Gym Membership fees & "Activation fee"..

MeridaHFS

I'm interested in joining my local Virgin Active or Planet fitness but just saw on Vitality's site that there is a once off activation fee of R1030. Did this not use to be +-R500-R700 till late last year still? Then the "card fee" of R120 comes along as well(you can buy a year permit at Rheebokskloof for R100??) Also the type of membership confuses me - if you take the "budget" membership you can only go to one gym and only at certain off peak times. If you want to be able to go the Tygervalley and Durbanville respectively you need to buy a million dollar membership!

After all is said and done, should I even consider joining such a place? If you think I should, is there anyone that cares to enlighten me on my misunderstandings, if there are any?

Somebody has to pay for my free membership, those cool red bags that they hand out nowadays when you join as well as the salaries of all those people in red shirts that seem to get paid to walk around and chat to the members for a living because I see them doing VERY little else.....

The Vitality gym structure changed a few years ago. The activation fee is higher now and your subsidy from Discovery varies according to the number of time you go to gym. If you go a lot then you pay less.

If you want the premium benefits nowadays, you unfortunately have to pay for them.

Why not choose a gym and sign up there? Means a little bit more planning but will save you a few rand.

I am with VA and sometimes its just waayyyy!! too busy, if you only going to weights or one type of equipment rather go to a smaller Private gym, I just hate the crowdedness, saying that there is some eye-candy walking around most of the time... :whistling:

The joining fee and card fee is a bit of a rip off, money for jam for the gym. As stated you get what you pay for. I have a national membership and go about four-five times a week so for me it's good value for money. If you have kids under 18 they can go for free as well although you will have to pay R120 card fee per kid.

Last year's activation fee was R 865 so it's a bit of an increase. But it's in conjunction with VA and you pay THEM. So it follows that it's VA setting those tariffs for the activation.

As for the amount of times you need to go - more than 3 per month if you want to keep your discount at 80% (67% for premier membership) less than that and it falls to a 50%discount

Don't forget that you're also tied in to a 12 month contract which is my biggest issue with the whole gym membership thing.The Idea of not being able to cancel something you are not using really doesn't sit well with me...ohh and don't get me started on the R 160.00 (if I remember correctly) once off fee I had to pay last time I went with a member to try out the gym.

Paid R675 a month. Just cancelled my membership. Will just cycle more and do some home based body weight exercises.

Also a bit gatvol of all the muscle bound gym freaks. Throwing weights around and ****. Over it

MY main reason would be to get overall fitness on par again not just cycling fitness. Not big into weights though. Reason I want to be able to go to either gym is that I'm either this side of D'ville or coming from malmesbury side and a quick swim/workout midday will save me plenty of time in the evenings to do other family activities. Guess I'll have to suck it up and pay - if my negotiation skills on the activation fee fail me :ph34r:

With Zone Fitness and pay R160 per month ... all I do is shower so in effect I am paying that for a shower facility only really .... but it pays itself back as I commute by bike :) and this is a fair sight cheaper than petrol per month

MY main reason would be to get overall fitness on par again not just cycling fitness. Not big into weights though. Reason I want to be able to go to either gym is that I'm either this side of D'ville or coming from malmesbury side and a quick swim/workout midday will save me plenty of time in the evenings to do other family activities. Guess I'll have to suck it up and pay - if my negotiation skills on the activation fee fail me :ph34r:

THey'll try to tell you it's a Vitality Charge, or a Discovery charge, or a whatever charge. It's not. But that also means it's not negotiable, by them holding someone else accountable for the charge.

With Zone Fitness and pay R160 per month ... all I do is shower so in effect I am paying that for a shower facility only really .... but it pays itself back as I commute by bike :) and this is a fair sight cheaper than petrol per month

Yeah. I exited VA about 5 months ago. Set up a pullup bar at home and some straps to do bodyweight exercises with. Also trying to increase my cycling... haven't missed it yet.

Paid R675 a month. Just cancelled my membership. Will just cycle more and do some home based body weight exercises.

Also a bit gatvol of all the muscle bound gym freaks. Throwing weights around and ****. Over it

+1

Rather spending money on cycling specific training blocks (cadence & wattbike)

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the hijack - but I have been struggling with the same decision, I was thinking of only doing spinning - is it not worth it?

Thanks

Anything is worth it if you are able to get value for your money. If you pay 100 bucks and only go once a month it is far more expensive than paying 300 bucks and going five times a week. You need to evaluate how often you will use it and then decide if the price per visit based on your usage is value for money for you.

Virgin Activ is a rip off. You pay for all this fancy equipment that you cannot use because it is so crowded or if you are lucky enough to find a treadmill that is open, you are limited to 20mins because there are 20 ppl in the que waiting their turn.

If you want to swim, you only get 3 lanes in an already over crowded pool because the swim schools have the other lanes.

Try playing squash there...........there is a waiting list on the booking procedure.

VA is a total waste. I know, used to work for them a few years back, and trained there also. I have set-up my garage into a home-style gym with old equipment. I even made my own squat-rack. Works perfectly for me. Also trying to increase time on the bike. Either way (going to gym/training at home) does involve lots of planning especially with a family. Oh, the joys of life