Demise of XCO in SA

NicoBoshoff

No, they weren't. But then neither was the XCO Masters world champs course too technical for the WORLD CHAMPS. But that got edited in sections. I mean ffs, it was World.Champs. You kinda HAVE to be technically proficient for that to work, or at least be man enough to take the B line.

You rode it?

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You rode it?

No, I didn't. Not old enough to be a master. Sub vet officially. But I know people who have, and I know that at world champs you expect a good level of technicality on the xco track. If the elites rode it 2 weeks later on the original trail and didn't complain...

As I said. Be man enough to admit that you can't ride the a line. Then go for the b line.

Come on, those are nonsensical statements. Marathon and stage events are as much mountain biking as anything else. They just present a different challenge, and over some incredibly tough terrain not just dirt roads.

But this is half the problem, manne trying to proclaim what 'mountain biking' actually is.

Technically the sport started with the Repack, which was downhill on a dirt road, but yes the sport evolved into a number of different disciplines and tech.

It's all MTB and you have a smile on your face and dirt on the tyres, then that's 'real'

What he said.

XCO will never have the numbers that XCM has - you can fit maybe 50 riders max on an XCO course before you hit saturation. World Cup XCOs have over a 100 and at least half of them walk the first technical section because it forms a choke point. XCM can host 1000 riders or more (if set off in batches).

Enough with the "my discipline is better than you discipline".

watched the xco on Saturday, was really worth going to check it out, the courses are so tight these days you can see action continuously.

years back you would see guys cross the start/finish line and they'd disappear for 45 minutes.....

XCO as it is now should really be the pinnacle for racers to aspire to......

Not old enough to be a master. Sub vet officially.

If you are a Sub Vet here in SA you are a Master internationally ... If you are over 30 you qualify as a Master - unless you decide to race in Elites.

If you are a Sub Vet here in SA you are a Master internationally ... If you are over 30 you qualify as a Master - unless you decide to race in Elites.

ROFL. No mate - I'm in NO way an elite!

So I guess I'm in Masters then... Sigh

Good thing I didn't enter Sub Vets for Saturday. Won by that machine called Nico Pfitzenmaier. No way I would have lasted 3 laps with him on my tail.

I did ride the course on Friday morning on my single speed, and it was quite awesome. Nicely technical. Bit more climbing than they had for the WP champs. Was a bit tricky on Fri though cos of the overnight rain, made the rock gardens super slippery.

Why is there no thread for the Thaba XCO? just wondering....

Sir, until a few days ago there was NO plans in place for ANY Provincial events as we had last year. Then Fritz Pienaar and I got together and organized the Burry Stander Memorial Provincial XCO Series. As I have "No position" with CGC it took some time to get it approved by CGC. The result was a huge delay in the event actually being authorized.The series will however be held the first event on Saturday 1 Feb at Thaba, #2 will be on 1st March at Monument PTA ( New Venue)#3 scheduled for THABA on 29th March and #4 back at Monument. The Provincial champs and SA Champs needs to be finalized asap but I am not in a position to give any venue details.The racing starts at 08h30 on Saturday and carries through to Juniors starting at about 12h30. There will be a"Style Competition" at the XCO venue for the DOWNHILL RIDERS....Practice for DH starts at 9am. This is NOT part of the BSS but a Demo event to showcase Downhill. Edited by Wendell

Thank you sir!! And I wish you all the best with thye XCO venture, I for one will support you!

and I can't wait for the MTB club to see life??!!

Sir, until a few days ago there was NO plans in place for ANY Provincial events as we had last year. Then Fritz Pienaar and I got together and organized the Burry Stander Memorial Provincial XCO Series. As I have "No position" with CGC it took some time to get it approved by CGC. The result was a huge delay in the event actually being authorized.The series will however be held the first event on Saturday 1 Feb at Thaba, #2 will be on 1st March at Monument PTA ( New Venue)#3 scheduled for THABA on 29th March and #4 back at Monument. The Provincial champs and SA Champs needs to be finalized asap but I am not in a position to give any venue details.The racing starts at 08h30 on Saturday and carries through to Juniors starting at about 12h30. There will be a"Style Competition" at the XCO venue for the DOWNHILL RIDERS....Practice for DH starts at 9am. This is NOT part of the BSS but a Demo event to showcase Downhill.