[Event] Bay City Cycle Tour

DMC007

Well organised and fun race so big thanks to all the back-room staff and Marshalls.

Still don't understand the mentality of those occasional idiots who insist on overtaking on my left when I'm well inside the yellow line anyway - don't they realise that for us old farts its an unnerving experience being elbowed out into the bunch/passing traffic ??

On a slightly technical issue given the fact that the Bay City Tour is 25kms shorter than The Argus but includes OKW. Boyes Drive. Slangkop and Smitswinkel but doesn't include Edinburgh Drive. Chappies or Suikerbosse....

Given similar wind conditions on March 9th coupled with the huge atmosphere of this extraordinary event could I reasonably hope for a 10% increase in my average speed ?

Seems like a big jump to me in terms of performance on the day but I'll need it to beat a challenge....

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On a slightly technical issue given the fact that the Bay City Tour is 25kms shorter than The Argus but includes OKW. Boyes Drive. Slangkop and Smitswinkel but doesn't include Edinburgh Drive. Chappies or Suikerbosse....

Given similar wind conditions on March 9th coupled with the huge atmosphere of this extraordinary event could I reasonably hope for a 10% increase in my average speed ?

Seems like a big jump to me in terms of performance on the day but I'll need it to beat a challenge....

Same conditions ........ I would expect a similar average speed on Argus day.

But........ for a guy in the first half of the field, I think that Argus day will offer more opportunities to wheel suck and get your average speed up a bit. A 10% improvement is possible but quite a big difference. You'll have to play your cards right by starting in the very front of your block and riding smart all the way to the finish.

Further down the field there is little chance of finding a good bunch to work together and pull you along......that 10% increase is going to take a lot more hard work.

Edit: I have used the South Peninsula races over the last couple of years to predict what my kids could do on Argus day (so as to pace them) and they always came up with similar average speeds. I think wind and heat on the day play a much bigger role.

Edited by DJR

Thanks for your response DJR, its sort of what I expected but I'll definitely take your advice and work my way to the front of my chute.

As a result of much harder training these passed six months, my average speeds have increased by over 10% since last year but have remained fairly consistent since Die Burger, the 99er, Medallion and the last two Peninsular events.

Although I'm not sure what else I can do training-wise with only 12 days to go, was hoping that the crowds, the atmosphere and the excitement, coupled with a huge dose of the True Grit spirit on the day itself, might just magically combine to lift my average speed enough to deliver the result that I'm looking for.

Wind and heat play can make a massive difference as you rightly said, and I guess the absence of both could play a significant psychological role as well.

Guess I'm in the lap of the Gods on that one...but any other pearls of wisdom, training tips and general advice would be gratefully appreciated....

Well organised and fun race so big thanks to all the back-room staff and Marshalls.

Still don't understand the mentality of those occasional idiots who insist on overtaking on my left when I'm well inside the yellow line anyway - don't they realise that for us old farts its an unnerving experience being elbowed out into the bunch/passing traffic ??

This race for me was tougher than Argus, in terms of more climbs and the wind. My average speed was lower than last years Argus.

I was happy with the way the race was managed. Well done and thanks to all involved. I managed to finish in 2:52, what do you think a reasonable expectation would be for the argus? Im starting in L @ 6:47.

I was happy with the way the race was managed. Well done and thanks to all involved. I managed to finish in 2:52, what do you think a reasonable expectation would be for the argus? Im starting in L @ 6:47.

3h35 to 3h40? Let me know afterwards how close I came in my prediction.

3:20 to 3:25 fairly easily if the weather isn't a storm.

DJR.

I see what you're doing here with your 3.35/ 3.40 prediction:

172(mins) ÷ 84 (kms) x 109(kms) = 223 minutes or 3hrs 43mins

And you've allowed him and 'extra' 3-8 minute bonus for that special "Argus' factor.

But is that really all he can reasonably expect ?

Please tell me that some riders do in fact get an extra 'kick' from somewhere and perform better on Argus day than they do in other events.....

Edited by 3wings

I see what you're doing here:

172(mins) ÷ 84 (kms) x 109(kms) = 223 minutes or 3hrs 43mins

And you've allowed him and 'extra' 3-8 minute bonus for that special "Argus' factor.

But is that really all he can reasonably expect ?

Please tell me that some riders do in fact get an extra 'kick' from somewhere and perform better on Argus day than they do in other events.....

Nope :) I did 2:44 on Sunday (but I have been ill) and did 3:10 for Argus last year. And two years ago when Bay City was last run, I did 2:40 and did 3:29 for the Argus when it included Boyes.

Nope :) I did 2:44 on Sunday (but I have been ill) and did 3:10 for Argus last year. And two years ago when Bay City was last run, I did 2:40 and did 3:29 for the Argus when it included Boyes.

Thanks dude, your stats are proving my point - cyclists do perform better on Argus day.

Yey :clap:!!

You must have finished very close to us, or at least the same time :P

Thanks dude, your stats are proving my point - cyclists do perform better on Argus day.

I averaged about 2km/h slower for both this race and the Roller Coaster than I did for the Argus last year, even though I'm much more fitter now - so I think 10% faster on the Argus is doable if your group & weather plays along..

3h35 to 3h40? Let me know afterwards how close I came in my prediction.

What about 99er to Argus? Similar elevation, Seeding was done for the day (Should be more accurate) I improved 7km/h from last 99er to this one, so hoping for a similar gain in Argus :P

I averaged about 2km/h slower for both this race and the Roller Coaster than I did for the Argus last year, even though I'm much more fitter now - so I think 10% faster on the Argus is doable if your group & weather plays along..

Only 2kph slower? Pffft... mine was 4kph. Oh gees, I hope my legs come back in two weeks.

I am counting on it... :eek: my last three races have been a total debacle!

There must be a special 'Argus day' factor that makes us perform so much better than usual....there just has to be.....?

No traffic to worry about - the open road all to ourselves for a magical few hours - the atmosphere - the crowds - all that positive energy....

So either we slow down to savour the experience and take it all in - or we crank it up a gear and let the occasion somehow carry us forward to achieve our personal best.

Maybe its similar to the home-team effect, except that on Argus day the crowd makes us feel like we're all playing for the home team - that's gotta add up to something - surely ??

Edited by 3wings