training on water only

Henley 1

Have done up to five hour rides with Camelbak filled with water only. Like most other posters here I carry a bar or two (Biogen peanut butter cookie dough is awesome. Also USN energy oats) and a gel or two as backup (GU salted caramel or USN espresso) in case of the dreaded bonk.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hi guyp

Maybe a a bit off the topic, i ride on water only if it's around 3h or less, but for the longer rides i do a mixture of juice and water. my dillema however, I use a camelback for longer rides, and lately there is a smell/taste like someone emtied a can of doom in it. I use the approved product to clean it and it is not even 2 months old, so replacing it every 2 months is not very cost effective. i have since tried bicarbonate of soda, lemon juice and vinegar on seperate occasions, still no joy. Any advice? It seriously smells/taste awefull and i am sure it cannot be good for you. I also have the brushes to clean out the bag and piping and it is most defenitely not mouldy nor is there any residue. Its like Doom i tell you!

Empty the bladder, wash/rinse and keep in freezer

I wash my bladder with Milton tablets after every ride and rinse it properly. I then hang it to dry.

Edited by Hacc

I wash my bladder with Milton tablets after every ride and rinse it properly. I then hang it to dry.

Oh the hydration pack bladder! Jeez. Some mornings I am easily confused.

<2hrs low intensity = Water

<2hrs high intensity = Diluted apple juice (50/50)

>2hrs = Diluted apple juice (50/50) + Gels/Banana

Races = Race mix + Gels (and Coke if I stop at a water table)

In my opinion, why use only water on the bike when you can consume something on the bike to aid in your recovery later/limit your losses thus not needing to replace as much of your glycogen stores? One needs optimal recovery in order to get quality rides in, day after day.

Side note: It takes a lot longer to recover from any ride that starts going over 4 hours in comparison to a ride that is 4 hours or less. The only real benefit of 5 hour rides is that they get you mentally strong. That being said we are all different, so what works for you, works for you.

Water and a couple of shots of amarula keep me going...light up a smoke at half way and bobs ur uncle.

Smoke of what, you talking about Bob Marley, right???? :woot:

The point of riding only on water is to kickstart your fat burning engine. So that's what I do. Up to 4 1/2 hrs. But then I try to keep my HR in the aerobic zone, 180-age. But I'm not always successful at that. Last ride my av hr was 15bpm too high, but I still managed only on water. I had to give my emergency gel to a diabetic buddy.