Demise of XCO in SA

NicoBoshoff

Problem in Cape Town is that it is so hard to find info on the XCO races. I love them, but every time I went to the website, it hadn't been updated so you didn't know when the next one was. (This was about 2 years back so it might have changed).

I love the courses I did, my favourite being Zevenwacht (just love the one rock that you get to ride down).

Yes did an XCO there too a couple of years ago. Even had a singlespeed category.

Also competed in the University XCO once at Wiesenhof, same course as the 24 hour race that used to be there. Was just stoked I got to the end without being cut and/or lapped.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tokai doesn't have enough trails for a proper Enduro, Jonkers on the other hand!

It does, but not at the right level yet.

Liaison 1: Up the JT, to the top of Cobra.

SS1: Cobra / Mamba / Boomslang / Snake Eyes.

Liaison 2: Back up to top of DH 1

SS2: Down the beginning of DH1 and through the "intermediate" trail or Boulders.

Liaison 3: Back up to DH0.

SS3: DH0/1/2.

Break.

SS4: Vasbyt down (more technical than DH3 and more intense from an effort perspective)

Break at the quarry

SS5: Start of final stage on the jeep track next to the quarry, down through My Roots to the finish at the bottom by the lower entrance to Fairy Garden.

As I said - there's enough, but the snakes don't yet have the technicality to make it as viable as the route would be at Jonkers. Still - would be interesting to track it all. I can see what I'm going to do this sunday...

Could also include the Bluegums trail as a short sharp special stage after DH0/1/2. Then back up to Vasbyt for the 5th stage and so on. Or instead of doing the beginning of DH1 in the 2nd SS, you could do Boulders into Intermediary or the full Boulders as a more technical, less DH oriented challenge. Cos that trail IS a challenge for most riders.

I am going to do XCO. Sold, thanks Nico. Time for me to get fit again. :thumbup:

Another format I dig, ok probably because Lopes cleaned up, is the XC eliminator. Don't know if it was just Brian making all the other guys look bad, but the format looked fun too.

Certainly the XCO track has a lot to play in the popularity of the event. Some courses, mostly international ones provide TV with really good shots, the features are named and develop a personaltiy. Good TV is what drives the level of tech features after-all.. sponsors want numbers. The Epic has the best TV, tough act to follow.

Nico, SA XCO being the new kid compared to XCM will need to fight hard to pull the numbers that sponsors are finding in XCM.. it's a bit of a catch-22 especially while economy is tight.

A bit off-track but in response to some posts; in a little ol' place like Tokai (as well as many others), marathon is welcomed along with every other kind of other riding. I find it best not to be too selective about what is considered cool or uncool, technical or not technical, fact is everyone loves what they do.. SA for the most part is fitness oriented, public trails tend to have the need to cater to everyone, a bit like CTD.. 3 factory settings that pros and novices share - unless it's valved, then it's cheating.. ^_^ This could be why we don't see as many XCO courses/trails where people can skill up knowingly. If it is too tech, you start excluding/not too tech, the comments fly.. A tough one for the trails to balance. Distinction is needed, that's what the future is about, certainly here it is..

Clothing is a good indicator of where markets are growing. Many more AM helmets from more diverse brands are available lately - proof the all-mountain market is growing. A few years ago I was told Enduro/AM helmets are not even a consideration, that same person is now importing them in bulk! Maybe the sport of XCO won't survive, that's a dreaded reality.. but socially riders are looking for more.

@Mayhem, the Snake trails will develop as riders can handle more. It will be a slow learning curve for many. Can't rush it, certainly not in the middle of Cape Town. :eek:

Could also include the Bluegums trail as a short sharp special stage after DH0/1/2. Then back up to Vasbyt for the 5th stage and so on. Or instead of doing the beginning of DH1 in the 2nd SS, you could do Boulders into Intermediary or the full Boulders as a more technical, less DH oriented challenge. Cos that trail IS a challenge for most riders.

Don't worry man. It's plenty fine to have a good event here! There is ample but riders will need to be fit!

I can hear the complaints.. ha ha!

I miss the xc races. I did a few in the 90s and it was great fun. We did races between 1-5 laps of a coarse. There was no xcm and singletrack was taken for granted.

LOL. You should have seen the faces of the guys I was riding with on Saturday when they asked how much travel I had, and I answered 170mm... But I can ride that thing all day long.

and what a machine the minn is...if he had done last years world cup the same time as Graves he would have kicked his arse (wind picked up)

It does, but not at the right level yet.

