Cape Epic 2014

Pieterg

How mutch money must we take for the trip

Take a credit card.... you won't spend much unless you need to buy spare parts.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pieter it sounds to me you're getting over-stressed and over-analysing this race.

First of all based on your training you should not be worrying about cut-off times. You should be backing yourself for at worst a top 150 finish with a top 100 as a real ambition. The only time cut-off should become a concern is when you have mechanical/injury/sickness issues on the day. Know what the day's cut-off is, check your average speed, check the distance left and do the maths to make sure you make it home in time.

Take a few hundred rand cash for incidentals but remember you're going to be staying in towns not the bush so a walk to draw cash is easy enough. Carry your credit card during the race in cash you need to buy parts a a tech zone.

Most importantly DON'T start looking for a new/loan bike now. You've done thousands of km's on your current bike and your body is used to it. A change now is way too risky. Your bike is more than good enough. Spend some money giving a full rebuild in the next week installing a new drivetrain if yours is more than 1000km old (you can save your current drivetrain to use later again), new BB, new tyres (I wore out a new rear Racing Ralph in 2013 on the Epic), new brake pads and gear cables, service your fork and bleed your brakes. Yes that will be a few thousand rand but in the context of your race investment it is money well spent). YOu can still keep and use your used tyres etc again later.

Good luck!

Note on the cut off times, the finish cut off is predetermined but extendable by the race comms if conditions and the winning times are outside of the expected, notice of the cutt off time are posted at the last water point. There are however cut offs at the final waterpoint and these are determined the day before and announced at the evening briefing by the race organiser.

Pieter it sounds to me you're getting over-stressed and over-analysing this race.

First of all based on your training you should not be worrying about cut-off times. You should be backing yourself for at worst a top 150 finish with a top 100 as a real ambition. The only time cut-off should become a concern is when you have mechanical/injury/sickness issues on the day. Know what the day's cut-off is, check your average speed, check the distance left and do the maths to make sure you make it home in time.

Take a few hundred rand cash for incidentals but remember you're going to be staying in towns not the bush so a walk to draw cash is easy enough. Carry your credit card during the race in cash you need to buy parts a a tech zone.

Most importantly DON'T start looking for a new/loan bike now. You've done thousands of km's on your current bike and your body is used to it. A change now is way too risky. Your bike is more than good enough. Spend some money giving a full rebuild in the next week installing a new drivetrain if yours is more than 1000km old (you can save your current drivetrain to use later again), new BB, new tyres (I wore out a new rear Racing Ralph in 2013 on the Epic), new brake pads and gear cables, service your fork and bleed your brakes. Yes that will be a few thousand rand but in the context of your race investment it is money well spent). YOu can still keep and use your used tyres etc again later.

Good luck!

Unfortunatley this years Epic villages will not be in the towns as like last years. In some cases its more than 8km's out. So I would take some cash plus a Credit card. Hoepfully ABSA will bring a mobile ATM :)

just sent my bike in for its major service prior to Epic. Getting everything done, strip down, rebuild, new valves, cables, brake service, bearings and tyres. Elected to stay with Fast Track Control's, will these manage the hectic Western Cape terrain?

Unfortunatley this years Epic villages will not be in the towns as like last years. In some cases its more than 8km's out. So I would take some cash plus a Credit card. Hoepfully ABSA will bring a mobile ATM :)

AND... the Epic organisers have made the bag MUCH smaller than last year - now its oficcially 80l and if you multiply out the bag dimensions - 65l - so about half of last years and even less than 2012...

Going to be a mission to fit everything in that dinky toy bag with a sleeping bag and pillow.

Personally I think its an Epic fail on the part of the organisers to make it that size - really complicates what you take - and yes - I told them so in an email - just they have not replied yet.....

AND... the Epic organisers have made the bag MUCH smaller than last year - now its oficcially 80l and if you multiply out the bag dimensions - 65l - so about half of last years and even less than 2012...

Going to be a mission to fit everything in that dinky toy bag with a sleeping bag and pillow.

Personally I think its an Epic fail on the part of the organisers to make it that size - really complicates what you take - and yes - I told them so in an email - just they have not replied yet.....

Hey V12man,

where did you find the bag dimensions? I would like to check if my toolbox etc. fits in there.

Could you please provide a link or the dimensions for me?

Hey V12man,

where did you find the bag dimensions? I would like to check if my toolbox etc. fits in there.

Could you please provide a link or the dimensions for me?

I asked.... and got this .pdf from them.

ROVETROLLEY_DIMENSIONS.pdf

Also found it on-line - if you look REALLY carefully.

http://www.evocsport...-cape-epic.html

Damn small - I compared it to the other bags - and it's about half the size of 2012 and 2/3 the size of 2013 - and I had to dump stuff out to fit it in last years bag...

Going to be a bastard to pack.... if what I need doesn't fit, going to hook it to the outside....

I think it's pretty much an EPIC FAIL on their part.... :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:

Take a credit card.... you won't spend much unless you need to buy spare parts.

Pack some cash.

For the beer tent/chill zone

For the chips and burgers you buy from the tannies. I reckon R500 will cover the week.

Can I have 2bags please!!!!!!!!!!

You can - steal some space from your partner.... :)

I asked.... and got this .pdf from them.

ROVETROLLEY_DIMENSIONS.pdf

Also found it on-line - if you look REALLY carefully.

http://www.evocsport...-cape-epic.html

Damn small - I compared it to the other bags - and it's about half the size of 2012 and 2/3 the size of 2013 - and I had to dump stuff out to fit it in last years bag...

Going to be a bastard to pack.... if what I need doesn't fit, going to hook it to the outside....

I think it's pretty much an EPIC FAIL on their part.... :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:

Many Thanks!

That thing does indeed look pretty small.

Packing challenge accepted...

Many Thanks!

That thing does indeed look pretty small.

Packing challenge accepted...

It's TINY... saw it at the route launch.... but didn't believe that was the riders bag until the other day.... and Evoc make a bag that's 120L - so why would they design one that is that small for the Epic... unless there is some economising going on on transport costs...

It's clear they never tried to fit a sleeping bag and pillow into it.... and 8 days of ride kit, nutrition, toiletries and after hours clothes... let alone wet weather gear and warm clothes...

It's TINY... saw it at the route launch.... but didn't believe that was the riders bag until the other day.... and Evoc make a bag that's 120L - so why would they design one that is that small for the Epic... unless there is some economising going on on transport costs...

It's clear they never tried to fit a sleeping bag and pillow into it.... and 8 days of ride kit, nutrition, toiletries and after hours clothes... let alone wet weather gear and warm clothes...

I also was expecting to get their 120l world traveller bag.

Besides the nutrition which takes up a lot of space I'll need to take a few tools and spares as well cause I can't afford a mechanic service. My partner and I now organised a supply delivery halfway through the race so we don't have to pack supplement food for the whole week.

I usually take only a pillow case and stuff it with what is available - old camping trick...

Any tips what you guys think is absolute essential to bring?

What is your experience with the laundry service? Is it realistic to hand in a bag for washing and getting it back the next day?