99er crash out

ajbotes

First time the 99er went over the gravel section but not the first time it was used in a race.

Neutralising the race at the gravel section is not practical ... not every single bunch has a leadout car or race official.

Neutralising the first couple ok km's to get out of town safely also never works, no one listens to that "suggestion"!

#HTFU ... comes to mind.

All good and well to say HTFU to and Elite/ Pro racer, but theres a time a place. HTFU when your legs are burning and your lung are bursting - fine. I wouldnt be saying that to that to a fun rider, thrown onto an unsuitable surface for his skill / experience level, who then crashes and sues the organizer for what could be argued (by the number of crashes and injuries) as an inappropriate route.

Again, my two cents

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think common sense is/was required in situations like these. If you feel out of your depth when facing an obstacle/challenging section, just back off a bit and do it in your own time and space.

I was riding with a group containing a few C's, but mostly D and a few E's that had caught up by that point. On the section of the gravel road, before the water point, everyone started raising their hands and shouting to the other cyclists to slow down as there was a huge bunch of people who had fallen over (not crashed). They were slow speed wipe outs due to rider error. No one was hurt, aside from bruised egos.

I simply (slowly) made my way through the pileup and made my way to the end of the gravel road without any incidents. Then I had a bit of catching up to do back on the tar, but it was fine and I still managed to finish in the top half of my starting group (D).

Having done a lot of mountain biking (which obviously helps with bike handling skills), it really is a case of treating "obstacles" with respect.

I do agree that some more warning could've been provided (for less experienced riders), but I don't think any one taking part in yesterday's race wasn't aware that there was a gravel road that you would have to contend with.

Maybe at registration (number collection), an additional printout with exactly what distance the gravel road was at in the route and a few tips (as suggested previously), may have helped.

At the end of the day, it is a race (fun ride) and you need to take responsibility for your own actions.

All good and well to say HTFU to and Elite/ Pro racer, but theres a time a place. HTFU when your legs are burning and your lung are bursting - fine. I wouldnt be saying that to that to a fun rider, thrown onto an unsuitable surface for his skill / experience level, who then crashes and sues the organizer for what could be argued (by the number of crashes and injuries) as an inappropriate route.

Again, my two cents

Up to now I have not seen one reply that anyone were unaware that there was going to be a gravel section. That was made pretty clear by the organisers. They also did not promise a silky smooth almost tar like gravel section now did they?

Was anyone forced to enter this race?

No one was allowed to get off their bikes and walk the gravel section because there were officials with whips next to the road forcing people to stay on their bikes, right?

No one was allowed to slow down and ride carefully though the gravel because you whould get whipped for looking down and thinking about touching your brakes, right?

That little terms and conditions box that you ticked and agreed to when entering, without reading (like we all do), means you wont be able to sue the organisers for any damages or loss.

If #HTFU sounds to harsh ... let me put it another way ... this time with a second option.

#HTFU or #STFU (shut)

Edited by Tankman

I understand that the gravel was a contentious issue and I would probably have felt different if I'd come down. Regarding the route - van schoorsdrif is the only other suitable route to the finish and that road is in such a bad state of repair that it couldn't be used (whole road surface has disintigrated over a far longer distance than the 2km gravel of malanshoogte).

Regarding the gravel - it would probably have been wise for the organisers to have briefed riders on the start line to

a: keep a suitable gap between yourselves an other riders on the gravel

b: keep your speed under control to reduce the need to brake

c: keep your weight back to reduce the risk of your front wheel getting bogged down in loose sand.

That said, we shouldn't be scared of improving our bike handling skills as it reduces the risk of crashing in a host of circumstances.

Good point, Rapunzel.

d. Avoid using front wheel brakes on the gravel.

Anyone remember that gravel patch on the link rd from R44 to Voorpaardeberg Prison road.

That was rof and a real surprise at high speed.

Up to know I have not seen one reply that someone were unaware that there was going to be a gravel section. That was made pretty clear by the organisers. They also did not promise a silky smooth almost tar like gravel section now did they?

Was anyone forced to enter this race?

