Tour of Oman

jcza

Preview from Peletonwatch

The Tour of Oman marks the final of the three main races in the Middle East and with it comes the high mountains that were absent in Dubai and Qatar. Now in its 5th edition the six stage race lacks a time trial, though includes a summit finish on Green Mountain on stage 5. Of the other five three are suited to the sprinters with the remaining two suited to puncheurs/classics riders.

Stage 1

Features the al Rustaq climb in the first half but a long descent and a flat finish should see the sprinters fight it out for the first leaders jersey.

Names to watch: Ben Swift, Alexander Kristoff, Peter Sagan, Tom Boonen, Andre Greipel, Jetse Bol, Barry Markus, Danielle Bennati, Nacer Bouhanni, Leigh Howard, Heinrich Haussler, Michael Van Staeyen and Sam Bennet.

Stage 2

Similar to stage one that is likely to again finish in a bunch sprint.

Names to watch: Ben Swift, Alexander Kristoff, Peter Sagan, Tom Boonen, Andre Greipel, Jetse Bol, Barry Markus, Danielle Bennati, Nacer Bouhanni, Leigh Howard, Heinrich Haussler, Michael Van Staeyen and Sam Bennet.

Stage 3

A much harder stage with two climbs in the final 25 kilometres. First is the Al Hamriya before the climb of Al Jissah at around 9% that finishes just over 6km from the finish. It is the same finish as last year that saw an elite group escape off the front that included Peter Sagan who attacked and won the stage solo. Overall winner Chris Froome managed to gain a few seconds advantage over the other contenders. With the final climb coming so close to the finish expect to see a similar situation to last year with attacks on the final climb.

Names to watch: Chris Froome, Joaqium Rodriguez, Vincenzo Nibali, Maxim Islinskiy, Francesco Gavazzi, Fabian Cancellara, Peter Sagan, Oscar Gatto, Philippe Gilbert, Dominik Nerz, Greg van Avermaet, Tom Boonen, Zdenek Stybar, Lars Boom, Matti Breschel Leopold Konig, Daryl Impey, Michael Albasini, Cameron Meyer and Mathias Frank.

Stage 4

Another hilly day with four climbs in the closing 60 kilometres. Contador, Froome and Rodriguez joined up after the final climb with Froome taking the stage. A group including fast finishes Impey and Stybar finished four second back after being unable to jump across. Last year the stage only went up Bousher Alamrat three times this year it is four, making the stage harder. Expect to see riders attack on the final climbs to gain an advantage ahead of the queen stage.

Names to watch: Chris Froome, Joaqium Rodriguez, Vincenzo Nibali, Maxim Islinskiy, Francesco Gavazzi, Fabian Cancellara, Peter Sagan, Oscar Gatto, Philippe Gilbert, Dominik Nerz, Greg van Avermaet, Tom Boonen, Zdenek Stybar, Lars Boom, Matti Breschel Leopold Konig, Daryl Impey, Michael Albasini, Cameron Meyer and Mathias Frank.

Stage 5

The stage finishes at the top of Green Mountain and will be decisive for the general classification. The 5.5km climb starts off very steep. The middle section is not as difficult providing some respite before it kicks back up again at the finish to over 10%. Joaquim Rodriguez won last year ahead of Froome and Evans but had lost time on the previous stages.

Names to watch: Chris Froome, Sergio Henao, Joaqium Rodriguez, Daniel Moreno, Vincenzo Nibali, Valerio Agnoli, Andy Schleck, Frank Schleck, Tejay van Garderen, Jurgen Van den Broeck, Domenico Pozzovivo, Robert Gesink, Roman Kreuziger, Nicholas Roche, Thibaut Pinot, Kenny Elissonde, Leopold Konig, Bartosz Huzarski, Cameron Meyer, Daryl Impey, Ivan Santaromita, Johann Tschopp, Mathias Frank and Lucas Euser.

Stage 6

Another chance for the sprinters with a flat stage. Last year Nacer Bouhanni won ahead of Matt Goss and Taylor Phinney.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ouch

Omega Pharma-Quick Step seemed in control of the sprint until mistakenly opening the door by moving from the barriers to the centre of the road. Lotto Belisol jumped at the chance to open up their lead out protected from the side wind.

"There was some shelter on the right and I think Sieberg went from twentieth wheel to the front and then held the speed really high. It was a slight head wind but we could still hold them off," Greipel explained.

It was Greipel's fourth win of the season and he had absolutely no qualms about taking advantage of OPQS's mistake.

"You can sprint or you can't sprint," he said bluntly. "That's cycling, otherwise, as I always say, we should play chess."

Stage 2 preview from Peletonwatch

Similar to stage one that is likely to again finish in a bunch sprint.