Liaison 1: Up the JT, to the top of Cobra.

SS1: Cobra / Mamba / Boomslang / Snake Eyes.

Liaison 2: Back up to top of DH 1

SS2: Down the beginning of DH1 and through the "intermediate" trail or Boulders.

Liaison 3: Back up to DH0.

SS3: DH0/1/2.

Break.

SS4: Vasbyt down (more technical than DH3 and more intense from an effort perspective)

Break at the quarry

SS5: Start of final stage on the jeep track next to the quarry, down through My Roots to the finish at the bottom by the lower entrance to Fairy Garden.

As I said - there's enough, but the snakes don't yet have the technicality to make it as viable as the route would be at Jonkers. Still - would be interesting to track it all. I can see what I'm going to do this sunday...

Can I join you and track on my SS XCO bike? PM me

The one thing I picked up lately riding lots of jonkershoek and G-spot is that your average u23 laaitie in lycra on his HT 100mm bike in the Stellies area is extremely technically proficient. Unfortunately they ride those trails as training for the weekend's XCM race or the Attakwas or Epic where they hope to be seen and pick up a sponsorship.

In the end the social market is dictating where the pro's are going.

I suspect that once Eduro becomes big enough to pull some sponsorships we'll start seeing a shift in mentality. Perhaps we'll even see some XCM pro's come and Stava the hell out of us Enduro scrubs.

The fact that we now have three/four active Enduro series going indicates the time may be nigh.

Here's hoping.

Simple numbers/ economics issue also.

The number of entrants is inversely proportional to the difficulty of the terrain.

Imagine a DH event with 4000 riders.

I like technical, marathon distance races, feels like the best blend of required skills.

Its a big market out there, so, many tastes to cater for.

Read an insightful (and in my opinion, sensible) piece in the latest Full Suss mag regarding the demise of XCO in SA.

Basically it boils down to XCM events exploding (because sponsors push there for max exposure) and as a result a downturn in the amount of quality XCO events other than the provincial and national ones.

Really sad.

We're cultivating a mass of riders with little, if any, technical ability.

You can see it in the average trail out there (not that I'm complaining - it's fun having the proper trails to ourselves).

Hopefully the Spur Series will turn a corner for SA's XCO future.

LOL ja... RSA must be the XCM marathon capital of the world.

I guess they pick which arena they want to expose themselves on.

On an international level, yes there is XCM, but the XCO gets far more exposure. I don't follow XC racing in general, but I can name a good few top XCO riders. As for XCM... I could probably only name the ones that do XCO as their main discipline (excludng local pro's because most of them are XCM focused)..

On a local level however, XM does get more exposure because it's more accessible to the masses. Take the Nissan series for instance. It gets housewives and weekend warriors "racing" (even if it's only for 20km).

So for max local exposure... XCM makes sense... but for getting riders exposed on an international level, I think XCO would do better.

Look at last years World Champs. Our top elite riders (in fact pretty much ALL of them) got completely schooled in the XCO. Our best finishing male placed 47th (out of 75). Out of all the SA males, him and another were the only 2 not to get lapped. Our top female rider was 34th out of 47th. All our ladies got lapped. (At the same time, we had a DH elite male privateer place 23rd out of 68. Not bad at all).

So before people think I'm sayng "everyone should be a DH rider"... Im not. I'm simply saying that due to lack of XCO training, races, and promotion, our "SA Sponsored Superstars" are somewhat out of their depth on an international level. They're all great riders, I'm pretty sure of that. And I'd get a royal hiding trying to keep up with them on many a ride... BUT the game needs to be upped if they plan to be the next Burry or Nino. And again... that will only happen if more drive goes into XCO events.

My "issue" with XCO is my fitness. In a XCO race there's nowehere to hide. You can't hang at the back of the field and cruise along, cos then you'll get lapped sooner rather than later. (Is the rule that you're eliminated if you're lapped?).

This is especially relevant on a short course like the Slammer. That's probably the main reason why I'm not entering the race this weekend. I'd really love to do it, and I love the Slammer, but I don't want to be lapped by some super racer while I'm doing my second lap.

LOL. No contest. You win. 10 points.

For now though. Down 2.8 in 2 weeks. Something's working. And I'm on the way again!

Must be that big spade you were swinging when I saw you on the build day :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: