Demise of XCO in SA

NicoBoshoff

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't ******* believe what I just read.

Believe it, and speak to guys that have done the "hell and back" race.....

Edited by Gerhard Odendaal

Yeah Swiss, but the question begs - if it's too hard (bith physically and technically) why not try it out and get better at it by at least trying it out and assessing your weak spots, then concentrating on them to improve?

Thats the million $$ question, why dont people try it and stick to it?

My first mtb race was +/- 1997 and was a club XCO race, i nearly died (i was triathlon fit but not mtb fit). I loved it and came back for more and more and used marathons as training for XCO.

But even in those days the amount of riders doing XCO (club races never mind provincal or nationals) was really low, especially compared to the marathon events.

I simply think XCO is to intense for most people to have fun.

I can't ******* believe what I just read.

Believe it, and speak to guys that have done the "hell and back" race.....

LOL ja... RSA must be the XCM marathon capital of the world.

I think most people here are making it look like XCO is too tough for an average guy.

In 2007 when I was still into "racing" I did a full season of XCO nationals in elite category. In hindsight it is that training and experience that gave me physical strength, mental toughness and skills. All the above can be applied on marathons as well.

The last two years I have nit been fit at all. I still ride our provincial XCO series, on my 150mm trail bike, and it is awesome. Many obstacles on National level XCO courses are the same difficulty as obstacles on local enduros, but in XCO you have to ride them while you are close to max heart rate. It is an awesome experience, and some of the best training for marathons and enduros.

Yip. Looks like a bit of rain on friday afternoon to make things a bit interesting. My first xco....

Rain makes things faster. Except when it's torrential. Then it makes things fun. Like when I wiped out this past saturday. Twice. Laughed so bloody hard at myself. Perfect way to end a kick-ass ride - faceplant in the parking lot. And you know what? It made me feel like a kid again. When I used to purposefully wipe out just to see how I'd land.

But yeah. People just don't want to improve their skills. I see it all the time in Tokai. They have no idea that they're missing out on the MTB holy grail - singletrack. It not only improves your skill if you work at it, it improves your bike handling, your fitness (threshold efforts - trust me on this one) and so on. I just shake my head and wonder why.

What do you mean though?

That nobody in their right mind would say that there was too much singletrack at a venue.

Okay - in a "race" like the MTB Burger or theMTB Argus, too much ST is a bad thing purely 'cos of the numbers. But as for normal events with a smaller attendance, singletrack (or dual track so that there are passing opportunities) is the ideal scenario. Threshold all the time, concentration, technical skill and so on. And if you're not ready for a certain section - USE THE B LINE!!!

Here are two examples:

Jared Graves (Enduro Pro) doing XCO for fun and training:

post-4006-1390247152,6778.jpg

Alban Lakata (Marathon ace and former XCM world champ) riding XCO world cup #2 - Nove Mesto 2013:

post-4006-1390247541,6297.jpg

I think most people here are making it look like XCO is too tough for an average guy.

In 2007 when I was still into "racing" I did a full season of XCO nationals in elite category. In hindsight it is that training and experience that gave me physical strength, mental toughness and skills. All the above can be applied on marathons as well.

The last two years I have nit been fit at all. I still ride our provincial XCO series, on my 150mm trail bike, and it is awesome. Many obstacles on National level XCO courses are the same difficulty as obstacles on local enduros, but in XCO you have to ride them while you are close to max heart rate. It is an awesome experience, and some of the best training for marathons and enduros.

LOL. You should have seen the faces of the guys I was riding with on Saturday when they asked how much travel I had, and I answered 170mm... But I can ride that thing all day long.

The joke of it is that now the enduros are being dumbed down to introduce more riders, so even without the mistakes that come with riding in the red zone-xco is becoming more technical than the enduros. Have you seen the how technical EWS is? Madness...

Here are two examples:

Jared Graves (Enduro Pro) doing XCO for fun and training:

post-4006-1390247152,6778.jpg

Alban Lakata (Marathon ace and former XCM world champ) riding XCO world cup #2 - Nove Mesto 2013:

post-4006-1390247541,6297.jpg

Photos like that just reiterate how much of a machine the Gravester is. I mean, winning the first XC race he entered this year, with a blown-out fork...