Vegetable gardens at home.

Mojoman

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I used homemade compost. Gonna stop using that. 

If you have seedlings coming up then use toilet paper rolls and place around the stem allowing the plant to grow thru there. I also believe coffee grounds and eggshells help.

If you have seedlings coming up then use toilet paper rolls and place around the stem allowing the plant to grow thru there. I also believe coffee grounds and eggshells help.

We go through a lot of eggs pwr week. And only drink filter coffee. All the used coffee and egg shells end up in the compost heap already. Hopefully it helps.

Don't worry bought compost can also have all sorts of hidden "freebies" lurking in it, try find some compost that someone else can recommend is decent and free from pest contamination.

The area is about 5 x 10 meters perhaps?   I really like the square raised beds as it gives good "all round" access and even small girls can reach with scissors :-)

Raised beds is the best form when planting veg that produce under ground eg: potatoes ,onions as you have a better chance of not getting rot .This allows the water to drain away from the vegetable when harvesting make sure you harvest when the vegetable is dry so when you store it thre is no water content in the vegetable gives you a longer shelf life .

Don't worry bought compost can also have all sorts of hidden "freebies" lurking in it, try find some compost that someone else can recommend is decent and free from pest contamination.

Reliance compost is very good. I have used their products and will continue to do so

I found a squirrel in my vegetable garden Yesterday........ any body with a similar problem and how did you get rid of the squirrel?  I can imagine that 1 squirrel can cause the damage of 10 rats!

I found a squirrel in my vegetable garden Yesterday........ any body with a similar problem and how did you get rid of the squirrel?  I can imagine that 1 squirrel can cause the damage of 10 rats!

Buy a full grown staffy (or something similar)... Problem should be solved :-p

Buy a full grown staffy (or something similar)... Problem should be solved :-p

LOL - yes I am sure the staffy will destroy the garden, therefor no more snacks for the squirrel and he will leave! Edited by Pappa Bear

• 3 weeks later...

Probably not much going on in Gauteng on the garden side with all the rain.

But does anyone know why the front tomato plant (which is in a container) has a darker colour than the other which is in the ground?

Is this good or bad?

Because of better worse watering/nutrients?

Thanks

post-7040-0-76784900-1416296989_thumb.jpg

Only my suspicion, but the potted plant has access to all the nutrients as they are not able to leach into the surrounding soil and the plant is happily taking it up giving it that nearly blue green look of happiness.

Probably not much going on in Gauteng on the garden side with all the rain.

But does anyone know why the front tomato plant (which is in a container) has a darker colour than the other which is in the ground?

Is this good or bad?

Because of better worse watering/nutrients?

Thanks

My tomatoes have turned white and are not looking healthy at all :(

My tomatoes have turned white and are not looking healthy at all :(

Could be fungal, but is also brought on by temperature changes...sun burnt or cold soil conditions...anyhow, better take a leaf to your plant care people to confirm so you stop the fungus if that is the problem