Some cyclists just have a death wish !!

Sportsworld.co.za

To the idiot on a mountain bike this morning at about 9.20am coming from Sunningdale, heading straight over the traffic circle at Sandown Road beside the Engen garage/ West Coast Village.

You were so lucky that the car you undertook at the roundabout which was clearly indicating to turn left, actually saw you undertaking and managed to stop turning left in time, otherwise you were history.

It's idiots like you that give us cyclists a bad name. What you did was not only dangerous to yourself but to other road users.

To the idiot on a mountain bike this morning at about 9.20am coming from Sunningdale, heading straight over the traffic circle at Sandown Road beside the Engen garage/ West Coast Village.

You were so lucky that the car you undertook at the roundabout which was clearly indicating to turn left, actually saw you undertaking and managed to stop turning left in time, otherwise you were history.

It's idiots like you that give us cyclists a bad name. What you did was not only dangerous to yourself but to other road users.

Hectic. Im always glad when I see threads like this and its not me.

I have once or twice made STUPID decisions during commutes, but I IMMEDIATELY realize and feel k@k. just glad there were no hubbers around to note my mistakes.

There is a group in PE that I see most mornings (this group contains a well known bike shop owner) that turn into Kragga Kamma Rd from Circular Dr in PE. They often ignor the red robot. I have seen them on more than one occation driving in the middle of the 2 traffic lanes right at the point where the lanes merge into one.

Surely, they have the sense to realise that they cannot ride in the middle of two lanes when the cars in each lane are fighting to move into the single lane. One of them got hit by a car one morning (by my dentist of all people). Do you think they learnt their lesson? Of course not, they still do it.

Ironically, there is a perfectly good cycle path at that point, which some of the guys in the group do use,

Even more ironic is that the bike shop owner was on the radio some time ago discussing cycle safety and behaviour of some cyclists.

some looneys out there.saw oke without helmet coming up durban road against the 3 lanes of traffic just past tygervalley centre yesterday afternoon at about 17hoo.that was after i had to swerve to avoid hitting oke coming up eversdal road and not bothering to stop at the very red robot.

There is a group in PE that I see most mornings (this group contains a well known bike shop owner) that turn into Kragga Kamma Rd from Circular Dr in PE. They often ignor the red robot. I have seen them on more than one occation driving in the middle of the 2 traffic lanes right at the point where the lanes merge into one.

Surely, they have the sense to realise that they cannot ride in the middle of two lanes when the cars in each lane are fighting to move into the single lane. One of them got hit by a car one morning (by my dentist of all people). Do you think they learnt their lesson? Of course not, they still do it.

Ironically, there is a perfectly good cycle path at that point, which some of the guys in the group do use,

Even more ironic is that the bike shop owner was on the radio some time ago discussing cycle safety and behaviour of some cyclists.

Seen this too and can vouch for it.

Some really crazy cyclists in PE, cycle 2 or 3 abreast, etc.

Edited by sk27

It was just so obvious that the car was turning. It was positioned to go left, it was indicating to turn left and yet this guy thought he could just sail up the inside and go straight. It's amazing how liitle thought people put into keeping themselves alive sometimes.

Motorists are also having a bad day today. Sister and myself almost got wiped out three times today in a matter of 10 minutes. She also had another go at her on her way home.

It was just so obvious that the car was turning. It was positioned to go left, it was indicating to turn left and yet this guy thought he could just sail up the inside and go straight. It's amazing how liitle thought people put into keeping themselves alive sometimes.

I worked in Cape Town last year and must say there are lots of them with death wishes.

You guys must have the best cycle lanes in the country, why don't cyclists use them. I can understand the road guys, with their skinny tyres, wanting to stay off them because of the drive ways and on ramps etc, but the MTBers have no excuse.

How ironic, I did a similar moronic thing this morning (just at a robot, not at a circle), and now I have to find this thread.

Just didn't see the car indicating but luckily managed to break half-a-second before I got T-boned.

Was 100% my fault and got a deserved appropriate nasty tell-off from the driver, still feel like a real chop. :blush:

Goes to show how quickly a lapse in concentration can have nasty consequences (just glad Sportsworld.co.za wasn't around to post my Darwin moment on the hub)

Ugh. I almost pedalled myself into the obituaries last week

I was coming up John Vorster, crossing Paul Kruger Ave next tot Eagle Canyon.

I didn’t pay proper attention to the traffic signals, missed the green turning arrow and happily cycled right in front of an SUV who managed to slam on his brakes just in time

Damn I feel like a bloody idiot!