Are Bloemfonteiners mad riding on the N1 ?

Anticlimb

Aren't pedestrians, cycles and small motorcycles below 150cc banned from highways, and the minimum speed limit is 40km/hr?

Read the whole thread.

As for the speed limitation --- what is the problem then? :ph34r:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The law states that you are not allowed with bicycle on Freeway/highway.

If you come in and out of Bloemfontein have a lookout for the road signs indicating End of Highway as well as start of Highway. The fact that it is National road does not make it a Highway.

As per normal people on the net easily show fingers.

I used to live in Mpumulanga and stopped cycling as I could not find any safe routes anymore although none were Highways. Bloemfontein Roads much safer and the N1 is normally safe as well. Whould you rather cycle on a double lane road with yellow shoulder or a road with traffic in both directions with no shoulder.

That is the choice of Roadies in Bloem if the want to cycle outside of the city itself.

Not exactly the N1 near Bloemfontein.

We have been going on holiday to Knysna for many years and there are not many roads available to cycle on, so most of the riding is done on the N2 between Knysna and George or Knysna and Humansdorp. Touch wood no problems so far.

To be honest I find it saver than cycling alternative roads without the yellow line shoulder.

I grew up in Bloem and knowing the type of roads around town I agree that it is by far the safest option due to the limitations you mentioned above with regards to the shoulders etc (Old Kimberley road comes to mind). I just wish we were as fortunate to legally cycle on the freeway as this is by far the safest option around EL, and it doesn't hurt that its a great route if you want to do some hills esp the pull from Hemmingways to Nahoon Dam .

I think I should contact someone at EC Cycling and see if we can't come to the same kind of arrangement with the local traffic department as the BFN guys have regarding the N1.

I grew up in EL and still wonder where guys cycle. N7? Cant think of where else considering there are speed bumps every 50ms

I grew up in EL and still wonder where guys cycle. N7? Cant think of where else considering there are speed bumps every 50ms

N6 mostly, otherwise Settlers and the black road

I mostly do loops of Gonubie when I'm on the road bike

We have been going on holiday to Knysna for many years and there are not many roads available to cycle on, so most of the riding is done on the N2 between Knysna and George or Knysna and Humansdorp. Touch wood no problems so far.

To be honest I find it saver than cycling alternative roads without the yellow line shoulder.

Dont't think that is regarded as a freeway so it should be legal to cycle there

N6 mostly, otherwise Settlers and the black road

I mostly do loops of Gonubie when I'm on the road bike

Lots and bloody lots of glass on the EL to KWT highway. The N6 has a very rough surface to use a roadbike on. The settlers Road to Kidds Beach best option but need to ride in a group as there are places with no shoulder, also road surface is like a babys bottom, very lekker for speed

Edited by Gerhard Odendaal

When we go on holiday to Knysna we ride on the N2 between Knysna and Plett. That climb just outside out of Knysna to Sedgefield without the shoulder is bloody scary, the buses come SO close.

riding between Knysna and Plett is not too clever since its has lots of corners and it a high speed zone.

It's also not legal,, then people get upset when they get knocked over braking the rules

riding between Knysna and Plett is not too clever since its has lots of corners and it a high speed zone.

It's also not legal,, then people get upset when they get knocked over braking the rules

Why is it not legal? it is not a highway!

Most of us in Bloemfontein train on the N1 . Most of us also know to stay away from N1 during holiday time due to the volume increase in vehicles. Been training on N1 fro 14 years now. Not 1 bad expierence. Mostly find that trucks will move over to other lane when passing. The only thing that you learn quickly is to handle the off ramps. Never know if someone is going to turn because most drivers don't indicate when they leave the highway. Training on N1 is like any other road , the rider must adapt to the road to be able to be safe. Most big races in Bloem also on N1 . Goes back to rider knowledge and attitude where and how you cycle to be safe.

I visit my parents in Bloemfontein every two months or so. A general observation: Bloem drivers are more aggressive than the drivers in Johannesburg, less tolerant and quite reckless especially towards cyclists. I have more incidents on a weekend in Bloem than 1 year in Jhb.

I always ride out on the old Kimberley rd because of the fairly broad shoulder, but an out and back trip only gives me 50 km. Thanks for mentioning the N1, now I can include this into my ride.

Its called the N2

En dis n Nasionale deurpad

you are allowed to cycle on a national road as long as its not a freeway i.e. if you see this sign its a freeway and you are not allowed to cycle on that road

post-38473-0-96443000-1389770656.png