Hoogekraal is worth a visit - several visits

Headshot

Anyone who wants a short but hugely entertaining ride with some AM stuff thrown in should give this place a try. Most of it is easy fun, but the newish and well signposted DH route is a total blast. Whoever built it got it spot on. It manages to be jumpy, rocky, flowy and bendy all in one and goes on far longer than you'd think considering the moderate hill its on.

Many features per m and a gap/double thing I safely caught more air on than anything I've ridden anywhere else.

The climb back to the top is painful but the gradient is perfect. Lekker TMBC, Well done.

PS - pay the trail fee of R30. There is an honesty box for non TMBC members.

Anyone who wants a short but hugely entertaining ride with some AM stuff thrown in should give this place a try. Most of it is easy fun, but the newish and well signposted DH route is a total blast. Whoever built it got it spot on. It manages to be jumpy, rocky, flowy and bendy all in one and goes on far longer than you'd think considering the moderate hill its on.

Many features per m and a gap/double thing I safely caught more air on than anything I've ridden anywhere else.

The climb back to the top is painful but the gradient is perfect. Lekker TMBC, Well done.

PS - pay the trail fee of R30. There is an honesty box for non TMBC members.

This is my favourite of all the Tygerberg trails, I've been a member for 4years now, did Hoogekraal Full loop 5 times the other day, was 61,9km, 2000m ascend and took me 4h20mins at a steady pace

This is my favourite of all the Tygerberg trails, I've been a member for 4years now, did Hoogekraal Full loop 5 times the other day, was 61,9km, 2000m ascend and took me 4h20mins at a steady pace

Nice riding.

If I did that route it would have taken me 4 days 20 hrs to complete

As a TMBC member i ride there often the new section is great, the added route makes this a worthwhile ride, spotted a karacul & snake there before so take care. Probably gota take more care decending the infamous Widomaker its a mean drop off. Not to be underestimated

Have to agree with all of the above - its a wonderful addition to the area, proper riding, especially the downhill at speed.

I try and not moan about Tokai because its on my doorstep and where I learnt to ride mtb, but when you spend some time at a place like Hoogekraal you realise how poor the offering at Tokai is for what its status deserves.

You guys beyond the boerwors gordyn are truly now spoilt: Slammer, Majik, Hillcrest, Contermans, Meerendal, Hoogekraal..........

Well done TMBC!

Edited by tubed

And it sounds as if Meerendal is getting some more hardcore trails built as we speak. I will definitely be making the trip out to the North a bit more often now...

I avoided the widowmaker - had my baby boy on my back, but, its the only feature that makes little sense to me on a track that has a bit for everyone. Its not a drop off, its a stair case, and a bit dangerous IMO, especially if it gets a bit blown out ahead of the logs...

Edited by Headshot

Julle moet die 4 bulte doen:- Magic- Contermans- Meerendal- Hoogekraal...en as jy nog lewe daarna sommer terug oor Kliprug :eek:

Julle moet die 4 bulte doen:- Magic- Contermans- Meerendal- Hoogekraal...en as jy nog lewe daarna sommer terug oor Kliprug :eek:

Kliprug is a no go, you'll get shot at by the farmer

Majik - Ntida - Hillcrest - Contermans - Hoogekraal - Contermans - Greenbelt - Meerendal - Majik for a good ride. Kliprug closed due to a "BOX" who stuffed it up for us. New switchback singletrack at Conters is epic.

Majik - Ntida - Hillcrest - Contermans - Hoogekraal - Contermans - Greenbelt - Meerendal - Majik for a good ride. Kliprug closed due to a "BOX" who stuffed it up for us. New switchback singletrack at Conters is epic.

Yeah, conties is insanely fun now!

I think i'll try that this sunday, need the miles & elevation before attakwas.