Vegetable gardens at home.

Mojoman

This is my cauliflower. But I do not inderstand the holes in the leafs. It does not look normal.

What can it be and what should I do about it?

It looks like a moth has got to them .This time of the year is the worst as most insects are coming out . I presume you don't want to use chemical the best thing is the to cover your veg with shade netting it will keep most of the insects out . Cut the leaves off aswell because the moth lays it eggs under the leave so as to keep control . The cut worm is also a big problem they attack cauliflower and cabbage , they are in the ground and usarly attack the root . fennel is plated some time in between cauliflower as it grow higher than cauliflower and moths will not attack your cauliflower as it does not like the smell .The moth will attack the tallest plant normally.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like a moth has got to them .This time of the year is the worst as most insects are coming out . I presume you don't want to use chemical the best thing is the to cover your veg with shade netting it will keep most of the insects out . Cut the leaves off aswell because the moth lays it eggs under the leave so as to keep control . The cut worm is also a big problem they attack cauliflower and cabbage , they are in the ground and usarly attack the root . fennel is plated some time in between cauliflower as it grow higher than cauliflower and moths will not attack your cauliflower as it does not like the smell .The moth will attack the tallest plant normally.

I have fennel between each row of vegies and it helps to keep the pests away and it attracts lady bugs which is a plus.

I am really stoked! I have been keeping an eye on my garden and the shoots are starting to come through! I planted most of it from seed and so far the radishes have come up as well as the spinach and tomatoes! My transplanted chilli tree and the spring onions and mint as well as the brinjal and lettuce seedlings have also survived.

Very proudly showed the fruits of my labour to my wife and we both can't wait to get that first harvest.

Need to keep an eye on the monkeys now.... So far the decoy paw paw tree seems to be working ;)

I have a cutworm problem. Any suggestions?

When you see a plant that has been eaten look around the plant you will see a small hole from where the little Bugger "cut worm" has come from.

Dig around the hole and you will find it, SQUASH the little bugger.

A bit tedious but the only way to get them.

If that fails use "Bexa dust" around the plant stems (chemical)

I have a cutworm problem. Any suggestions?

Hadeda's or dig like Mousea suggests.

Did you use you're own compost as the cutworms usually originate from there?

Hadeda's or dig like Mousea suggests.

Did you use you're own compost as the cutworms usually originate from there?

How does one stop it from being in the compost? I am busy with my first heap now.

How does one stop it from being in the compost? I am busy with my first heap now.

No stopping it, flies lay eggs in your compost causing the cutworms...it is nice and smelly and damp and hot...

When you work the compost in keep them peeled for them buggers...cKoffie moer (used ground coffee) works a treat and if you really have the energy, nightly raids. Eggshell and koffie moer mixed is also suggested as green solutions.

Carbaspray is a chemical/herbicide/poison which sorts them out quick sharp but not so green

One of my books also talks about plant collars (plant each seedling in a toilet roll holder) during the transplanting period...another way would be to note the date you have trouble this year and postpone transplanting next year by 1 week later to see if you limit the damage.

You cant they will just pop up when you least expect the little buggers.

I am really stoked! I have been keeping an eye on my garden and the shoots are starting to come through! I planted most of it from seed and so far the radishes have come up as well as the spinach and tomatoes! My transplanted chilli tree and the spring onions and mint as well as the brinjal and lettuce seedlings have also survived.

Very proudly showed the fruits of my labour to my wife and we both can't wait to get that first harvest.

Need to keep an eye on the monkeys now.... So far the decoy paw paw tree seems to be working ;)

Hi Grebs...send some pictures of the patch!

Hi Grebs...send some pictures of the patch!

Will do Ed! I'll take some tonight when I get home and post them. Very small patch at the moment. Not too much sunlight so it was a bit of a test run to see if it will work. So far so good though.

The area is about 5 x 10 meters perhaps?   I really like the square raised beds as it gives good "all round" access and even small girls can reach with scissors :-)