The "Argus" factor ?

3wings

Don't worry Caerus, your Argus time this year (even though it was your first) will count as 50% toward your seeding position for the 2015 Argus Tour. The remainder you'll need to work on as mentioned before: Die Burger, 99er, medallion etc.

Good luck !

Thanks for all the info, and well done to yourself. :thumbup:

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the info, and well done to yourself. :thumbup:

Thanks bru - I called the guys up just to check my facts before I posted - so you can take it as accurate :thumbup:

3wings - I dont know you or your circumstances but it bothers me that you put in so much effort and planning (my style too), and now you have to call it quits without really getting your target. I really hope this thread can continue about how you eventually nail it - the American feel good movie thing...

The way I read it, if you did not qualify for a seeding by completing a seeding race in a specific time, the above apply. I am not sure how to interpret it though.

Your interpretation is correct. Basically it gives those that are loyal Argus finishers a preferential start compared to the PPA / Open groups even if they didnt qualify for better seedings to be higher up the seeding levels.

naturally if one qualified for a better seeding then that would be allocated to you first before the "loyalty" groups

3wings - I dont know you or your circumstances but it bothers me that you put in so much effort and planning (my style too), and now you have to call it quits without really getting your target. I really hope this thread can continue about how you eventually nail it - the American feel good movie thing...

Thanks for the kind sentiment Talus but I don't think I'll be back.

Long and sad story - a bit too personal to share here.

Hope you understand. M

To be honest I share his sentiments to an extent. Been cycling for 3 years and with all the races I've done I can't quite crack that Sub 3. Went for a small warm up ride Saturday morning with a mate, we met my wife afterwards for coffee at the amazingly good Giovanni's in Green Point. Standing next to us are 5-6 rather loud and obviously well off chaps chatting away in good kit with even better bikes.

So good luck to them I think, until I hear on how they're so fearful of being tested as most of them are taking a Schedule 5 drug. My wife's ears hear this as she's in the medical field and tells me they were talking about Reactivan, how it's a stimulant and how bad it is for you.

Now I'm well aware that these knobs are more than likely the exception but it did make me wonder what's the point of me riding every winter at 4 am to train and to try make up for years of not cycling when these clowns are popping stimulant's and the best part is they're not even Pro's?

To be honest I share his sentiments to an extent. Been cycling for 3 years and with all the races I've done I can't quite crack that Sub 3. Went for a small warm up ride Saturday morning with a mate, we met my wife afterwards for coffee at the amazingly good Giovanni's in Green Point. Standing next to us are 5-6 rather loud and obviously well off chaps chatting away in good kit with even better bikes.

So good luck to them I think, until I hear on how they're so fearful of being tested as most of them are taking a Schedule 5 drug. My wife's ears hear this as she's in the medical field and tells me they were talking about Reactivan, how it's a stimulant and how bad it is for you.

Now I'm well aware that these knobs are more than likely the exception but it did make me wonder what's the point of me riding every winter at 4 am to train and to try make up for years of not cycling when these clowns are popping stimulant's and the best part is they're not even Pro's?

They're IDIOTS - and you don't want to be one of them, much better to be high on life than to be a fast idiot!

If you using and are not pro, then you doing it for bragging rights, not for yourself, which is stupid.

Not sure how this relates to me - my circumstances have nothing to do with other riders, how they train or the event itself which I know to be an AWESOME experience.

As I said - its personal.

They're IDIOTS - and you don't want to be one of them, much better to be high on life than to be a fast idiot!

Team DJR must have finished a few minutes ahead of me, what a shame we didn't get the chance to meet and/or for you to give me a tow ...... :whistling:

Thanks for the kind sentiment Talus but I don't think I'll be back.

Long and sad story - a bit too personal to share here.

Hope you understand. M

You never know where life takes you. Who knows. Circumstances might change, and you might get to ride the Argus again. However, I'm glad you got to ride this year. :thumbup:

Edited by GaryvdM

OK, this was what I recieved in an e-mail:

The way I read it, if you did not qualify for a seeding by completing a seeding race in a specific time, the above apply. I am not sure how to interpret it though.

hey now I know why I was in ww .......

and I predict a possible start in UU next year, hey I wonder what time uu starts? I need go get planning!

I've heard this before about Smitswinkel - its the first 'serious' climb after the long, relatively smooth, +/- 35km run from the top of Edinburgh Drive. There's a bit of a warm-up bump leaving Simon's Town, but Smits' does hit a lot of riders for some reason....after all the crowds cheering and whooping on the Muizenburg to Jubilee Square section, could it be that we all get a bit lonely/deflated out in the boondocks with only the baboons (and other riders :w00t:) for company ?

When I asked one of the riders just shy of Smitswinkel about conversing while cycling (as I was used to in training) he suggested to not do that out of concern for the disturbance it may cause to some

When I asked one of the riders just shy of Smitswinkel about conversing while cycling (as I was used to in training) he suggested to not do that out of concern for the disturbance it may cause to some

:w00t: What subject did you hope to discuss with this dude ?

We all ride for our own reasons...

Some ride to stay healthy, some to be competitive and beat others, some to be competitve with themselves to beat their own times, some for the social aspect, some even ride to get away from their partners or the stress of home or work.

Whatever your reasons are...DONT STOP just because the time you got in the Argus was not what you hoped for. There is always next year.

Personally, I always hope to achieve the best possible time I can do in the Argus but with the mass bunches and crowding all the way to Smits. I have come to realise that my Argus is probably a bit slower than what it could be had there been more space on the road, less riders, bigger start group intervals e.t.c.

As a person with many an Argus finish under the belt (read lycra), I enjoy riding my bike with like minded people and WILL certainly take every opportunity to ride the Argus for as many years to come as I can :P

Edited by Btus