How often to change tubes

Jedi

How often should the tubes in your tyres be changed? 

My friend had trouble with tube-wear at the spots on the INSIDE of the rim where his spokes are situated.  Didn't get a puncture from outside but from inside!  The inner-tube burst from constant pressure rubbing on the area where the spokes are welded to the rim.  Seems the area was not finished off very well and had tiny impressions in the metal which caused the problem.  I know his rims are not the best and obviously the more expensive rims hopefully will be better finished off.

I have cycled about 600km on same inner-tubes (has glue/puncture gum inside to protect from punctures), but am doing my first long race at Dome and would hate to have a problem with inner tube being worn out before I even begin.  Can someone give my advice about how long the inner tubes last even if you don't get a puncture.  Thanks.

Good rim liners are hard to find these days and most the plastic ones will become brittle and crack eventually. These rather than the tubes are what needs to be replaced (unless of course the tubes are already worn like your friends). Even the worst ones should last as long as a set of tires, so I would just check them out everytime you put a new tire on.

I change mine every 3 months or so. depends on how many miles I have clocked.

Check your rim tape as well. If you get flats from the spokes side you will get flats.

Hope that helps

I did 3500km on a single tube without replacing it or fixing a puncture. The tube popped basically at the same time I needed to change tires, so did it all at once.

Just watch it with the rim tape. I use to get rub punctures from the spokes aswell and replaced the tape with Conti tape but it was so thick I could not get the tires back on. I then replaced it with the blue-ish Michelins and all is 100%.

Hi there Jedi,

It all depends how often you ride. Make sure your tires are always pumped to the correct pressure (Should be listed on the tyre). This protects the rim when going over our famous potholes/bumps and helps you cycle more efficiently. Check your tires regularly for sharp objects, I usually do this before any ride. Also use rim liner... this helps protect the tube from the rim and punctures.

Enjoy the Dome 2 Dome smiley2.gif

thats weird, i've never had a prob with tubes, normally change them when there is more punture repair than tube showing......(must be lucky, i guess)

When in doubt change the tube.  Proper rim tape is a must if you want to prevent "pressure punctures".  Also deflate the tyres to 2 bar after every use.

proper rim tape is very important,it might sound stupid to spend a lot of money on this,but compare it to the replacements of 2-3 tubes,and it starts to make sense,and thats without all the time wasted fixing flats.i like the ritchey rim tape on my road bike,stans tubeless on the mtb,now there`s a different story.works a treat

Jedi, if in doubt change it.

If you get a flat in the race it is to late. My opinion is that if something bothers you sort it before the race. Then you can concentrate on your racing. You don't need something in the back of your mind and clip a wheel. I think if the problem is more mentally than a problem with the tube, get it out of the way.

smiley4.gif

Yes I agree the Ritchey rim tape really works well...I have it on all my wheelsets and thus far no worries.....except normal flats...very seldomsmiley4.gif

"DTsmiley20.gif"