The temerity of it!

porqui

Any chance you got her registration? Maybe just get an incident number at cop shop in case you need ut. Hope you're not 'eina' tomorrow morning.

glad to hear you're ok.

observations from personal experience that seem to apply to this case:

1. a lot of motorists don't see bicycles as equal road users

2. a lot of motorists severely underestimate the speed of an oncoming bicycle

although it's hard to swallow (and many will disagree, for valid reasons), weighing up the course of potential outcomes, i think you did the right thing in the end.

I agree. Although with a small caveat. I would have recorded her details, gone for a complete physical, laid a charge at the police station, gotten my insurance involved and get them to make sure she pays.

Money is the only thing people seem to understand and/or give a rats arse about.

Porq, you're amazingly calm. But ja, she's obviously too stupid to actually register a coherent or rational answer. Shame, imagine, some poor people actually have to live/work with her.

temerity

tɪˈmɛrɪti/Submit

noun

excessive confidence or boldness; audacity.

"no one had the temerity to question his conclusions"

synonyms: audacity, boldness, audaciousness, nerve, effrontery, impudence, impertinence, cheek, barefaced cheek, gall, presumption, presumptuousness, brazenness, forwardness, front, rashness

I have actually learn't something on the hub!

temerity

tɪˈmɛrɪti/Submit

noun

excessive confidence or boldness; audacity.

"no one had the temerity to question his conclusions"

synonyms: audacity, boldness, audaciousness, nerve, effrontery, impudence, impertinence, cheek, barefaced cheek, gall, presumption, presumptuousness, brazenness, forwardness, front, rashness

I have actually learn't something on the hub!

Should be part of the school syllabus.

I always find that when I ride on the road in the daytime with my flashing LED light, cars always stop and wait for me if they are wanting to turn in front of me thinking that I am going much faster then I actually am. This leaves me feeling a bit dof as I am often riding quite slowly like at the end of a long ride and then they end up waiting and waiting and waiting for me to cross the road they want to turn into! I suppose at the end of the day it means that we both got through the incident safely.

I always make sure though that I wave and show my appreciation for them having waited for me.

Glad you survived. And (sort of) glad she survived too. I would probably have thrown my bike at her, along with a few lessons on right of way rules, delivered loudly in very short words.

I've had a few very close calls exactly like this in the past few years - driver looks me in the eye and proceeds to turn across me. 600 lumen flashing light and all. When I was 16 I collected a car in the same way. Fortunately the guy was very apologetic, wasn't looking and bought me a new bike - and there was the satisfaction of knowing I put a R 30k dent in his Porsche.

Now I ride on the mountain, so if I come pipe it's nobody's fault but mine.

Any chance you got her registration? Maybe just get an incident number at cop shop in case you need ut. Hope you're not 'eina' tomorrow morning.

Jip....was her car damaged...last thing you need is her insurance wanting to hold you liable and claim from you....etc ...wasn't it Outsurance that tried something like that... :blink:

Lets look on the bright side of it, Word a day! bit of a tongue twister though .. tea merry tea?

And as I used to say in my flying days, any landing you can walk away from was a good one :)

I always try an anticipate vehicles turning in front of me, even when driving. Obviously worse on a bike. But its the one you don't see, or see to late that's going to be collision.

The other challenge is keeping ones cool after such an encounter.

Edited by kosmonooit