Sani pass with the tandem!!

Frohan

Please tell me how long it took? I hear it can be up to 3hrs long in a car so can't imagine a bike....

My aim was to ride up with car, cycle down...then back up to car....

Took us about 15 minutes from the pub at the top to the border post on the way down.... up too a fair bit longer.

7 hours and a few minutes total from Underberg and back to Underberg - but we did stop a few times.

Edit - this may have been from Himeville - I will have to scratch around and see where we stayed - anyone know where this is?

post-29797-0-37117000-1394713534_thumb.jpg

Edited by V12man

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

also did some reading. I you do the total pass then it is 26 km. How ling will that take?? 3 hours

Please tell me how long it took? I hear it can be up to 3hrs long in a car so can't imagine a bike....

My aim was to ride up with car, cycle down...then back up to car....

If it is raining cats and dogs, or snowing it might take you two hours to get up the pass by car, but last time I went up there I was at the pub 50 minutes after leaving Himeville, which included the stops at both border posts and two stops for photos along the way.

You might take long if you get stuck behind the touring groups though.

We went up to Natal the past Festive season and planned to do Sani pass with our tandem.

On arrival at Sani pass backpackers lodge the afternoon it was pouring and the forecast for the next day didn’t look good…but our luck turned the next morning and we started with blue skies and soon saw the pass in full glory.

It was mostly granny gear but we manage to ride up the whole way without walking once until about 30 meters from the top when the chain snapped, I repaired it and we rode the last bit to the top.

We went through the Lesotho border post and then enjoyed some coffee and biscuits at the “Highest pub in Africa”.

The decent was quick and although it started raining we still had a blast.

post-42252-0-56411200-1389089569_thumb.jpg

post-42252-0-40762700-1389089586_thumb.jpg

post-42252-0-66270900-1389089600_thumb.jpg

Well done Frohan!

I did the pass and then across the plateau and up black mountain pass. 3450m. Went from Sani backpackers and back. About 6hrs riding total about 85km if I recall. Took my time and enjoyed the views. Had quite long stops at the hotel at the top of sani and at top of black mountain so was about 8hrs all in.

Took us about 15 minutes from the pub at the top to the border post on the way down.... up too a fair bit longer.

7 hours and a few minutes total from Underberg and back to Underberg - but we did stop a few times.

Edit - this may have been from Himeville - I will have to scratch around and see where we stayed - anyone know where this is?

post-29797-0-37117000-1394713534_thumb.jpg

Himeville Arms?

We went through the Lesotho border post and then enjoyed some coffee and biscuits at the “Highest pub in Africa”.

Excellent, well done! .... but...., you did WHAT at the said establishment?

Himeville Arms?

I think you are right - the view out the back, but the wife says we stayed at Moorcroft manor - so that was the start and finish point for the ride.

I think you are right - the view out the back, but the wife says we stayed at Moorcroft manor - so that was the start and finish point for the ride.

Real men road up , drank like fish, "enjoyed" a nite with the wives and road DOWN LIKE SPARTANS

• 3 weeks later...

snapback.pngFrohan, on 07 January 2014 - 12:15 , said:

He..he.. Prawnstar...Unfortunately I didnt take enough money for the nicer things like a couple of beers, they are kind of exspensive up there....so we had to settle with the cheaper option of coffe and biscuits...!!!

Edited by Frohan

Sorry, I only check this thread now again...it took us about 1h45 up with the tandem from the border post to the top and down it was 20 minutes in the rain...so I had to take it a bit slower...didnt want to crash on our 3rd day of our holiday!!

Edited by Frohan