Lebanon MTB trails - huge disappointment!

CleatsnCleavage

Booked our New Year holiday in Elgin to enjoy the trails and tried to ride Lebanon the first day. After getting seriously lost numerous times we eventually asked a local farmer to explain to us how to get back to Oak Lane via road.

Once back I called the number listed on the signs to express frustration, politely, only to be told by a woman that "all the signs are in place" and while I was still busy talking she put the phone down on me. I guess I was hoping she might say she knows someone who could have taken us out on the trails in the next few days - but wow, such a rude response.

There are seriously not enough signs here and Lebanon needs to spend less time on their website raving about their trails and more time out on the route marking them!

Anyone else been there and managed to ride? Apparently the singletrack is awesome.

Luckily we enjoyed our rides at Oak Valley instead.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had I known you were in the area I would have taken you around there. The single track is very good there.

i found the signage a bit lacking but not so bad that i got lost no.. there are worse places signage wise! lebanon is ok, lot of boring climbing at the start but it gets better. good you enjoyed oak valley, i really didnt :)

you should try hemel en aarde in hermanus. theyv done a lot of work on it since it was so damaged by the rain so worth a visit.

Had a similar experience at Lebanon a few years ago. Apparently we went on a day when they were felling so none of the singletrack was open. Riding up and down dirt roads in 35 degree heat is not my cup of tea.

Thats unfortunate! I know one of the farmers there and when we stayed with him he gave us a great tour - really is some sublime singletrack. Next time I hope you have a guide with you :) Also a pity to hear about their response when you phoned them.

Yep - Hemel en Aarde is fantastic I ride there with one of the locals. Thanks for the offer next time I go I will ask around here who is in the area. There were 3 of us riding, myself and 2 guys so not sure why between all 3 of us we still failed to spot them. Maybe I am too spoilt by excellently marked trails with Tygerberg MTB club.

Cleavage and getting lost is pushing a stereotype.

Last time I rode there they had all the maps on the noticeboard next to the honesty payment box. Can get confusing if you ride the trails backwards.

Cleavage and getting lost is pushing a stereotype.

Last time I rode there they had all the maps on the noticeboard next to the honesty payment box. Can get confusing if you ride the trails backwards.

Just a thought regarding trail maps ...... does one check it out and 'memorize' it? Would it not be better to have printed ones even if you must pay?

i rode there on Saturday for the first time, the routes are marked but the signs are very small and often were placed further down the trail not at the junction of roads. we managed to find our way around and got to do all the long route single track. Also at the start they give you a link to the map so you can download it. should you need one. My only issue was underestimating the climbing - it was hard work on my single speed but the single track did make up for it.

i rode there on Saturday for the first time, the routes are marked but the signs are very small and often were placed further down the trail not at the junction of roads. we managed to find our way around and got to do all the long route single track. Also at the start they give you a link to the map so you can download it. should you need one. My only issue was underestimating the climbing - it was hard work on my single speed but the single track did make up for it.

I guess that plus the possibility of downloading a GPS track/route is the answer!

Oh and Oak Valley really wasnt as nearly as amazing as expected, but at least trails were marked well! Ran out of time to get to Paul Cluver.

I also feel the Signage at Lebanon is lacking. It's ok if you have ridden it before. Like for instance the missing sign a few hundred metres in where you turn out of the orchard.

What exactly did you not enjoy about Oak Valley? Did you do all of the Black route and RED?

Use this site better! :whistling:

Post here before you ride a new place so as to get the locals input

Also invest in a GPS really.You can download maps and if you cannot afford the 810 or so,you can still load rides from a Garmin 500 to another.

I have loaded many a map and the misses drops me at the start and walla-a new ride :drool:

Edited by feetup

We got lost doing the shorted route about a year ago. They had changed the route from previous times I was there and were missing a sign. Also had a problem a few years back when they felled the top of the red route.

Have never had a problem with the signage on the blue route.

What were you expecting from Oak Valley that you didn't find there? Its not a hugely technical trail, more fun and flowing. If you want more of an adrenaline rush, you have to do the black route.

We got lost doing the shorted route about a year ago. They had changed the route from previous times I was there and were missing a sign. Also had a problem a few years back when they felled the top of the red route.

Have never had a problem with the signage on the blue route.

What were you expecting from Oak Valley that you didn't find there? Its not a hugely technical trail, more fun and flowing. If you want more of an adrenaline rush, you have to do the black route.

Oak Valley was lovely - esp the lunch afterwards :) but I thought it would be prettier. V different terrain than that of Hemel-en-Aarde. Lots of cow poop. My friend was chased by one. Couldnt do the black route as had novices with me. Next time!