What and when to eat before a race

Paulst12

Who stocks Game now? I have looked around for it but cant find it at the supermarkets........

I favour Hammer Perpeptuem for on the ride food. Find it easy on the stomach........

Spar, checkers....even sportsmans have it.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Night before the race, a good meal (normally pasta) and some beers

Race day:

For breakfast, I'll have future life and a banana, and sip on an energy drink on the way to the race. I normally eat a peanut butter and jam sarmie while getting ready at the car.

During the race I will chomp those 32GI chews and pop a GU every now and then accompanied by FiT CarboSupreme juice.

After the race, I will find the biggest meal around and smash it in my face, obviously with a good few beers to wash it down.

cant beat porridge for a pre race meal. sometimes il even have it for pudding the night before.

i cant normally eat on a big ride especially if its hot. i did attakwas on sat and for that i had muesli in the morning which i left soaking in the fridge overnight in milk and water. i had 2 pieces of toast and peanut butter too but that was just being greedy and i felt a bit full... lucky this was at 4.30 in the morning so id digested it by the start!

i rode the first hour and a half with just water+electrolytes (i used nuun coz it tastes nice). after an hour i had a gel then at the 2nd water point some 2hours ish in i filled up my bottle which had enduren in it. i drank this between water points 2 and 3. i use it mainly because i won it but also coz its flavourless. the only other energy powder i use is an english company called torq. its also flavourless which i find crucial in the heat. i cant stomach anything sweet and every flavoured energy drink tastes sweet to me in the heat.

i carried on using a gel every hour and had another bottle of energy drink which i didnt finish. i probably ate about 6 small date balls in total and a couple of pieces of watermelon.

i always have a protein shake after, not a complete recovery mix with protein and carbs because id rather eat solid food after.

theres no right or wrong way to do it. everyones energy requirements are different and you have to see what works for you. if its a long race or a multi day id always err on the side of too much rather than not enough. you need to try things too coz there are so many products out there that there is no reason for you not to find one that you like the taste of.

GATSPY!!!!! nee jis....I am willing to try most things but I am not open to that :ph34r:

what is a gatspy....I am afraid to ask

Naught boetie, you never had a GATSBY....aibo

Think we need to sort that out quickly!

If they make them at TV-Takeaways(the v-town boys will know this spot) I will give it a go for sure

Jimmy's Killer Fish & Chips does a Gatsby, think Akhalwayas call it an AK. Nou is ek lus

Before: Oats with milk, honey and banana, taken with a cup of coffee about an hour before the race.

During: depends on the distance but usually a mixture of the following GU Roctane, EVOX energy bar, peanuts and raisens, energade jellies, apples, bananas, baby potatoes

Eish, sounds like youre having a picnic out there......

Having an AK before a race is going to give you SSSEEEERRRRIIIAAAAAAASSSS turboboost!

AK's are ultimate (but only on those serious cheat days) Dont know if you lads have heard of a 'Wonder Why' Pizza? Jeees :nuke: :excl: :nuke: :excl:

Future life with water and banana in the morning plus coffee. 32GI drink before departure and then only water and 32GI, with cheap "health" bars until lunch time. Smash a burger with desert at lunch time and load the sugar from then on. Chocolate milk and a good meal at night. Repeat the next day. Works for me when I want to cover distance.

But just to add on the serious side....

Depends on the type of race:

MTB Ultra Marathons - is usually a small bowl of Future life, slice of toast with peanutbutter and half a banana and a glass of orange juice, this 3 -3.5 hours before the start then have another slice of toast with peanutbutter and the other half of the banana about an 1.5 hours before the start.

During the race, take a white bread sandwhich with nutella cut into 4 blocks and have every 1-1.5hours (your body absorbs white and whats on it quickly, thats the reasoning for white bread) together with a carb drink that has electrolytes and vitamins.

For a 100km road ride I usually do just a bowl of future life and a glass of orange juice 3 hours before and then a slice of toast 1.5hours before.

But what works for me might not work somebody else. The best is just to figure out what you comfortable with.

But just to add on the serious side....

Depends on the type of race:

MTB Ultra Marathons - is usually a small bowl of Future life, slice of toast with peanutbutter and half a banana and a glass of orange juice, this 3 -3.5 hours before the start then have another slice of toast with peanutbutter and the other half of the banana about an 1.5 hours before the start.

During the race, take a white bread sandwhich with nutella cut into 4 blocks and have every 1-1.5hours (your body absorbs white and whats on it quickly, thats the reasoning for white bread) together with a carb drink that has electrolytes and vitamins.

For a 100km road ride I usually do just a bowl of future life and a glass of orange juice 3 hours before and then a slice of toast 1.5hours before.

But what works for me might not work somebody else. The best is just to figure out what you comfortable with.

Dude I am dead serious about the doughnuts and monster....

• For a long hard day I have a big bowl of Pronutro in the morning.
  • For an easier recovery day or 2-3 hour endurance ride I have raw Oats and double cream Greek yoghurt with honey.
  • I ride with Heed in strawberry cos it makes me think of drinking strawberry sterri stumpies and it makes me feel young and playfull.
  • Then for protein, the sliced moist beef biltong from Woolies as it chews super easy, almost melts in your mouth.
  • Some dried, pitted dates are my favorite but due to possible digestion issues :blush: , I also fill the bag with dried banana strips as well as dried pineapple for a surprise every time I grab a piece from my pocket.
  • Jungle oats bars, yoghurt or the lite on if it's gonna be hot and you don't want chocolate or yoghurt all over your gloves. Cheaper than those fancy bars and good enough for me
  • With this in my pocket I can basically ride all day, maybe not at race pace
  • And then one Gel of the pooh hits the fan and all else fails

Edited by camelman

I heard you should eat what you normally eat.

night before: chicken/fish and rice, or pasta and chicken, sometimes whatever is made

before race: Muesli and yoghurt for me, with either a coffee/water/bit of energy drink, and maybe a banana or other fruit. banana muffin(same as banana bread just in cupcake cups) - if available.

During race: a banana or energy bar. I struggle to eat something solid during rides but also cannot stomach the energy gels (chander everywhere).

Good topic but damn im lus for the pizza or gatsby.