[Event] MTN National MTB Series #3 Tulbagh Driven By Nissan

WesselvdWalt

Event Name: MTN National MTB Series #3 Tulbagh Driven By Nissan
When: 15 March 2014
Where: Saronsberg wine estate, Tulbagh, Western Cape, Western Cape
Category: MTB

Only an hour and a half from Cape Town, lies the Saronsberg wine estate, nestled in the magnificent scenic beauty of the Saronsberg Valley. Tulbagh is a charismatic town, renowned for its rich history, fine wines and Cape Dutch Architecture. Tulbagh offers visitors a wide variety of activities and outstanding accommodation, not to mention the largest concentration of National Monuments in one street in South Africa. Be sure to take in the Cape beauty while visiting one of the many wine estates in the area or take the time to appreciate the wealth of local artistic talent that the small town has to offer. Tulbagh is also the host to stages of the 2013 Absa Cape Epic, so needless to say, there are an abundance of breathtaking mountain bike trails that are sure to challenge even the most adventurous.

ROUTE DESCRIPTIONS Ultra XCM -110km (others to follow shortly, will be similar in nature but shorter in distance)

The route makes the best of the Saronsberg valley by completing a full anti clock-wise loop around the town of Tulbagh.

But don’t be fooled by the route map, although the trail does not venture out of the valley, there are some challenging climbs and technical single tracks to test riders skills as well as stamina.

As the riders hug the base of the magnificent Saronsberg Mountains, they may be tempted to stop and admire the scenery. The route winds its way around cool farm dams, between luscious green vineyards and along rocky mountain tracks edged with indigenous fynbos and proteas.

RIDING TIMES

• 110km: 5h00min – 8 hours
  • 70km: 3 – 6 hours
  • 45km: 2 – 4 hours
  • 110km has a cut-off at the finish of 9hours.

PROGRAMME

Saturday: 110km MTN Ultra PRO/Elite – 07:30am Saturday: 70km MTN Marahton - Elite ladies - 07:40am Saturday: 70km MTN Marathon XCM – 08:00am Batch "A" + 5min Saturday: 45km NISSAN 1/2 XCM – 08:35am Batch "A" + 5min Saturday: 20km Fun Race - 09:15am Batch "A"

Go to Event Page

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

why did they have to make this the weekend before the Epic?

Wwould of loved to have done the 110km but want to make sure i am well rested for the next weekend!

This was my favorite MTB race of last season, very bummed to be missing it this year, I found the trails to be quite amazing!

Agree 100% What a great race, but with all the training in the lead-up to the Argus I've got no bonus points left with the family, didn't even bother asking the wife...

Hey Guys!

Please tell your friends, cousins, sisters, aunties, bff's and everyone to come support this race.. If I don't make target this year I have to cann it for 2015... which means NO CAPE EVENTS :(

Week before epic is a great last workout checking everything is in good nic for the Epic... we have lots of big names who are taking part who are also doing the epic ;)

Hey Guys!

Please tell your friends, cousins, sisters, aunties, bff's and everyone to come support this race.. If I don't make target this year I have to cann it for 2015... which means NO CAPE EVENTS :(

Week before epic is a great last workout checking everything is in good nic for the Epic... we have lots of big names who are taking part who are also doing the epic ;)

1 week is too close to Epic......should have been two weeks before Argus MTB.......or Post Epic!

Just entered, time for this upcountry rider to enjoy some of these Cape trails that I keep hearing about. So, my wine guzzling cousins what can I expect from this race?

a *** off session of note that's if you are entering the Ultra & not riding within your limits, I'm back this time again to get revenge on the Ultra.

a *** off session of note that's if you are entering the Ultra & not riding within your limits, I'm back this time again to get revenge on the Ultra.

Fortunately, doing the marathon but looking at the rain at Sabie this weekend I'm not sure which race worries me more!

Hey Guys!

2013 was a blur for me so I cant remember much, is the route going to be the same & does it have steep rocky descends?

It was no blur for me. I remember every single minute of pain!!! :)

are you going 1x10, rigid for this one? Considering using my same setup for Atta which was 1x10 (36t) & rigid, but suffered on the rocky downhills, so need to know What I'm getting here at Tulbagh.

What crank are you running? I have 2X36 tooth chainrings. One is a direct mount for GXP and the other is a normal BCD for a Sram. I bought them and they are not going to work for me. Not new but very nice shape. If you are interested let me know and I will bring them to the race. We can talk if you may be keen. :whistling:

XT crank with a 36t Chain ring 104BCD, thanks but i'm looking for a 32t myself, i see evo has in stock again shot their prices up.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know how this race is timed? Cannot find any information on it. I know SASeeding has something to do with race chips but can't find any details on their website either.

Does anyone know how this race is timed? Cannot find any information on it. I know SASeeding has something to do with race chips but can't find any details on their website either.

manual