done for everyone on finishing :clap: To that guy and girl finishing just before 10am, hats of to you guys!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

And I want to retract my statement that the Baviaans is made for a Hardtail. :stupid: Ekt die jaar letterlik my gat gesien

O and well done for everyone on finishing :clap: To that guy and girl finishing just before 10am, hats of to you guys!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

And I want to retract my statement that the Baviaans is made for a Hardtail. :stupid: Ekt die jaar letterlik my gat gesien

It was really rough on the body. At some stage I couldn't move my hands properly. I think it has been about 5 years since the road was last scraped or properly maintained. If memory serves they worked on it just before the 2010 event.

My thumbs, my big toes are still feeling like it was treated by the dentist. The thumbs are getting a little better now but the other attachments..... Very little feeling

...we've finished 1am, unfortunately this was our first one and our check point organization skills was a bit poor and ended up costing us 3 hours.....ooooppppppsssss. Awesome awesome journey!!!!

Poor check point organisation skills result in you taking 5 minutes longer than planned. Taking 3 hours is called enjoying the break, sampling the tasty treats on offer, resting the legs, and talking k@k with your mates. Right now, I think I'd like to try your definition of poor check point organisation skills next year!

I see that we are not even on the official results :eek: even though we finished in 14h26m.

Bit of a let down not to see your name on the finishers log....

Will have to take it up with Eco-Bound

We must have ridden past each other a few times.

Kept enjoying the check points a little too much and then had to pass everyone again .

We finished in 14.24 - had the safari braai shorts on.

First time doing the race, awesome one, great organization, a physical and mental endurance test. I still have parts of my body that I can not feel but I have an smile in my face.