Air Travel with CO2 Cartridges

gtriggs

i figure theres a reason they don't want you to fly with them. whether its a genuine risk or a risk like using your phone at a petrol station i don't know but id rather not be flying on a plane with them on..

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't checked all the posts >>> but here is my 2 cents worth

Put the bombs (there I said it ) in your seat post and re-fit the seat post to the bike

Just put a piece of sponge in the bottom of the tube to stop them falling out

That way the X-ray won't pick them up - worked for me going to Sani2c a few times ! :ph34r:

As far as I know it depends on the airline and what they deem safe. Certain airlines both national and international do allow them and some don't.

thats interesting. I've always been told absolutely not. flying with saa recently i was asked both ways if i had any as not allowed.

An Airline can impose a more stringent requirement to the IATA guidelines on transporting Dangerous Goods. CO2 cartridges are a class 2.2 (non toxic) or Class2.3 (Toxic) depending on quantity allowed on board.

The airline can classify it as 2.3 and therefore not allow it on board or as 2.2 and allow limited quantity on board.

The CTIA - ORTIA route is the 10th busiest air traffic route on the planet so it is unsurprising that the national carrier will be more risk averse than other carriers

i figure theres a reason they don't want you to fly with them. whether its a genuine risk or a risk like using your phone at a petrol station i don't know but id rather not be flying on a plane with them on..

The risk of using a Cell phone at a petrol station is very real. The cell phone signal can affect pump readings causng it to over or underread. This has criminal consequences to the retail as an over or underreading pump outside of the calibrated allowance is considered fraud.

Cell phones on an aircraft play havoc with the communications on board. Ever stood close to a speaker or mike when your phone is looking for the network? you get that annoying bhahdaboop sound.

Now place yourself in the pilot and airtraffic controllers shoes when that sound is interrupting their navigation comms. Yes it could be a national disaster. Your cell phone is not that important so leave it in flight mode till you're in the terminal. Once the plane is plugged in at its bay its safe to turn on the phone but that is not the moment the wheels have touched the ground!!

Anyone wonder what makes an airline life vest inflate? Would you believe a C02 canister! yip you are sitting with one under each chair.

That being said, its just not worth the hassle / effort or stress of trying to get your C02 canister on board. I normally borrow a pair or buy some at the race I am flying to and then donate them to a mate

The phone at service station myth was busted years ago

Flew back with two CO2 cylinders in my bike bag back from Cape Town yesterday. They got excited at the x-ray but after clearing up what it was they cleared the bag to go.

Can we move to summarise and a conclusion?

- Opinions vary as to whether they are in fact dangerous or not to take on board, in checked luggage or on bike.

- Airlines have inconsistent rulings on this;

- Staff at luggage checks and staffing X Rays baggage checks probably will not like to see them and could well make you remove them, causing delays and stress;

Some of us have flown with them on bikes or in luggage with no problems, other times there has been problems and a big fuss made. So we can only conclude that its Pot Luck, and you will be taking a chance, worst is they will get removed, and then you have to deal with disposing them and all the stress associated with this.

Can we move to summarise and a conclusion?

- Opinions vary as to whether they are in fact dangerous or not to take on board, in checked luggage or on bike.

- Airlines have inconsistent rulings on this;

- Staff at luggage checks and staffing X Rays baggage checks probably will not like to see them and could well make you remove them, causing delays and stress;

Some of us have flown with them on bikes or in luggage with no problems, other times there has been problems and a big fuss made. So we can only conclude that its Pot Luck, and you will be taking a chance, worst is they will get removed, and then you have to deal with disposing them and all the stress associated with this.

Worst is they see it in your bike box and offload your bike without contacting you. As I said, happened at Sani 2 years ago. One spends too much money on training, entry fees, flights and accommodation to risk not having your bike on the receiving end because of a few CO2 bombs worth R100 odd. Make a plan with locals, Hubbers, or bike shops on the receiving end, and take the chance with your hand luggage.

• 3 years later...

Any updates on this? I'm keen to hear specifically re BA flights leaving from Cape Town. I have one small bomb and thinking to check it through in luggage. Advisable to declare it? Would it be BA or ACSA's call? Because BA advises no compressed gas allowed.

The phone at service station myth was busted years ago

The cellphone in a plane one as well. The airlines think an inflated tyre is a risk, yet they don't deflate all the cans of drinks they pack next to the bikes....

ACSA security staff are not linked to any specific airline.. After having issues with CO2 cartridges in checked in luggage and being advised by security staff that one is allowed a max of 2 in hand luggage, I have never had any further problems, ORTIA, Cpt and Bloemfontein.

Re the cell phone in the plane. Besides the does it interfere or does it not interfere argument, there is another reason that it's preferred that it is off. One of being attentive. Most people now a days are so focused on little screens and have very little sa (situational awareness). Imagine an evacuate command stressing evacuate left hand side only, and some box that has had his face stuck in his little screen opens the right hand door allowing fire ingress?

ACSA security staff are not linked to any specific airline.. After having issues with CO2 cartridges in checked in luggage and being advised by security staff that one is allowed a max of 2 in hand luggage, I have never had any further problems, ORTIA, Cpt and Bloemfontein.

The question was really regarding baggage check-in (flight/airline- specific). Because I'm such a goody two-shoes with these kinds of rules... All ticketing info screams no compressed gas allowed.

I did pack my one measly little bomb in luggage for the hold and that was that. But I was asked by BA staff at check-in if I had any of a long list of contraband items. I just smiled loudly so never heard anything like "gas" or "canister".

So much conflicting info about what you can/can't do in this regard. I hate that as this just doesn't make sense. Anyway if it was an issue it would have been flagged by security which obviously it wasn't.

No harm done to humans or the planet. Well, not by my 16g co2 canister anyway.

Archived