illegal riders on our Trails-Avainto

Richard Beswick

Yip, there are a good few "Roof Ryers" that either cut through gaps in the fence at Rietvlei, or just speed past the shop and onto the trail before any1 sees them.

CLOWNS..!!!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We live not far from Avianto in the Swartkop / Lammermoor area on a fair size smallholding. No matter how many times we replace / repair the fences in the fields, the locals cut them to use the land as a short-cut to main access routes and to cross the river etc.Short of putting up an electric fence & having 24 hr guards on-site we can't really stop this, & obviously the cops do nothing about the trespassers anyway. By and large however the traffic is harmless and understandable & is also on currently unused land, so not too much of an issue.

We then also do get quite a few weekend warriors using these routes as some nice singletrack etc, and even though they're trespassing, being that it is not marked, and if they not making a nuisance of themselves, we don't mind too much as they are "just passing through". However a month or two back, I'm in MY garden (not the fields) with the kids and a group of 5 of these guys come riding through, they then turn up my driveway (some good jeep track btw) & pass my garden. So I ask innocently, "are you guys aware that this is private land?" the response I get & in front of the kids is "F&*k You" & a few other choice words. and they carry on their way WTF??

My point is that the average biker (& human being for that matter) is generally a nice guy and will abide by the rules and "codes" (written or not), but because of A%$&holes like these that I experienced I felt like being hard-arsed and putting extreme measures in place etc. etc. however this would not really benefit anyone, so I have treated this as an isolated incident and hope it doesn't happen again.

Richard, on the other hand, your trails are clearly marked, & you guys have put in a lot of work to create an awesome venue, and there should be no excuse for trespassing, the type of guys as those I have described above will eventually spoil it for all, and if left unchecked the landowners will get gatvol, as will your staff. I fully advocate the harshest measures possible against anyone who does not have the common decency to pay for and appreciate something that is not theirs, but has been created for their use!

The current general overwhelming sense of entitlement in this country, is currently overwhelming!!

I think the yearly or monthly pass would help both the owners and the rider in this instance. The owners will be paid for the use of the track and the riders of the area will have the freedom to come and go, or pass through as they please.

Its a win win situation for both.

Edited by Jakkals77

I've just been explaining to my Agricultural Manager of gardens about the predicament I am in when riding my bike and he has found a reasonable solution to our problem.

Please see image attached

Dorpie, i can see your route also comes through the Waterworx area, which is also not for general riding (i am sure you have noticed the large fence they have put up around the facility). We negotiate a single day in the year with the managers for use in the Eqstra Spring Classic, but it takes lots of meetings, route drives etc to get it right. I have asked if we could include the land in our trails, however they have declined due to the risks of riders falling or being hit by a construction vehicle etc. So i am sure if security has not stopped you already they will in time.

So my suggestion is to change your route, ride on the road reserves etc, the area from Clinic road to end of the paved road is Avianto land, it is not a general thoroughfare road and all the properties off the road are owned by the Avianto land owners and rented out. You might see it as just riding through but where do we draw the line.

I think the yearly or monthly pass would help both the owner and the rider in this instance. The owner will be paid for the use of the track and the riders of the area will have the freedom to come and go, or pass through as they please.

Its a win win situation for both.

What price would you be prepared to pay for that yearly pass?

What price would you be prepared to pay for that yearly pass?

I don't know? Maybe R500.00 for a yearly pass.

Personally I think it is a fair price.

I am not sure R500 per annum is realistic. If you look at a place like Holla trails they charge R 1500 per annum. Ok they do have a lot more trails. Giba is R840p/a. So I recon maybe closer to R800 - R900 will be more realistic.

I am not sure R500 per annum is realistic. If you look at a place like Holla trails they charge R 1500 per annum. Ok they do have a lot more trails. Giba is R840p/a. So I recon maybe closer to R800 - R900 will be more realistic.

How many KM's of trail are there at Holla and Giba?

How many KM's of trail are there at Holla and Giba?

Not sure about Giba, from the web site it seems pretty small. Routes ranging from 5 - 12 km. Holla is a different story. They have 340 km. But a large portion of that is farm roads.

Edited by canfan

Holla is expensive as there is such a vast no. of kilometres to mark and maintain.

When you see the work they (and Giba) put in, I have absolutely no problem paying the fee.

Those cane farmers have no obligation to cut or allow trails to be cut on THEIR property.

If you ride for even one metre on their land without permission, you are trespassing.

You are not entitled to be there - and this is valid for any land-owner who chooses to allow riding on their property. They can just as easily revoke that permission and close and lock their gates.

Holla is expensive as there is such a vast no. of kilometres to mark and maintain.

Exactly! But I do think both parties, the riders and the land owner, Avianto in this case must be reasonable when looking at fees. Especially multi access or per annum fees.

Giba is R840 annual versus R40/ ride - applying the same ratio to your R30 daily fee would equate to R630 annual fee.

Exactly! But I do think both parties, the riders and the land owner, Avianto in this case must be reasonable when looking at fees. Especially multi access or per annum fees.

Absolutely - there is nothing stopping the owners from making concessions how and when they choose.