Cycle Scam - Specialized Stumpjumper Expert.

Robin Olbrich

I advertised a large Stumpjumper Expert 2012 model on Gum Tree during the festive season and received an email form an interested buyer James Malinga. He called me to meet his son for whom he was buying the bike and asked to meet at a convenient location in Cape Town. I agreed to meet his son Shaun on Saturday 4th January at a KFC in Cape Town.

I met his Shaun as planned with the bike and he was very happy with the condition and agreed to buy the bike but needed call his father James to do the EFT. Shaun spoke to his father and then he handed the phone to me to speak to his father to confirm the price and my bank details. He said a transfer would be done immediately from his FNB account and I would receive an SMS from the bank within a few minutes confirming the transfer. After 10min an SMS bank transfer confirmation from FNB was delivered to my mobile from a 16 digit number confirming payment with details of my bank account a payment reference and an FNB help line number.

I released the bike to Shaun (picture of him below) and we parted ways. Two days later the money was not in my account and I contacted the FNB help line number sent with the confirmation of payment and they confirmed that they have no record of the reference number given nor do they use the text message number used to confirm the payment from James Malinga. I HAD BEEN SCAMMED!

Beware and be on the lookout for the bike below and contact details of Shaun and James.

post-53139-0-57943100-1389555339_thumb.jpgpost-53139-0-72358000-1389555340_thumb.jpg

• James Malinga

Cell Phone: 0735410335 and 0603238884

Email Address:
Note the name James gave me does not match the name on the link below.
  • Shaun

Cell Phone: 0604083240

Picture of Shaun: http://www.facebook....&type=1

post-53139-0-68059900-1389555341_thumb.jpg

Sent: robino@icon.co.za

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Always make sure the funds has cleared in your account before handing over any item, also note that they ask for EFT details then deposit a cheque into your account so you get a sms to say the funds has been deposited but then its reversed 2days later.

I know someone who caught a guy trying to con him like this, he was caught and got on his moer solid then called saps.

Sad about your loss karma is a bitch and every dog will get his day

I would have fallen for this scam also because the second number where not from a ZA number.

Always the exact same MO. The lesson to everyone?

CASH CASH CASH! DONT SETTLE FOR ANYTHING LESS!

Less than a week after the new banknotes were issued I had a fake R200 note in my hands that looked indistinguishable from the real ones. Only reason I found out was because the ATM did not want to accept it. Turned out to be fake when I took it in to the bank to deposit. It had all the watermarks and glitter it needed. So CASH CASH CASH???

I was scammed last year when someone deposited a cheque in to my account and it showed on the bank statements. It bounced a few days later. I am not sure how they managed to do it but I did not know it was a cheque deposit. I thought thay did an EFT or paid it cash in to my account from at ATM. I always checked the bank statements before I shipped and it showed the right amount with correct order reference number. I pick it up a few months later when the income statement did not match the balance. Bank said sorry bounced cheque and owner of the cheque claimed it was a stolen cheque book.

So good luck finding a scam proof method of payment.

A similar thing ALMOST happened to me.

I received the sms but I first phoned the bank. They said that the ref number did not exist.

The sender's number looked legit but one can simulate a legit sms by using bulk sms software such as Clickatell.

I did not hand the goods over.

I guess lessons are learnt on the back of unfortunate victims. Cash is king in the second hand sales market, way too many fraudsters.

Somebody I know was killed for his car when meeting a prospective buyer from Gumtree. He was going out to show his car to a buyer and that was the last time we saw him alive.

Always so cautious with selling stuff online. Your life could be at stake, nevermind your wallet.

I advertised a large Stumpjumper Expert 2012 model on Gum Tree during the festive season and received an email form an interested buyer James Malinga. He called me to meet his son for whom he was buying the bike and asked to meet at a convenient location in Cape Town. I agreed to meet his son Shaun on Saturday 4th January at a KFC in Cape Town.

I met his Shaun as planned with the bike and he was very happy with the condition and agreed to buy the bike but needed call his father James to do the EFT. Shaun spoke to his father and then he handed the phone to me to speak to his father to confirm the price and my bank details. He said a transfer would be done immediately from his FNB account and I would receive an SMS from the bank within a few minutes confirming the transfer. After 10min an SMS bank transfer confirmation from FNB was delivered to my mobile from a 16 digit number confirming payment with details of my bank account a payment reference and an FNB help line number.

I released the bike to Shaun (picture of him below) and we parted ways. Two days later the money was not in my account and I contacted the FNB help line number sent with the confirmation of payment and they confirmed that they have no record of the reference number given nor do they use the text message number used to confirm the payment from James Malinga. I HAD BEEN SCAMMED!

Beware and be on the lookout for the bike below and contact details of Shaun and James.

post-53139-0-57943100-1389555339_thumb.jpgpost-53139-0-72358000-1389555340_thumb.jpg

• James Malinga

Cell Phone: 0735410335 and 0603238884

Email Address:
Note the name James gave me does not match the name on the link below.
  • Shaun

Cell Phone: 0604083240

Picture of Shaun: http://www.facebook....&type=1

post-53139-0-68059900-1389555341_thumb.jpg

Sent: robino@icon.co.za

Sad loss. Only one way, money must reflect in your account. Just looking at this character, I wouldn't have trusted him with the time of day!

A similar thing ALMOST happened to me.

I received the sms but I first phoned the bank. They said that the ref number did not exist.

The sender's number looked legit but one can simulate a legit sms by using bulk sms software such as Clickatell.

I did not hand the goods over.

And you left it there? No police?

It's so easy to catch these guys with a few sting operations from the police. Set up a small unit and look at hub and gumtree and catch them. Days like this makes me want to become a detective.

And you left it there? No police?

It's so easy to catch these guys with a few sting operations from the police. Set up a small unit and look at hub and gumtree and catch them. Days like this makes me want to become a detective.

PROBLEM IS YOU catch him tomorrow he is on the street doing the same again, i think the catching part is the easy part,

its getting the clown to actually spend time behind bars,