Fox fork - stancion scratches

martinsnyman

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of... It's time for me to do a full service on my Betty. Pivots, bearings, suspension.

This weekend, maybe.

Love spending time on my bike. Much easier to do when its raining outside. And the feeling you get when you ride it again, and everything works perfectly.

Love spending time on my bike. Much easier to do when its raining outside. And the feeling you get when you ride it again, and everything works perfectly.

33 predicted for Saturday. Guess the bike's going to be dirty for another few days.

Here is a pictur of the scratches

Do you wipe down your fork before/after each ride?

The maintenance of the lowers seems to be critical with Fox and once you get the hang of it you can do it easily in 20 minutes.

I have 2 fox forks that have not needed any service and both have done 100h plus .I do 2 things every weekend .Wash the stanchions properly and chain wash .I also ride them pretty hard so the movement is probably less also

I have 2 fox forks that have not needed any service and both have done 100h plus .I do 2 things every weekend .Wash the stanchions properly and chain wash .I also ride them pretty hard so the movement is probably less also

The problem is that the scratches can be below the dust wipers on the stanchion tube. So you cant see it overtly until you take it for a service and get a nasty phone call.

Rather just do the maintenance, it works out much cheaper in the end.

Oeps best option to go for a new/replacement fork. Should you again fit Fox, do yourself a favour and replace the standard fox seals with Enduro.

Where can one get hold of these?

Where can one get hold of these?

Rush sports or your LBS.Try David Marshall at Spoke and Spanner, he's pretty close to you and should have some stock.

They don't offer a significant advantage over the Fox seals wrt stanchion wear though, but they are slightly lower friction.

Rush sports or your LBS.Try David Marshall at Spoke and Spanner, he's pretty close to you and should have some stock.

They don't offer a significant advantage over the Fox seals wrt stanchion wear though, but they are slightly lower friction.

Thanks droo

Thank you - will contact them

• 2 weeks later...

The same thing has happened to my rock shox sid. Scratching on the stanchion. Is the rock shox just as expensive to fix as the fox? I know of someone who's fox fork did the same as yours. I dont know the details but he sent it back to fox and got a new one, but it happened again. He sent it back again and fox resprayed it with a stronger paint coating. No hassels since

What bothers me with this is why can't Fox see that their forks has a flaw and make a plan to resolve the issue? Surely you can't expect to buy a fork for 4-8k and then have to replace the seals?

What bothers me with this is why can't Fox see that their forks has a flaw and make a plan to resolve the issue? Surely you can't expect to buy a fork for 4-8k and then have to replace the seals?

Seals are cheap and "consumable". Do a lowers service every 25-30 hours and your fork will last forever.

I have learned to do mine and it takes minutes every month or 2.....I replace the seals on my fork once a year when it goes for the damper cartridge service.

Seals are cheap and "consumable". Do a lowers service every 25-30 hours and your fork will last forever.

I have learned to do mine and it takes minutes every month or 2.....I replace the seals on my fork once a year when it goes for the damper cartridge service.

Do you replace the oil at the same time you replace the seals?

The same thing has happened to my rock shox sid. Scratching on the stanchion. Is the rock shox just as expensive to fix as the fox? I know of someone who's fox fork did the same as yours. I dont know the details but he sent it back to fox and got a new one, but it happened again. He sent it back again and fox resprayed it with a stronger paint coating. No hassels since

Hi, have not taken the fork to my lbs yet - will do tomorrow and see what fox has to say, hoping for the best!