Tubbie replacement in a race

Garfield2010

Hi there

I need to take a spare tubbie with for Ironman. What tubbie can you recommend that is easy to stretch and put on should I puncture.

Also can I stretch it (and how) beforehand to make it easier to put on?

Should I glue it and vacuum pack it as well or how should I go to work?

Obviously if I puncture and use the replacement I will be careful riding on it as the glue will be wet etc.

Thx

Hi there

Also can I stretch it (and how) beforehand to make it easier to put on?

Put it on a wheel. Like you normally would. Ride it a bit. Take it off, fold it up and you're good to go. It is now pre-stretched, and the glue will adhere to the rim when you stick it on after 97 kms.

Not a lot of experience with Tubbies, but what I found out is that you can basicaly use any Tubby, just pre stretch it by placing it on the rim and inflate and let it stand overnight. You obviously need a rim that does not have a tyre on yet.

No need to use glue, you can get the tape that works a lot faster, is easier to apply and also not messy like glue. As far as I understand, you can also use it immediately.

But why do you not Google / Youtube it, I'm quite sure you'll get real expert advice there.

happened to me last year on seaview road

took the punctured one of - bit of glue on the rim and loaded the new one

took 15min to replace and then rode ultra cautious because of the wet glue

ride time (including down time) 45min slower than planned, run time an hour faster

so I now have my ride run strategy for this year

Well to start off I will put new Tubbies on the week before to minimise the chance of a puncture. Apparently they also clean the roads so chances should be minimum for a puncture (if you stay in the road)

I wonder percentage wise how many guys flat per year..... And from those percentages I wonder how many of those flats are tubbies.

As the others said.

Pre-stretch the tubby, put it on a rim over-night, pumped to full cap.

During your pre-stretch exercise, try rip unglued/untapped but pumped tubby off rim. Its tough, borderline impossible

Then for IM.

I would vacuum pack, and add some tubby tape.

If you puncture, clean a few spots 6 or so 5cm long, rubbing your thumb down the rim is good enough. Add tyre and go.

I have ridden tubbies 26000 kms in 5 years( MTB + Road), walked 3 times, with punctures that sealant wouldn't close, all MTB, all with thorns/nails that have entered in the tread and exited the top portion of the side wall, then normally ripped a fair portion of the sidewall when passing through the frame.

Road, the heavy duty sealant works well, once or twice I have had to stop and bomb/pump a second time, but never had to walk or phone a friend. Maybe 3-5 mins loss in time, vs 8-12 to pull a glued or taped tubby and replace.

Hi Garfield,

You then just take your old tubbies and fold them up neatly and take one with you. They are pre-stretched offcourse because they were on your rims.

When you do get a flat (hope you dont) you take the flat tubby off. This can be difficult sometimes because of the glue. So what i do (and suggest) i leave a small 5cm space/gap exactly opposite the valve with no glue when i put the tyres on initially before the race. This allows you to get the tyre started and the you just put your weight into into it.

You put the new tyre on and bomb. The glue that is left on the rim and the new tubby that you put on will be more than sufficient to hold the tubby in place. You will not be able to corner at 50km/h on a very sharp bend.

If you get used to changing a tubby it is ALOT faster than a clincher and this whole process can be done in 1minute!!

Road, the heavy duty sealant works well, once or twice I have had to stop and bomb/pump a second time, but never had to walk or phone a friend. Maybe 3-5 mins loss in time, vs 8-12 to pull a glued or taped tubby and replace.

GR8 advice, what's the name of this road tubby sealant you use?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I have put around 1,500 - 2,000km's on my GP4000 tubbies. I will now fit my new Tufos and then take one used tubbie as a spare. It should be stretched out to make refitment easy...

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread but just some advice needed :-

1) Is it OK to use the same sealant that one uses for MTB tires

2) How much per tire is suggested

Stans has worked well for me. I put about 50ml in a 25mm tire.

No, because of the higher pressure MTB sealant does not work. 

I carry a can of tyreweld and find that it gets me home. 

Also, please make sure that when you put the new tubbie on, you inflate it properly. The pressure will help to keep it on.

I have rolled a tyre off the rim going around a corner. Lots of guys laughed, but I found it less than funny at the time