Vegetable gardens at home.

Mojoman

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Our stand in Mooikloof Glen is for sale if any of you gardeners are keen. PM me.

We've got roughly :

- 200 grape vines (5 varieties @ 3 years old)

- 38 Peacan Nut trees

- Blueberries (1 year old)

- 15 Kiwi plants

- 8 Peach trees

- 10 Apricot trees

- 8 Prune trees

- 6 Apple trees

- 6 Figs trees

- 12 Pomegranate trees

- 4 Orange trees

- 4 Lemon trees

- 6 Quinces

- 6 Pear trees

- Blackberries

- Rasberries

Had some figs, grapes and watermelon tonight. mmm!

post-5905-0-41325700-1391976394_thumb.jpg

When you plant the seeds, do you keep them protected/indoors until a little plant starts appearing and then move everything outside for a few days before transplanting or do you leave the box with all the planted toiletrolls outside from the outset?

Bummer, with this extreme heat today (was 38C in Somerset West), my lettuce plants just about all got nuked. I've lost 80% of them.

My spinach also took a big knock but I managed to cover them with shade cloth in time. Will see by end of week how much of my garden has survived.

I'm redoing it this winter and will include shade cloth netting in the new setup.

When you plant the seeds, do you keep them protected/indoors until a little plant starts appearing and then move everything outside for a few days before transplanting or do you leave the box with all the planted toiletrolls outside from the outset?

I keep mine outside.

my little weekend project - setup my 6m length of vertical garden space. Plan is to have greenhouse tomatoes on the bottom with a trellis in between, and then a mix of veg and herbs on the top three...I am interested to see how it works out

post-7169-0-77264800-1392624356_thumb.jpg

Looks impressive.

Just a few questions:

1. Does the gutter T into the "beds"? Won't oit leave you with one very soggy end?

2. What are the black irrigation pipes on the right?

Looks impressive.

Just a few questions:

1. Does the gutter T into the "beds"? Won't oit leave you with one very soggy end?

If I may be so bold as to make an assumption based on what I see in the picture.....

1. The gutters do not "T" into the down pipe. That white section with no shadow that looks like it might be a "T" is in fact the reflection from the gutter end plate (my assumption is based on the length of the shadow being cast on the wall by the down pipe and the position of the gutter end plate)

2. The plack irrigation pipe on the right might be just that... irrigation. Looks like there may be a few drippers or micro sprayers already installed in preparation for the big planting. The bottom of the pipe closest to the ground looks like it still needs to be connected to the hosepipe or timer.

Maybe there are drain holes already drilled in the gutters.

Stretch?

Looks impressive.

Just a few questions:

the gutter downpipe is not involved - just coincidentally at the same place. I have irrigated the whole setup, so the black irrigation pipes are providing water to 4 microjets per length. I have drilled holes at the bottom to help with drainage too

post-7169-0-76904400-1392631611_thumb.jpg

my little weekend project - setup my 6m length of vertical garden space. Plan is to have greenhouse tomatoes on the bottom with a trellis in between, and then a mix of veg and herbs on the top three...I am interested to see how it works out

What veges are you planning to plant?

What veges are you planning to plant?

not sure yet....lettuce will take at least one full row..we eat a lot of that, keen to try beans but they may need to be with the tomato trellis. peppers and spinach..any other suggestions?

herbs will be coriander, chives and whatever the wife wants

not sure yet....lettuce will take at least one full row..we eat a lot of that, keen to try beans but they may need to be with the tomato trellis. peppers and spinach..any other suggestions?

Not sure... I have been thinking about it for a bit now and I am thinking about this for mine (When I finally get it up and running.....) Spinach, tomatoes, carrots, aubergines, butternut, peas, beans, strawberries, lettuce and then potatoes and onions. All the things we eat a lot of. Going to go shopping for a lemon tree and another fruit tree of some sorts that will grow in this warm humid climate of ours. All going to have to be monkey proofed as well.

Looking forward to it though!

Keen to see how your turns out. I might put up a few gutters outside the kitchen door for herbs :thumbup:

Not sure... I have been thinking about it for a bit now and I am thinking about this for mine (When I finally get it up and running.....) Spinach, tomatoes, carrots, aubergines, butternut, peas, beans, strawberries, lettuce and then potatoes and onions. All the things we eat a lot of. Going to go shopping for a lemon tree and another fruit tree of some sorts that will grow in this warm humid climate of ours. All going to have to be monkey proofed as well.

Looking forward to it though!

Keen to see how your turns out. I might put up a few gutters outside the kitchen door for herbs :thumbup:

strawberries are a good idea. We had them in a long pot plant but they kept getting eaten by critters...and the girls would generally eat them before we could pick a bunch!

We have three lemon and lime tress we recently planted to act as screen on our boundary and provide us with plenty lemons. I am planning on planting potatoes and carrots in amongst the flowers in that raised bed in the background of my first pic

I have always wanted to be partly sustainable with my veg, but never got round to it...I think everyone is starting to feel the pinch now and it is becoming more of a necessity

on a side note, I read that cannabis is a good plant for deterring pests..might have to try that :whistling:

Awesome work so far, I have been toying with the idea and great to see the work of someone who has actually done it!

It is only shallow roots plants that do well in those gutters.

Keep the pics coming!

Are you going to use soil or go with a 'hydroponic' kind of growing medium like perlite and vermiculite?

Are those lengths of guttering not going to sag under the weight of the soil and veg?