help on ghetto tubeless

Cappi

hi, need some help. I am changing a friends std 29er giant wheels(on a Giant Talon) to tubeless. did the whole tape thing, valves are in. problem comes with tyres. we bought specialized TL ready Fastrack tyres. they don't want to seat. used soap but cant get wheels to inflate. tried the garage pump, removed cores nothing seems to work. the one tyre is a 2.2 the other a 2.0. both don't wanna inflate. anybody have a trick please. I have even inverted the tyres for a while to stretch them a bit.

I have done a few on 26er wheels and pumped with a floor pump 1st time.

pls any help will be appreciated.

thanks

I struggled with giant rims and nobbies. Soapy water, garage compressor, took about 10 mins of swearing. Helps to have another set of hands to massage the tyre and try and get the bead towards the edge of the rim while inflating.

Try and seat the one side of the tyre on the rim by hand (push both sides of tyre to one side of rim while keeping tyre of the ground). Inflate while still keeping of the ground.

Here is how came right. Home compressor and garage air wouldnt work.

Valve core removed also not.

Took the wheel. Rested it on its side.

Slowely work around tyre. Pulling sides towards rim edge.

Then whack it with a large bomb.

You will hear it smack into place.

Then you intoduce sealant through the valve without valve core.

Then you can inflate with a floor pump.

Secret is to get it to seat.

Worked for me.

Good trick I heard for hard to mount tyres is first seat the tyre bead with a tube, so maybe use maxixis's trick with sealant on the bead only then fit the tyre + tube, pump tube nice and hard leave for a while so the tyre takes shape and the bead sets nice and tight to the rim , painted sealant on bead helping there as well. Then deflate the tube open a small bit of the bead on one side take out the tube , pump in some Stan's fluid and inflate , can't see that not working.

Edited by Skylark

The easiest surefire way is to add a few layers of insulation tape over the rim tape until the tire fits quite snug on the rim before you try to inflate it. Obviously you need to make a hole through the insulation tape over the valve hole.

Edited by jimmycool

cuss,swear ask why it is happening to you wash rinse repeat and then it will work just about when you want to climb into a closet roll up in a ball and suck your thumb like a infant but only then...the most important is the second pair of hands but all the above is sound.

What tape did you use? Remove all the tape from the rim and replace with proper rim tape - like Stans, the problem is that the rim is too deep - the proper rim tape makes the rim shallower, hence easier to seat. I also feel safer with a proper conversion, costs a bit more bit still a lot cheaper than having a broken jaw fixed!

Seat the tyre with a tube, then undo one bead remove the the tube and the other side should pop back in easily when you inflate it again.

Or try real the real ghetto conversion.

Leave your tape in place.

Purchase a couple of 26" presta valve tubes (preferably with removable valve cores)

Stretch the tube around the rim, inflating it a little to help get it lined up nicely.

Take a pair of scissors and cut only the outer part right around the centreline of the rim.

Fold out the flaps.

Fit the tyre so that the flaps come out between the tyre and the rim.

Apply sealant.

Inflate. I have never needed more than a footpump to inflate this way.

Trim off the excess tube sticking out the sides.

I have used this successfully on the Giant SXC2(?) rims as well as the PXC2 rims.

The thickness of the tubes under the tyre beads help it to get a tight fit for easy inflation, and I have found this method to be more reliable than the Joes strips, as well as being super cheap.

I have a Anthem 29er, and I did the tubeless myself.

Tips:

* Use Gorilla tape. This is by far the easiest, most durable way to seal and line your rim. You will have to use some elbow grease to fit it on tightly, but is quite easy. Get the 25mm one, as is. Make sure you overlap it about 20cm.

* Make little hole for valve. I use the Stan's stuff, much better IMHO than the DT Swiss stuff that comes with Giant.

* Pump and seat your tyre first with a tube, to let it push the Gorilla tape in place... Pump it hard (4 bar). Take out and check the tape.

* I have used every single tubeless tyre on the market, and have settled for the last 2 years on Spez Ground Control front and Fast Track back. I seat my tubes with a normal footpump, no bombs, compressors etc required. Same as one guy said, put on the one side first, then the other side, keeping a bit open with tyre lever to put in your Stans.

* Again, I use Stan's sealant. Not cheap, but works the best. Put about 100mm in for 2.2 tyre. Bit more if you want.

* Make sure your valve is not open to the side. Put footpump on, and pump it... Might take a couple of strokes for it to take (sorry... ;) ), but it will eventually.

SORTED.

This whole process takes me 10min per wheel.

Edited by dee_biker