First Tokai MTB AGM

Vince

Please understand, I'm not dissing the Deon's and Rob's who work their asses off to get through to government. I just personally think they're suckers for punishment.

I hear you Nico and understand completely what you're saying. It become a matter of principle , speaking for myself.

When I made the (naive) decision to involve myself in this process with San Parks, I honestly had no idea that ANY process within San Parks moves so frikkin slowly. 9 months, just to get signage up on the front face of the mountain ,even though all the trails were already legal!

I can't stop now. I'm too far down the road and my wife will bloody well kill me if I bail out now. My family has put up with my moaning and whinging , meetings all over the place,helping to organise awareness rides and cutting out lucky draw numbers just because I want to give away stuff, and more!

I made a promise to myself and I haven't kept it yet.

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Please understand, I'm not dissing the Deon's and Rob's who work their asses off to get through to government. I just personally think they're suckers for punishment.

I hear you Nico and understand completely what you're saying. It become a matter of principle , speaking for myself.

When I made the (naive) decision to involve myself in this process with San Parks, I honestly had no idea that ANY process within San Parks moves so frikkin slowly. 9 months, just to get signage up on the front face of the mountain ,even though all the trails were already legal!

I can't stop now. I'm too far down the road and my wife will bloody well kill me if I bail out now. My family has put up with my moaning and whinging , meetings all over the place,helping to organise awareness rides and cutting out lucky draw numbers just because I want to give away stuff, and more!

I made a promise to myself and I haven't kept it yet.

And for this I commend, and sympathise with, you.

A lot of the problems that created this thread are as a result of an inability to self-police. (amongst other things). And yes, the vast majority would not create reckless trails. But as in most things, it's the buggers who don't think long-term that cock it up for the rest of us. All most of us want is a place to ride, and where this is heading is one less place to ride.

I lost my rather long reply to NicoBoshoff's post in the ether, but this works and is a lot less verbose.

Busy discussing the best way for the elections to be done with Kandui (Rob Vogel) Vince, Duane & Deon. 2 options, one of which should be finalized and accepted by tomorrow, hopefully.

Guest Omega Man

A lot of the problems that created this thread are as a result of an inability to self-police. (amongst other things). And yes, the vast majority would not create reckless trails. But as in most things, it's the buggers who don't think long-term that cock it up for the rest of us. All most of us want is a place to ride, and where this is heading is one less place to ride.

Erm. One of the members of Deon's committee rides the illegals more often than I do. Of course my statement is going to be labeled a personal attack blah blah blah but go take a look on Strava to see who's cocking it up for you.

Also When I was a believer in the process I didn't ride the illegals. I gave with an open hand. DJR, Myles, Deon etc will attest to this. My time. the use of my vehicle. My input. A wheelbarrow that's gone walkabout and at least 3 spades that somehow seem to disappear in the undergrowth. I've built in the PISSING rain and hail on that mountain. I remember the first build day Deon took over from Kobus. We had a build day on DH1. Gary Perkin was there with his daughter snapping pics. It was a good day filled with promise. I sat behind him in one of the bakkies chatting about the future of Tokai. I was for a very long time one of his most loyal supporters. Vince was there and scoped the line with Deon the week before. Rika was there.

Were you at that build day?

So please stop with the moral high ground bull****. It's childish. I've given more of my time, money and effort to Tokai and trail building in general than you'll give in a lifetime.

Edited by Omega Man

Sincere apologies! Just walked out of my last meeting and seeing that I'm all the way out in the Northern Suburbs I won't be able to make it in time.

It's a pity cause I really wanted to understand the bigger picture before we meet on the 18th. Apologies also for excusing myself here, but I don't have any of the guys who I know will be there's number.

Removed my post as I don't think it will take the matter any further. Good luck all!

Edited by Blackbeard

Isnt this kind enough now? All that is going to happen is one personal attack after another.

How about opening a seperate thread detailing the nominations and the process, one where we can hopefully stop throwing insults at each other.

Edited by marko35s

I will do that as soon as we have agreement on the process. Discussing it with the parties concerned and may have reached a conclusion, but do not want to post before final confirmation is given

Erm. One of the members of Deon's committee rides the illegals more often than I do. Of course my statement is going to be labeled a personal attack blah blah blah but go take a look on Strava to see who's cocking it up for you.

Also When I was a believer in the process I didn't ride the illegals. I gave with an open hand. DJR, Myles, Deon etc will attest to this. My time. the use of my vehicle. My input. A wheelbarrow that's gone walkabout and at least 3 spades that somehow seem to disappear in the undergrowth. I've built in the PISSING rain and hail on that mountain. I remember the first build day Deon took over from Kobus. We had a build day on DH1. Gary Perkin was there with his daughter snapping pics. It was a good day filled with promise. I sat behind him in one of the bakkies chatting about the future of Tokai. I was for a very long time one of his most loyal supporters. Vince was there and scoped the line with Deon the week before. Rika was there.