Was no one allowed to get off their bikes and walk the gravel section or were there officials with whips next to the road forcing people to stay on their bikes?

Where no one allowed to slow down and ride carefully though the gravel or where you whipped just when you looked down to touch your brakes?

That little terms and conditions box that you ticked and agreed to when entering, without reading like we all do, means you wont be able to sue the organisers for any damages or loss.

If #HTFU sounds to harsh ... let me put it another way ... this time with a second option.

#HTFU or #STFU (shut)

Wow thanks for clearing that up acronym up for me, i would never have guessed.

Clearly you cant have a constructive debate where people can air their views in a respectful manner. Its argumentative idiots like you that make forums unpleasant. I'm not going to argue the merits of my opinion with you. But I will say this, I think you're an arse! You are clearly a tough guy with a huge c#ck and cant think outside of your tough guy box. All we doing here is throwing out suggestions about how we can improve things (rightly or wrongly), and you come in telling people to HTFU or STFU.

Good luck to you in your tough guy world.

I'm out.......

Easy with the handbag slinging now...

Name calling is uncool.

Bottom line:

The route had a short technical section and it saw a few crashes and many technicals.

Ironically, it appears many more severe crashes happened on the tarmac.

The Worcester race has had a gravel section for years and collar bones have been broken there and elsewhere.

Just heard from my bud, there was someone actually worse off than them. He said this guy looked serious, he didn't move , and that he was barely conscious..... Heal up rider

His dad road with us in the sweeper vehicle back to the start, they took him straight to hospital in Paarl.

I think the gravel section was the highlight of the race for me. It's another war story to share with mates on our next coffee shop Sunday ride.

Don't know why all the hostility about this... I crapped myself coming through some sand, got into a 'tank slapper' and got really sideways, but it was a jol. My beginner friends on mtb ' s just rode straight through. It all depended on your line and how late you got through, I suspect. Merits to HTFUing and for just chilling. Yours, Ban Ki Moon

Edited by Thor Buttox

I am with tankman here. I do not like riding on the gravel with my roadbike., so I did not enter this year. Everybody who entered knew there was a gravel road and they decided to ride it. If you have the skill, good for you. If you dont, practise for next year or stay at home like me.

By the sounds of it the WPPPA will soon have to table a motion to tar all the single track in the Western Cape. Just in case.....

The gravel was a point of debate well before the race. Large sections of the Giro d Italia ext are or were gravel. Paris Roubaix gets its appeal fro cobble stones and gravel. To argue that gravel road is not part of road cycling is to be naïve. Only in South Africa it seems that our government has laid on all these tar road for the exclusive use of roadies. Sad fact is that there is actually more gravel road than tar in South Africa and it is simply short sighted to not include some into road races.

this is the next grip, there are actually "Mtb" races that are exclusively on hard pack gravel roads............

If you don't want to chip your carbon frame, then use your steel beater bike for that race. Oops, you guys don't have a decent commuting bike, because you only "race".......

By the sounds of it the WPPPA will soon have to table a motion to tar all the single track in the Western Cape. Just in case.....

The gravel was a point of debate well before the race. Large sections of the Giro d Italia ext are or were gravel. Paris Roubaix gets its appeal fro cobble stones and gravel. To argue that gravel road is not part of road cycling is to be naïve. Only in South Africa it seems that our government has laid on all these tar road for the exclusive use of roadies. Sad fact is that there is actually more gravel road than tar in South Africa and it is simply short sighted to not include some into road races.

this is the next grip, there are actually "Mtb" races that are exclusively on hard pack gravel roads............

If you don't want to chip your carbon frame, then use your steel beater bike for that race. Oops, you guys don't have a decent commuting bike, because you only "race".......

Moot point. Those okes are being paid to ride there, and then on SPONSORED equipment, not stuff bought with the fruits of your sweat.

So glad I decided well in advance not to enter, because of this gravel section.

I spent my Saturday enjoying the Argus route. I guess, I made the better choice. i would have definitely seen my ass on that gravel. I can't even stay on my mtb when it comes to gravel.... :blush: