Tube vs Tubeless

Sharky535

Good day fellow cyclists

I am looking at buying a new momsen that will have tubeless ready tires and rims and I am currently running tube.

I want to know what are the pro's and con's of having tubeless over tube

What additional tools, parts, spares and extras I need to get if i'm going tubeless.

Thank you in advance.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tubeless. No 2 ways about it, its just that much better. When I started mtb I had tubes. Second ride I ran out of tubes and patches. Since then (about 8000km) I think I've had stop for about 4 punctures within the group, 2 of which mine.

Your rims are tubeless ready, but still need some work. Your LBS should be able to help you out, or you can do it yourself. Then check what tyres you have - tubeless ready will work but snakeskin/protection/tnt (this depends on the brand).

Then you just need sealant. Stans is the most popular but there are other options. Then make sure you get a tubeless puncture repair kit. If you get a "big" puncture that doesnt seal itself you will be able to seal it 9 times out of 10.

What @fanievb said, although I've never carried sealant with me.

funny thing, i always carry a small bottle when doing long rides and i've only used it once. I've helped lots of people though, always resulting in me getting a beer or two after the rides

The amount of guys I have helped out with my trusty mini pump when they have 'run out of bombs' ..... :whistling:

So my piece of advice is even if you are running tjoopless it doesn't hurt to carry a pump!

tubeless all the way.

just make sure the LBS knows what they are doing.

as far as spares go, plug kit, CO2 and adapter and a small bottle of sealant on long rides,

Thank you for the reply, what do you meen with LBS? :ph34r:

Biggest pro is running lower pressures, puncture prevention is a close 2nd...

What would be the recommended pressure on a 29'' 2.0 tire for trail riding?

The next question the ekspets are gonna ask is how much do you weigh .....

The next question the ekspets are gonna ask is how much do you weigh .....

And will there be lots of sand , rocks , roots , dung beetles on your trail .

its the pressure you feel gives you the best grip/traction. You need to go some work here: go ride: if the bike feels too sketchy, lower the pressure in stages. Go ride. rinse repeat.

if the tyre feels squishy, and rolls around under the wheel, its too soft. Increase the pressure.

As a ballpark, start with about 2.2 bar for the front, and 2.3 bar at the back. this is what i could consider on the hard side of things. But it depends on your weight, tyre and tyre compound and riding style, to quote just a few dependencies. But start there, and then start dropping the pressure as you require.