[Event] Bay City Cycle Tour

DMC007

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I burn my ppa road number now that this race is over.

I don't expect to anytime soon see as good a seeding as I've had this year, so, I'm keeping mine to just look at! :D

Very good race. I did not race last week due to a bad cold. Started in I-J.

Felt good on the bike, even with the wind factor. Descending from Smitswinkel was a bit nervous due to traffic and other cyclists on the road. When I started the race, I saw I left my racetec chip at home! Now have to phone them up on Monday and ask if they will accept my Garmin details. Marshalling was very good the entire race.

Had great fun today, especially after getting used to being dropped in the first 20km in the league races. Didn't bother to upgrade my number for one last race so started 2 groups back in E. Group splitted on OKW and we joined up with some C,D stragglers after Slangkop.

At the long rise after Redhill I felt a bit adventurous and put the hammer down, to my surprise nobody followed but I fully expected to fizzle out like a cheap cracker and be caught on or just after Smitswinkel. However the wind at the back helped to keep some distance between me & group. At the Boyes Drive climbs I had that sinking feeling as I saw the chasing group creaping up slowly but somehow I managed to stay ahead for the last 10km. So legend in my own lunchtime & first time I finished at the front of an alphabet soup group!

Edited by Skubarra

Had great fun today, especially after getting used to being dropped in the first 20km in the league races. Didn't bother to upgrade my number for one last race so started 2 groups back in E. Group splitted on OKW and we joined up with some C,D stragglers after Slangkop.

At the long rise after Redhill I felt a bit adventurous and put the hammer down, to my surprise nobody followed but I fully expected to fizzle out like a cheap cracker and be caught on or just after Smitswinkel. However the wind at the back helped to keep some distance between me & group. at the Boyes Drive climbs I had that sinking feeling as I saw the chasing group creaping up slowly but somehow I managed to stay ahead for the last 10km. So legend in my own lunchtime & first time I finished at the front of an alphabet soup group!

well done Skubarra, clearly you boxing in the wrong weight category then :-) poor okes in E...not!

the event was better managed than the rollercoaster. i did'nt do the roller coaster but i cycled the route on the day of the race and the performance of traffic police and marshalls was not what we have come to expect from PPA, but the bayside was a lot better. apart from the wind it was a nice race.

just a quick question, will the wind be taken into account when considering the difficulty level?

I also just want to give credit where credit's due and say well done to the organisers and thanks to all the marshals for a well managed race!

It's a tough race with a route through some very touristy areas, so it's always going to be a difficult one to manage, but as someone else said, it makes a very nice change from all those Stellies/Durbanville routes. :)

I would also just like to say thanks to all the league riders who stayed away today and gave me a chance to stay with my bunch and not have to pull over on the side of the road to have a little cry after 40km. ;)

I almost got taken out in Fish Hoek by an old woman driving on the main road from the opposite direction who turned in front of me. I slammed on brakes and she eventually saw me and stopped within a half metre of me. I certainly can't blame the marshal as he was doing his job stopping the cars coming out of the side street. It wouldn't surprise me if she had the attitude that was mentioned in this post.

I did battle quite a bit, especially with the wind and bike issues, but it was a good well organised race which I will certainly do again.

Started in IJ as well due to coming back from injury. Brilliant race. Excellent marshall visibility. Tx to the organisers and tx to the guys that worked with me.

the event was better managed than the rollercoaster. i did'nt do the roller coaster but i cycled the route on the day of the race and the performance of traffic police and marshalls was not what we have come to expect from PPA, but the bayside was a lot better. apart from the wind it was a nice race.

just a quick question, will the wind be taken into account when considering the difficulty level?

What you have to remeber is that most of the top guys where not at this race, They where doing the crit a bit later. So although the conditions where tough the winners time also needs to be adjusted.

It was well organised and marshalled. A tough course and windy conditions for a tandem, and we struggled a bit, largely only having use of a 56 chainring and very minimal use of a 42 that has most of the teeth missing (awaiting spares), but we did ok. Finished in 2:46 which we were happy with.

It was well organised and marshalled. A tough course and windy conditions for a tandem, and we struggled a bit, largely only having use of a 56 chainring and very minimal use of a 42 that has most of the teeth missing (awaiting spares), but we did ok. Finished in 2:46 which we were happy with.

........And there I was feeling sympathy for you......until I saw your time ;)

Guest Frail4Life

Should have told me!

I Only use my Big blade, I have no Use for the small one, happens to be a 42.

i was out cycling this day and some of the lead groups came past me (opp Direction ) through smiths winkel ... emmm i saw a lady yelling at another guy who over took crap down smithswinkel. she shouted quite loudly :whistling:

also an agro drive who looked like he wanted to run over a bunch .. guy was driving a renault ( maroon in color with a window missing ( rear ). :cursing:

also while i was finishing up my ride in wynberg main road another rider asked me where is the finish line, i think he missed the turn at kalk bay.

Should have told me!

I Only use my Big blade, I have no Use for the small one, happens to be a 42.

Thanks David, I'll take it ! :D

Seriously though, it's on order and just can't wait to get a new 42. Old one allows the chain to slip on tension and we can't ride out the saddle with it. It even slips sitting down.Too scared the chain breaks !

We broke away from the start with two other tandems and got to the base of Ou Kaaps with them, then had to let them go while we found the best gear we could, and then sat in and ground away at it at, around 12/13kmh all the way up. We knew beforehand that this was what we had to do, so the mental prep was there already !

Same story for Kommetjie, but there at least we could put in some out of saddle efforts.

The leading two tandems finished 2H22 and we got caught by a mixed tandem just before Smits and rode all the way with them until Boyes, where we again knew we would struggle, and we finished 2min behind them. Rolled in as the 2nd mixed tandem which made my stoker very happy :-)