So please stop with the moral high ground bull****. It's childish. I've given more of my time, money and effort to Tokai and trail building in general than you'll give in a lifetime.

Let me be very clear, Omega, if you had anything to do with the trails at Tokai, you have my gratitude. I love them, although I don't have the skills for the downhill ones. Nowhere in my statement did I make any attempt to belittle you or any of your friends' work, dedication or passion.

And nor do I claim to have any moral high ground in the matter either, and neither did I make any statement about you riding the illegal trails, nor being party to any of the illegal riding of Deon's fellow committee member. If that person is doing it, and is involved in this discussion then he is a hypocrite.

What I do care about is me and my mates riding at Tokai. Just like you and yours. And just like you and your guys "stuck to your statements" earlier in this thread, I stick to my statement that guys who think short term and act impulsively are going to risk us being able to be there at all. And as my statement was a reply to another Hubber, who actually thought we should give up Tokai as a bad job, and only use the jeep track, I think it is perfectly reasonable for me to view that as a potential outcome of this, if it is not sorted out.

I don't think that is childish. To me it is common sense.

Guest OldFlow

Can I bring beer to the agm?

You can bring beer to Night Harvest!

Guest OldFlow

Edited by OldFlow

Guest OldFlow

So who drank beers and who threw toys ?

We all drank beer, had some frank, open and serious discussions. We also laughed a lot, drank more beer (some nice craft beer on offer....), spoke bikes, trails and generally had a good time..... Noone threw toys but a number of new friendships were struck....

I really am sorry that DJR was the only one that turned up. I think this could have been a very positive get-together for all of the more vociferous peeps in this thread...

HI All,

It has been decided, in conjunction with Meurant Botha of AMARider, Rob Vogel of Table Mountain Bikers (partner in the larger Table Mountain Mountain Bikers Forum) Deon De Villiers (Chairman of Tokai MTB) Vince Muir, Richard Lord, Duane Bosch (members of the Interested and Affected Parties) & Myself (Vice Chair of Tokai MTB) that the nomination and voting process shall be as described below:

- Interested parties will nominate their individual choice of 5 committee members WITHOUT portfolio selection, and send such nomination through to info@amarider.co.za BEFORE 17th FEBRUARY 17h00

- Shortlist of Nominees shall be shown at entry to the Chrysalis Academy, and a copy of the nominations list shall be handed to each attendee together with a brief bio of each Nominee

- Each Nominee shall get a 2 minute window in which to justify their nomination to the Committee WITHOUT INTERRUPTIONS from the attendees

- Attendees shall vote amongst themselves to for the 5 Nominees that they feel will represent them best, and be able to deal with PARKS (the main Stakeholder) as well as the MTB public.

- The 5 Nominees who have the most amount of votes will form the EXCO (Executive Committee.

- The EXCO shall thereafter determine how best to distribute the individual portfolios amongst themselves given each persons skillset, characteristics and strengths, at their first EXCO meeting.

- The EXCO shall nominate the Chairman and Vice Chairman from the 5 EXCO members given the unique requirements of each position at the first EXCO meeting

Note - The public will NOT be selecting individual persons for particular roles within the EXCO. This will be the role of the EXCO itself once the EXCO has been formed, and the strengths and weaknesses of each EXCO member have been assessed.

If need be, the EXCO will nominate a Co-Opt member to make up any deficit in skills and / or expertise within the EXCO. This Co-Opt member will be a non-voting member of the committee, and will consult as an independent member as and when the EXCO deem necessary.

The roles that persons within the EXCO will fill are:

Public Relations

Secretary

Treasurer

Parks Liaison

Fund Raising

DH / Gravity Rep

All Mountain / Cross Country / Trail Rep

The roles are able to be doubled up. For example, the EXCO member holding the position of PR officer may also be Parks Liaison and Chairman, or Secretary may also be Treasurer and DH Rep etc. etc.

Unfortunately, given the sensitive nature of the elections process, it has been agreed that there will be no allowance for Proxy Votes. If a member of the public wishes to vote on the make-up of the committee, they MUST be present at the AGM on 18th February 2014.

Please ensure that this is spread as far as is possible in order to ensure adequate representation for all members of the public who are not members of this forum, Twitter and Facebook. A copy of this notice will be posted at the majority of Local Bike Shops in order to ensure adequate circulation.

We all drank beer, had some frank, open and serious discussions. We also laughed a lot, drank more beer (some nice craft beer on offer....), spoke bikes, trails and generally had a good time..... Noone threw toys but a number of new friendships were struck....

I really am sorry that DJR was the only one that turned up. I think this could have been a very positive get-together for all of the more vociferous peeps in this thread...

Actually sad I couldn't make it. There were still a few misconceptions that needed to be put straight. And yes, I did eventually want to go. But baby duty is baby duty.