Vegetable gardens at home.

Mojoman

Are you going to use soil or go with a 'hydroponic' kind of growing medium like perlite and vermiculite?

Are those lengths of guttering not going to sag under the weight of the soil and veg?

just soil and I have a third support for each one just in case...but it will mean I will have to undo everything almost to put it in place. It is pretty sturdy now and have soil in the bottom two already.

My business partner up in jhb has the complete water solution with a pump circulating the water and nutrients..here is a pic of his for interest/reference

post-7169-0-79426500-1392640432_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stretch

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

strawberries are a good idea. We had them in a long pot plant but they kept getting eaten by critters...and the girls would generally eat them before we could pick a bunch!

We have three lemon and lime tress we recently planted to act as screen on our boundary and provide us with plenty lemons. I am planning on planting potatoes and carrots in amongst the flowers in that raised bed in the background of my first pic

I have always wanted to be partly sustainable with my veg, but never got round to it...I think everyone is starting to feel the pinch now and it is becoming more of a necessity

on a side note, I read that cannabis is a good plant for deterring pests..might have to try that :whistling:

It makes you hungry though so you better plant LOTS of veg......

Edit: Where did you get your lime trees from?

Edited by Grebel

just soil and I have a third support for each one just in case...but it will mean I will have to undo everything almost to put it in place. It is pretty sturdy now and have soil in the bottom two already.

My business partner up in jhb has the complete water solution with a pump circulating the water and nutrients..here is a pic of his for interest/reference

post-7169-0-79426500-1392640432_thumb.jpg

My brother in law had a set up similar to that. He used 100mm PVC with the roots dangling in the plant food mix as it flowed past as well as geyser trays that had 20mm stone and vermiculite as "soil".

They produces so much lettuce and tomato! They grew it faster than they could give it away.... That way is a very efficient way of growing.

It makes you hungry though so you better plant LOTS of veg......

Edit: Where did you get your lime trees from?

not sure... my wife organised them..I think through rosehurst in pmbee

This thread inspired me, so the wife and I built a vertical garden out of a pallet.

I still have a few of these so if the first one is successful we will build some more.

It took three bags of potting soil, a bag of compost and a bunch of plants that I don't know but I am pretty chuffed with our attempt.

Will leave it at this angle for a while to allow the plants' roots to settle then I'll put it against the wall.

Next project is to build a irrigation system for the whole garden.

post-16631-0-86034300-1392645946_thumb.jpg

some pics taken the weekend

anything special you need to do for the onions? do you just plant them from a onion like you do a potato?

It took three bags of potting soil, a bag of compost and a bunch of plants that I don't know but I am pretty chuffed with our attempt.

I am just using straight compost to plant into...now you making me question my decision...oh well..time will tell ;)

I am just using straight compost to plant into...now you making me question my decision...oh well..time will tell ;)

Ja I'm not exactly dr Green Thumb, so don't question yourself just yet.

anything special you need to do for the onions? do you just plant them from a onion like you do a potato?

onions take a long time to grow. I just use packet seeds from the shop, plant them in a planting box or ice cream tub with drainage. Plant them early to settle, and when the worst of winter is over, you replant the individuals in a nice sunny patch in the garden. try to ensure that the soil is nice and loose, making it easier to grow big. try and plant in an area that you do not need to disturb often if possible.

potting soil and compost can dry out very easily. try mixing with some good topsoil as well.

potting soil and compost can dry out very easily. try mixing with some good topsoil as well.

think I am going to do that

Any advice on paotatoes and carrots?

We planted carrots but they came out all twisted and scrunched up like the soil was too hard to push through?

I heard of planting potatoes in a barrel, fill barrel with a quarter soil/compost, then as the plant grows you add more soil until the barrel is full at which point you wait a few days/weeks and then just kick the drum over and harvest.

Whats worked for you??

Any advice on paotatoes and carrots?

We planted carrots but they came out all twisted and scrunched up like the soil was too hard to push through?

I heard of planting potatoes in a barrel, fill barrel with a quarter soil/compost, then as the plant grows you add more soil until the barrel is full at which point you wait a few days/weeks and then just kick the drum over and harvest.

Whats worked for you??

yes..sounds about close...the trick with potatoes is that you need to keep on mounding soil on top and around where you planted, so you are providing space for the spuds to grow.....carrots I have only heard of not very sweet and bendy carrots...I am going to give it a bash myself but am not holding thumbs

my carrots are still going, will harvest in a couple of months so hope they come out nicely.

for the potatoes, first throw into one old tire, as it grows, stack another tire and fill with sand, compost, grass cuttings, and continue stacking till about 3-4 tires.