Doing 2 x loops of the Argus

Garfield2010

Ok so I want to do this. If I drive up to Cape Town for the Argus I wanna make it count as I am also doing IM.

Questions:-

1. Is it legal to do 2 x loops?

2. What is the latest I can start the second loop (when do they open the roads again)

3. Should I take my time chip off fro lap number 2?

4. How do I get onto the route again for the second loop?

5. What time do the last group go off at?

Thanks

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

all i know is that no, it isn't legal but its also something i was hoping to do...the 2nd lap for charity ofcourse.

I'd be willing to pay a 2nd entry fee too if they allowed.

Frail does it - perhaps ask him.

We were speaking about doing 2 loops on our last group ride but don't have any other info.

Start and end are very close to each other and I think last groups leave after 10h30

Frail does it - perhaps ask him.

We were speaking about doing 2 loops on our last group ride but don't have any other info.

Start and end are very close to each other and I think last groups leave after 10h30

So will then need to start at 07h00.

JGR will you guys be doing a long ride on the Saturday as well? (training for IM)

Maybe I can rather do a 5 hour ride on Saturday and then just 1 x Argus...............

Ok so I want to do this. If I drive up to Cape Town for the Argus I wanna make it count as I am also doing IM.

2. What is the latest I can start the second loop (when do they open the roads again)

Thanks

you're not allowed to do it, but it doesn't stop many. they used to allow it, but then tom dick and harry tried and there were lost souls all over the course when they needed to pack up.

I think frail did 3 laps once, and that's the trick..do your first one at 3am, and then the second in your actual group.

1. Is it legal to do 2 x loops? Don't know....but heavily frowned upon and won't allow you if you want to start again. When I did it twice, I entered twice. That sort off sets a better tone...two start cards etc.

2. What is the latest I can start the second loop (when do they open the roads again) Last group starting

3. Should I take my time chip off fro lap number 2? Jip. Otherwise your first time around gets written over with the slower time....

4. How do I get onto the route again for the second loop? Like I said....just pay twice and start from the batches.

Last year I had to cycle home to Houtbay and had to "share" my route with the Argus route for a couple of kilos.

You can go to the start and go around the start line and just cut in there....about 200m from the start.

5. What time do the last group go off at? Think around 10:30

Thanks

I wanted to do it last year and was heavily discouraged by people saying the PPA would have me tarred, feathered and disqualified for life if I was caught, so I didn't.

Then I heard about loads of people doing it, so this year the PPA moet maar catch me because I'll definitely be doing 2.

I'll probably be in A/B, doing about 3:00 - 3:15 (weather depending) so PM me closer to the time and I'll ride along for the second lap.

Editing for questions:

Against the law? No. Against the PPA's event rules? Yes.

10:30ish, but you could start later as you'll be catching people very, very quickly. The people at the back-end are the bierboepens/MTB/RideOnceAYear brigade. I've seen people pushing their bikes up Hospital Bend.

Yes

Just join up wherever you like. It's pretty easy to find a spot just after the start.

10:30ish

Edited by sluiper

I wanted to do it last year and was heavily discouraged by people saying the PPA would have me tarred, feathered and disqualified for life if I was caught, so I didn't.

Then I heard about loads of people doing it, so this year the PPA moet maar catch me because I'll definitely be doing 2.

I'll probably be in A/B, doing about 3:00 - 3:15 (weather depending) so PM me closer to the time and I'll ride along for the second lap.

Cool

I also wanna do a 03h15. Hopefully I get a good seeding with my crappy Amashova time of 03h25. OFM I was enroute for a 02h50 until I had a mechanical with 10km left.

Lets wait and see

Apparently for the 94.7 it was super easy to do a second lap, I know loads of guys who did this.

If peeps are going to do a second lap, I'll join you for some of the way cos have to get to the airport that afternoon. So will probably duck off around Fishhoek and do Ou Kaapse Weg back to Newlands

Seems there was a "small" change in the rules, in the past it was flatly disallowed

2.22 A rider shall not ride the Cycle Tour course a second time after finishing unless he/she has obtained the permission of the organiser and complied with all requirements for such permission

I wonder how that will work, would love to do a second round but I'm to much of a wuss to do it illegaly

Ok I am not too confident - too many things to worry about. Punctures etc.

Let me ask this... Is there by any change a marathon on in Cape Town the 8th of April?

Seems there was a "small" change in the rules, in the past it was flatly disallowed

2.22 A rider shall not ride the Cycle Tour course a second time after finishing unless he/she has obtained the permission of the organiser and complied with all requirements for such permission

I wonder how that will work, would love to do a second round but I'm to much of a wuss to do it illegaly

Well.... lets ask them??

Thanks

I did one and a third last year. I finished then went from the start to newlands, cut through to Hout Bay and finished with my fiancee. I will help you with what I know.

1. Legality: No, but I have never heard of anyone getting into trouble for it.

2.Time: Around 10:30, So you have to start before 7 and do a sub 3 to go again.

3.Chip: Yes, take it off. I put mine in the car before setting off again.

4. Route: I parked my car outside Truth coffee in Buitenkant street. After my first loop I went to the car to take my chip off and have a drink and refuel. I rode from Buitenkant to Strand str. Took a right at strand and then waved to the metro cop as I took the N2 bridge to join the race.

you worried about that?!

Well if I want to do it x 2 then I cant afford a puncture as I will probably be cutting the 10h30 group very close...