Momentum 94.7 Cycle Challenge 2014

GaryvdM

Ar

Argus is less climbing over a longer course - 1320m roughly over 113km (Argus). Haven't done Amashova.

94.7 was approx 1430m over 94 kms.

The new 94.7 is similar to the older first one's which were Jhb's toughest race - you climbed all the way in to Braamfontein from River sands up William Nicol. 

Not sure of the stats but that was more like this route.

I would say the extra 15km + the wind factor for the Argus makes a big difference in terms of difficulty, especially for the middle & back of the field.

On the flipside, I found the 94.7 route to be tougher, lots more rolling hills, very few flat sections to hide in the group, it certainly felt like more climbing than the Argus even if the total elevation is about the same. But overall I would say the Argus is slightly harder.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Check if your group says D. Apparently most of the C group got recorded as D, and so you get the start time for D and hence the faster time.

Yeah, i see I'm listed as D instead of C, hence the slightly quicker time.

C batch only has 23 people listed in it. Just checked again, and it's up to 24 people in it.

OK, so I know i'm probably going to get flamed for some of this, but here's my opinion.

I would like that it should not be possible to do a second lap in this race....

Reason being (a lot) of these "cyclists" are pushing through the starting chutes to get into another start group. My bike was clipped by a tandem, and if the lady passenger had not said sorry for "her man" , he probably would have started with a lekker PK, glued to the back of his helmet.

They then charge at high speed through people who don't have a clue about riding in bunches or pelotons. This is dangerous to your self and the non expert cyclists who are doing it for the first time.

The 94.7 is a race for everybody.

They shout at you to get out of the way, because they are "coming through".

The whole point about the different groups, is you ride with people with the same ability as you.

When you mix these abilities, then it gets dangerous.

And now the Cows.... Well I guess opinions differ according to your own circumstances.

I was pushing (assisting) a lady friend on her first 94.7 up one of those dreaded hills near the end.

I was in the middle of the road passing a group of walking cyclists, with a lot of space still on our right hand side .... and I hear "coming through" ... well I ignored this call, as I am also "coming through" and tons of space on our right ... and again "coming through mr "another charity cycling top shirt name" , so I turn around and see what I can describe as an old ice-cream delivery bike with a herd of cows around it.

Well now I understood the situation and got out of the way immediately - no questions and had a little cordial chat to one of them.

This is what the rear end of the 94,7 is all about. Its fun, its about camaraderie and everyone has their own personal goals.

Thumbs up to you guys - you rock .....

Agreed fully.The second lap heroes should be stopped.Have your race and go home.Most and I stress not all,bully and barge their way through the back markers.

I have nothing but admiration for the cows and might consider helping out next year

They need to start doing what the CT Cycle Tour do with racetec mats on route.

They used to but did not see any mats this year.

OK, so I know i'm probably going to get flamed for some of this, but here's my opinion.

I would like that it should not be possible to do a second lap in this race....

Reason being (a lot) of these "cyclists" are pushing through the starting chutes to get into another start group. My bike was clipped by a tandem, and if the lady passenger had not said sorry for "her man" , he probably would have started with a lekker PK, glued to the back of his helmet.

They then charge at high speed through people who don't have a clue about riding in bunches or pelotons. This is dangerous to your self and the non expert cyclists who are doing it for the first time.

The 94.7 is a race for everybody.

They shout at you to get out of the way, because they are "coming through".

The whole point about the different groups, is you ride with people with the same ability as you.

When you mix these abilities, then it gets dangerous.

And now the Cows.... Well I guess opinions differ according to your own circumstances.

I was pushing (assisting) a lady friend on her first 94.7 up one of those dreaded hills near the end.

I was in the middle of the road passing a group of walking cyclists, with a lot of space still on our right hand side .... and I hear "coming through" ... well I ignored this call, as I am also "coming through" and tons of space on our right ... and again "coming through mr "another charity cycling top shirt name" , so I turn around and see what I can describe as an old ice-cream delivery bike with a herd of cows around it.

Well now I understood the situation and got out of the way immediately - no questions and had a little cordial chat to one of them.

This is what the rear end of the 94,7 is all about. Its fun, its about camaraderie and everyone has their own personal goals.

Thumbs up to you guys - you rock .....

I hear what you are saying but I think you should reword your statement. If you go for a second lap and bully your way through the traffic and think the road is yours and don't respect the guy doing his first lap then you are actually a @sshole.  Chances are then you probably ticked of a few people on your first round as well.  So maybe we should say ... @ssholes should not be allowed to ride the 94.7.  The best 94.7 rides were the one that I went for the second lap and always support someone I know who did his first.  So you stick with the guy and help others and motivate the ones who suffer.  Great vibe back there.

Agreed fully.The second lap heroes should be stopped.Have your race and go home.Most and I stress not all,bully and barge their way through the back markers.

I have nothing but admiration for the cows and might consider helping out next year

Big generalization there dude.  I raced the first lap, its hammer down and speed for a time.

Did the second lap with the wife, I pushed a cow bike over Nelson Mandele bridge, pushed older ladies and gents on the hills towards the Lionpark, and generally encouraged guys and gals when they seemed disheartened.

Raced the first, but loved the second.

This is my way to take part, to give back to the sport.

I was most envious of the one or two guys who did the race on fatbikes. 

Definitely my goal for next year. 

It looked like they suffered, but I think it can be a jol.

I did my first 94.7 yesterday (Yippee!)

It was damn hard- I did it in my goal time of around 5 hours.

Compared to the Argus and Amashova how does yesterday's course compare?

Very much the same climbing as the Argus but the Argus is 15km longer which makes a huge difference, obviously better scenery than the 94.7. If you completed the 94.7 you will most definitely be able to complete the other 2 races, add about 20-30 mins for your Argus time.

Amashova is a great race, it's NOT all the way downhill from PMZ to Dbn.

Great race yesterday, that new route is super tough with those 3 bumps at the end make for some epic racing. Also enjoyed my second lap, really got into the vibe even stopped to have a warm apple sours and beer along Jan Smuts after the zoo.

The traffic looked horrendous, something needs to be done about that, I was super happy to have ridden there and not being stuck in the mess.

As for policing, saw a few people with earphones and tribars on. These people should be disqualified as there are not only dangerous to themselves but the riders around them!

This will get pick up automatically by racetec, and they will be disqualified.

(They are either ignoramuses for not knowing this, or they don't care about getting an official result.)

Rules are pretty clear - as long as you do not start before your alotted start time, you will not be disqualified. You form part of the group you start with when you eventually do start. The marshals let the guys with earlier times go through towards the front - I was one of the AA's starting in VV after 3 hours of traffic and bike issues...

Does anybody gave the gpx file of the race for me? Please and Thank you. On the 3rd last climb while waiting for friend to climb back on bike I saw that I had accidentally paused my Endomondo at the start, so I only have the profile of the last 3 climbs, such sadness. 

I rode with a guy on a propel. I was on a red and white venge with cyclelab kit.

Hey Bud,

Black & Blue Propel?

If it was, it was me....

I remember you!

Lekker ride man!

Big generalization there dude.  I raced the first lap, its hammer down and speed for a time.

Did the second lap with the wife, I pushed a cow bike over Nelson Mandele bridge, pushed older ladies and gents on the hills towards the Lionpark, and generally encouraged guys and gals when they seemed disheartened.

Raced the first, but loved the second.

This is my way to take part, to give back to the sport.

The way you rode lap 2 is perfect, its those wannabe heros going for another sub 3 lap 2 which are the problem.

Archived