Two Riders Out Of Absa Cape Epic Due To Doping

News bot

If they are found guilty, Epic has a policy that you will never again be allowed to ride Epic. Am I right in my understanding?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not from what I heard, he doesnt get paid anymore.

He withdrew himself from the team and is no longer a licenced rider.

(Disclaimer: I have no facts to back this up, 100% hearsay)

If you dont ride for a team, dont get paid and dont have a licence, you are like the rest of us, for all intended purposes, a funrider.

He 'owns' that team as far as I was aware ....

If they are found guilty, Epic has a policy that you will never again be allowed to ride Epic. Am I right in my understanding?

Yip, lifetime ban ....

Yip, lifetime ban ....

The only race in the world that dictates these conditions.

Pretty cool.

They should both be forced to still do the Epic, but without saddles.

Edit: and wear a top that says: "I dope and I"m a cheat"

That is punishment.

Edited by discostu

The way I understood it, if you are caught cheating in the Epic, then a lifetime ban for the Epic would apply.

If you are serving a 2 year ban or whatever the case might be, then you obviously wont be able to ride the Epic during that time.

So if the ex dopers like David Millar, Alexander Vinokourov, Hoffman, Ullrich etc ... that served their bans, they would not be allowed to do the Epic because they doped somewhere in their career???

A life time ban for any doper?

That does not sound right

Excluding Lance obviously, he has been banned from cycling altogether.

@ Tankman, the way I understood from the statement made on a cycling show at the time is that anyone guilty of doping after the rule was implemented is a ban from event irrespective if it was in Epic. I stand under correction but it was at the time of David George's case.

From Epic website,

http://www.cape-epic.com/involve/organisation/zero-tolerance-policy

Any athlete (professional or amateur) sanctioned by their federation or national anti-doping authority (NADA) for use of performance enhancing drugs (PEDs) after 1 January 2013, whether at another event or out of competition, will be banned for life from participating in the Absa Cape Epic. Not only will the person not be allowed to participate (as an amateur rider or UCI- licensed elite), but the individual will also be banned from being involved on any level including as a team manager.

From Epic website,

http://www.cape-epic...olerance-policy

Any athlete (professional or amateur) sanctioned by their federation or national anti-doping authority (NADA) for use of performance enhancing drugs (PEDs) after 1 January 2013, whether at another event or out of competition, will be banned for life from participating in the Absa Cape Epic. Not only will the person not be allowed to participate (as an amateur rider or UCI- licensed elite), but the individual will also be banned from being involved on any level including as a team manager.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

So "SwissVan" when were you appointed the official health police inforser seeing that now no rider with suspected healh issues are even allowed to participate in rides. So apart from asking riders to be tested for performance boosters, we are now also going to do test for being over weight, under weight, if you had a burger or beer the night before, or heaven forbid, a smoke!

Maybe you and KV just want to make a name for yourselfs?

"Bat",

Quite a reaction there (I'm assuming due to drugs kicking in) with some wild assumptions. I didn't read that in Swiss' post or tone and I couldn't agree more with him and KV. It's a pity there aren't more events who take the same stance as the Epic.

So "SwissVan" when were you appointed the official health police inforser seeing that now no rider with suspected healh issues are even allowed to participate in rides. So apart from asking riders to be tested for performance boosters...

Maybe you and KV just want to make a name for yourselfs?

Wtf

Easy to say ban them for life, but I would guess most funriders have 'doped' somewhere in the last few months leading up to the Epic by way of medicine and/or supplements etc.

I'm just highlighting the practical side although I'm completely against doping.

Maybe if testing is not limited to podium finishers then run of the mill riders will be a bit more careful about what they're putting in their systems.

As for intentionally taking performance enhancers: if you're doping for a top 3 finish or a top 300 finish - it still makes you a cheat.