Search engine needs improvement

Gandalf

i dont know where to post this but here it goes: The search engine could use a bit of tlc. the current one is horrible, i have never found what I am looking for. i rather go to google and type in "thehubsa" along with what Im looking for, that works for me 100% of the time.

i dont know where to post this but here it goes: The search engine could use a bit of tlc. the current one is horrible, i have never found what I am looking for. i rather go to google and type in "thehubsa" along with what Im looking for, that works for me 100% of the time.

I've found it to be pretty useful. Are you sure you're setting the search category correctly?

I've found it to be pretty useful. Are you sure you're setting the search category correctly?

Yes thanks I know how it works, and still get the wrong stuff.

so using google is so much easier. I think thats why people post something that has already been posted or asked, even after saying they have searched it. To the not so average pc user (like my dad that says to me "why did you change gmail" when google changes the layout) its not so simple.

Agree with you. The search sucks. As an example, try searching for a user under the members. It returns everything that contains that name, and in no particular order.

Guest Latent Blue

I'm with you, It sucks.

The built in search engine isn't great. Like you say it is often easier to Google.

There are ways to improve the quality of results doing an advanced search, but agreed it's not user friendly for the less tech savvy.

Can you give an example of a search. E.g. Forums or Classifieds, search terms, and expected results vs. actual

There are a few things we can tweak to change the default behaviour, e.g. only search in topic titles instead of titles and posts.

Guest Latent Blue

Agree with you. The search sucks. As an example, try searching for a user under the members. It returns everything that contains that name, and in no particular order.

And searching for words in a thread title... It just returns all threads that has ever used that word anywhere...

The built in search engine isn't great. Like you say it is often easier to Google.

There are ways to improve the quality of results doing an advanced search, but agreed it's not user friendly for the less tech savvy.

Can you give an example of a search. E.g. Forums or Classifieds, search terms, and expected results vs. actual

There are a few things we can tweak to change the default behaviour, e.g. only search in topic titles instead of titles and posts.

No Problem.

but like it was mentioned above, searching for thread titles. Its been a while since I have used the search function on thehubsa, and I am not sure what threads have been combined because they were the same.

lets say I have a problem with my chain and cassette, so I'm looking for chain and cassette help, so i type in "chain cassette" select "forums", search results show 1 result "shimano 105 10spd chain life" where I expect something helpful like "the great chain/cassette/gears thread"

When i typed "thehubsa chain cassette" in google then "the great chain/cassette/gears thread" is the first result.

I hope thats a good enough example :whistling:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

It seems to me as it the search filters are broken.

If I go to bikes and search for a specific frame size, the results return all sizes.

It seems to me as it the search filters are broken.

If I go to bikes and search for a specific frame size, the results return all sizes.

If you're using mobile or Chrome that will happen. Had the same problem, used to just need to select twice and it works, now completely borked. Use Internet Explorer, works fine on there.

I think I just threw up a little...

:ph34r:

Bwahaha. You and me both. I die a little inside everytime I have to use it. :nuke: :excl: :wacko:

Bit late, but if you are searching in Google, add

site:thehubsa.co.za

after the search, and you'll only get results from this site.

Archived